    Is there a way to be able to filter network traffic by application
    (ie. choose which applications go through which network connection?)

    Thanks.
    leifp, Apr 29, 2007

  2. leifp

    Keme Guest

    leifp skrev:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two network cards in my computer, one connected to a network
    > which heavily filters the network traffic through a proxy server and
    > another on a completely open wireless network.
    >
    > I require access to both networks simultaneously to function.
    >
    > Is there a way to be able to filter network traffic by application
    > (ie. choose which applications go through which network connection?)
    >
    > Thanks.

    If the network traffic is to nodes on the local subnet, IP routing
    should take care of it automatically, provided that the two network
    cards connect to separated networks, and they do not use the same
    addressing space. In some circumstances, though, your computer may allow
    traffic from one network to reach the other, which may be undesirable.

    What, specifically, doesn't work, and how do you want it to work?
    Keme, Apr 30, 2007

  3. leifp

    why? Guest

    On 29 Apr 2007 15:50:48 -0700, leifp wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have two network cards in my computer, one connected to a network
    >which heavily filters the network traffic through a proxy server and
    >another on a completely open wireless network.
    >
    >I require access to both networks simultaneously to function.

    You don't already from the PC with the 2 NICS? With the correct IP
    address / subnet mask and gateway it should work automatically.

    If you have an application A on NIC 1 side, and app B on NIC 2 (wireless
    bit) side then simply using the correct IP will route to the correct
    network.

    On the other hand if you want to go from the NIC A side (a PC called A1)
    to use wireless you have to enable routing on the PC with 2 NICS and
    tell systems it's a gateway from network A to B.

    >Is there a way to be able to filter network traffic by application
    >(ie. choose which applications go through which network connection?)

    Generally creating a firewall rule for any specific ports the
    application uses and deny / allow as appropriate.

    There are firewall systems called application gateways, these create 2
    connections client-proxy and proxy-destination.

    There are some application security components in the Cisco ASA boxes,
    White paper
    Securing Business Applications with Cisco ASA 5500 Series
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_white_paper0900aecd802c967e.shtml

    Home page for ASA devices
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/index.html

    Me.