    My question is.
    Can I use my laptop screen as a normal display and the other 2 screens
    as cloned screens of my laptop?.
    ChronicBoy, Feb 26, 2011

  2. ChronicBoy

    Paul Guest

    ChronicBoy wrote:
    > Good day
    >
    > I have a quick question.
    > i was wondering. I have a laptop with an HDMI connector and a VGA
    > connector.
    > I would like to use both connectors to connect external screens.
    >
    > My question is.
    > Can I use my laptop screen as a normal display and the other 2 screens
    > as cloned screens of my laptop?.

    On an older laptop, you may be limited to two of the three outputs
    being active at any one time. One of the screens will likely have
    to stay blank.

    *******

    These are some of the newest options. First one is from ATI.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyefinity#Multi-display_technologies

    The latest ATI graphics processors, have increased the number of
    Display Pipelines. Traditionally, the number was limited to two,
    which is why I made my opening statement above. But this is how
    a modern ATI GPU works now. It has up to six display pipelines.
    The only limit in an implementation, is the number of connectors
    provided on the right of the picture. For cost reasons, they may
    not all be present or used. You'll notice as well, that many
    of they are DisplayPort type.

    http://pcper.com/images/reviews/783/crossbar.jpg

    This is an example of an Acer Ferrari One laptop, which can drive
    three monitors at once. It uses Eyefinity and an ATI GPU internally.
    Some kind of external box is used to drive the connectors.

    http://techgage.com/images/news/ati_mobile_eyefinity_010710_thumb.jpg

    Nvidia did their own version, but it involves more than one graphics
    card or GPU. I don't know if Nvidia has an exact equivalent to
    Eyefinity. This appears to be mainly a software solution.

    http://blogs.nvidia.com/2010/06/3d-vision-surround-now-available-another-reason-to-love-pc-gaming/

    So if you have enough cash, you can do three monitors. But with
    older laptops, you may be limited to driving two screens.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 26, 2011

  3. ChronicBoy

    Double-Aces Guest

    On Feb 26, 11:44 am, ChronicBoy <> wrote:
    > Good day
    >
    > I have a quick question.
    > i was wondering. I have a laptop with an HDMI connector and a VGA
    > connector.
    > I would like to use both connectors to connect external screens.
    >
    > My question is.
    > Can I use my laptop screen as a normal display and the other 2 screens
    > as cloned screens of my laptop?.

    You didn't mention what OS you are
    running........................Note, in win-7 you can also run a
    monitor off of a usb port, with the use of a cable which contains it's
    own video card.
    Double-Aces, Feb 27, 2011