    Device mager reconigses both graphics but only one monitor.
    Can anyone advise.

    Peiper
    peiper, Dec 4, 2004

  2. peiper

    Valverdez Guest

    "peiper" <> wrote in message
    news:cosmq9$g54$...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone help.
    > Im running XP. my pc has a NVIDIA RIVA TNT MODEL 64 agp grapic card.
    > I installed a matrox millenium 2 pci card.
    > I installed my new monitor and they both came on but
    > pc bypassed both my original monitor and the nvidia.
    > I changed monitors in back off matrox and the new one worked.So somehow
    > the
    > nvidia is being bypassed.
    > Device mager reconigses both graphics but only one monitor.
    > Can anyone advise.
    >
    > Peiper

    Now don't quote me on this but I think... In order for both to work
    properly, you need to have two identical video cards installed, other wise,
    one driver gets promoted to default and will take over, canceling out the
    other. Therefore one or the other will not work. I know this to be true
    for Windows 98 SE but have not tried installing a second monitor in Windows
    XP.

    Again, not 100% sure but if you get others confirming this I would try
    getting my hands on two identical cards, anything you can get and try that.

    Valverde
    Valverdez, Dec 4, 2004

  3. peiper

    Ron Martell Guest

    "peiper" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Can anyone help.
    >Im running XP. my pc has a NVIDIA RIVA TNT MODEL 64 agp grapic card.
    >I installed a matrox millenium 2 pci card.
    >I installed my new monitor and they both came on but
    >pc bypassed both my original monitor and the nvidia.
    >I changed monitors in back off matrox and the new one worked.So somehow the
    >nvidia is being bypassed.
    >Device mager reconigses both graphics but only one monitor.
    >Can anyone advise.
    >
    >Peiper

    I don't quite understand your problem.

    Are you getting no image whatever on the one monitor, regardless of
    which video card you connect it to?

    What does Control Panel - Display - Settings show you? Does the
    graphic show two monitors or just one?

    Click on the Advanced button in Control Panel - Settings - Display and
    go to the Adapter tab. Does it list both the Matrox and nVidia
    adapters?

    The answers to the above questions will help to more precisely define
    the nature of your problem and will also help to identify the correct
    solution.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 4, 2004
  4. On Sat 04 Dec 2004 04:12:24p, Valverdez drooled the following utter
    nonsense in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "peiper" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>

    >snip

    > Now don't quote me on this but I think... In order for both to
    > work properly, you need to have two identical video cards
    > installed, other wise, one driver gets promoted to default and
    > will take over, canceling out the other. Therefore one or the
    > other will not work. I know this to be true for Windows 98 SE but
    > have not tried installing a second monitor in Windows XP.

    snip>

    Not true. I had one box set up with an Nvidia, an ATI Radeon, and an
    old Permedia (1 AGP, 2 PCI) card and three monitors, and all worked
    fine in W98SE.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 5, 2004
  5. peiper

    Valverdez Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
    > On Sat 04 Dec 2004 04:12:24p, Valverdez drooled the following utter
    > nonsense in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    > snip>
    >
    > Not true. I had one box set up with an Nvidia, an ATI Radeon, and an
    > old Permedia (1 AGP, 2 PCI) card and three monitors, and all worked
    > fine in W98SE.
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

    LOL I said don't freakin quote me on this and what does he do, he freakin
    quotes me on this !!! Honestly, I tried it once and I had a problem until I
    swapped out the cards for two identical cards... Glad it worked ok for you
    though, it surprises me to hear but I don't doubt it, just wondering why it
    din't work for me...

    Valverde
    Valverdez, Dec 5, 2004
  6. On 05 Dec 2004, Valverdez scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
    >> On Sat 04 Dec 2004 04:12:24p, Valverdez drooled the following
    >> utter nonsense in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> snip>
    >>
    >> Not true. I had one box set up with an Nvidia, an ATI Radeon, and
    >> an old Permedia (1 AGP, 2 PCI) card and three monitors, and all
    >> worked fine in W98SE.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Old Sourdough
    >> BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

    > LOL I said don't freakin quote me on this and what does he do, he
    > freakin quotes me on this !!! Honestly, I tried it once and I had
    > a problem until I swapped out the cards for two identical cards...
    > Glad it worked ok for you though, it surprises me to hear but I
    > don't doubt it, just wondering why it din't work for me...
    >
    > Valverde

    There are occasions when configuring multiple monitors/cards can be
    tricky, but in my experience, most of the time it's pretty
    straightforward. The most I use any more is a dual setup, 'cuz three
    monitors is one more than I've got eyes. :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 5, 2004