    opening a generic Word window each time and going Open>etc. I'd like him to
    be able to just double-click on the icons for each doc & have them open in
    their own instance of Word.

    Karl Engel, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Karl Engel

    Mike Easter Guest

    Karl Engel wrote:
    > On my Dad's computer (I'm giving him some lessons), when he opens
    > multiple Word documents they each open as windows within a single
    > instance of Word,

    That sounds right to me.

    > whereas on mine each opens in its own discrete Word
    > window, which might use more resources but I find easier to manage.

    That doesn't sound right to me; nor should it be easier to manage. One
    should be able to transition between multiple Word docs just fine while
    working within a single instance of the Word app.

    You haven't discussed the hardware and software resources of each
    computer except for mentioning Word97 & Word2003. What about the OS of
    each computer, what about the cpu and ram?

    The most likely thing is that your Dad's computer is doing it just fine
    and if your computer isn't doing it like that then something is 'wrong'
    with your configuration and you should fix yours, not his.

    > I'd like him to be able to just
    > double-click on the icons for each doc & have them open in their own
    > instance of Word.

    Well then maybe you shouldn't be the teacher giving lessons.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Karl Engel wrote:

    > On my Dad's computer (I'm giving him some lessons), when he opens
    > multiple Word documents they each open as windows within a single
    > instance of Word, whereas on mine each opens in its own discrete Word
    > window, which might use more resources but I find easier to manage. I
    > think he's using Word 97, I've got 2003.

    You are describing the default behavior for Word 97 and 2003.

    97 is SDI. Single Document Interface
    2003 is MDI. Multiple Document Interface

    > Is there a way to make his behave like mine?

    I would think you would prefer SDI. I certainly do. Like tabs in my
    browser window, instead of a whole mess of separate browser windows.
    (You are using a modern tabbed browser, aren't you? Firefox.. Opera..)

    When I used to use Microsoft products, I had Word (Office) 97. My place
    of work used something newer (2000, I think - I'm retired now). I hated
    having to have multiple windows open all taking space on the taskbar.

    > Other than literally opening a generic Word window each time and going
    > Open>etc. I'd like him to be able to just double-click on the icons
    > for each doc & have them open in their own instance of Word.

    Nope. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Karl Engel

    pcbutts1 Guest

    There is a setting in word 97 in the options menu to change that, you will
    have to search for it because I don't remember but I know it can be done.

    pcbutts1, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Karl Engel

    Matusko

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Mike - Not everyone is a guru like yourself or works like you do or thinks logically like you do, and certainly not everyone easily adapts to Microsoft's changes. There is a world of people with older computers. Lots of people love consistency and get use to the way Microsoft behaves on legacy systems. If there is a way to make things work the old way - all the power to them. Don't blast their intelligence just because Microsoft changed something.

    Matusko, Mar 15, 2012
  6. Karl Engel

    billrowe

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Word 2003 Multiple Windows

    I had a problem with Word 2003 opening two instances for one document. One instance had the document, the other was blank.

    When I tried to close the blank one, Word went into a long, if not infinite, loop and I had to reboot.

    I was able to fix this and get one instance with one document by going to tools:eek:ptions:view and uncheck "Windows In Taskbar". This was somewhat counter-intuitive, but it worked for me.

    billrowe, Sep 8, 2012