Multiple Instances of Excel on 64-bit Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by CTB, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. CTB

    CTB Guest

    Cross Posted:
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    microsoft.public.excel

    (NOTE: This is not a question about getting each Excel file to open in
    a new instance. Please read carefully)

    Hello all,

    On my old system (WinXP Pro, Excel 2003, and Excel 2007):
    - If no instances of XL are open and I open an XL file from Win
    Explorer, XL would open (don't recall if it is same version every time
    or if it would switch), and then the file would open.
    - If an instance of XL is open and I open an XL file from Win
    Explorer, the file would be opened in the existing instance of XL.
    - If an instance of XL2003 and an instance of XL2007 is open and I
    open an XL file from Win Explorer, the file would be opened in the
    version of XL that is higher up in the Z-Order. I could control which
    version of XL to open the file in by making sure I make that version
    active before trying to open the file from Explorer. The same holds
    true if I had 2 instances of XL2003 open (I assume it would be true
    for 2 instances of XL2007, but I don't recall ever trying that).

    I LIKE THE WAY THIS WORKS!!! I want all XL files to open in the same
    instance by default, but I want the ability to open them in different
    instances (without using XL's Open command or dragging and dropping)
    should I choose.

    My new system (64-bit Win7 and XL2010 (looks to be 32-bit XL)) does
    not work the same way. If I have 2 instances of XL2010 open, any XL
    file I open from Explorer always opens in the first instance of XL,
    regardless of Z-Order.

    Is there any system hacks/registry tweaks that can get the new system
    behaving like the old XP system was?

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

    CTB
    CTB, Nov 17, 2011

  2. CTB

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 11/16/2011 7:44 PM, CTB wrote:
    > Cross Posted:
    > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    > microsoft.public.excel
    >

    > (NOTE: This is not a question about getting each Excel file to open in
    > a new instance. Please read carefully)
    >

    > Hello all,
    >
    > On my old system (WinXP Pro, Excel 2003, and Excel 2007):
    > - If no instances of XL are open and I open an XL file from Win
    > Explorer, XL would open (don't recall if it is same version every time
    > or if it would switch), and then the file would open.
    > - If an instance of XL is open and I open an XL file from Win
    > Explorer, the file would be opened in the existing instance of XL.
    > - If an instance of XL2003 and an instance of XL2007 is open and I
    > open an XL file from Win Explorer, the file would be opened in the
    > version of XL that is higher up in the Z-Order. I could control which
    > version of XL to open the file in by making sure I make that version
    > active before trying to open the file from Explorer. The same holds
    > true if I had 2 instances of XL2003 open (I assume it would be true
    > for 2 instances of XL2007, but I don't recall ever trying that).
    >
    > I LIKE THE WAY THIS WORKS!!! I want all XL files to open in the same
    > instance by default, but I want the ability to open them in different
    > instances (without using XL's Open command or dragging and dropping)
    > should I choose.
    >
    > My new system (64-bit Win7 and XL2010 (looks to be 32-bit XL)) does
    > not work the same way. If I have 2 instances of XL2010 open, any XL
    > file I open from Explorer always opens in the first instance of XL,
    > regardless of Z-Order.
    >
    > Is there any system hacks/registry tweaks that can get the new system
    > behaving like the old XP system was?
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
    >
    > CTB

    I use this script to make Excel 2003 the default on
    Windows 7 x64:

    rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version...
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver

    rem Then enter this to specify the default version...
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver

    I use this script to make Excel 2010 the default on
    Windows 7 x64:

    rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version...
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver

    rem Then enter this to specify the default version...
    "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /regserver

    Note that I installed Excel 2003 in the non-default
    directory.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Nov 17, 2011