Multiple instance VNC with single port

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bpodgursky@gmail.com, May 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    To begin, I'm not quite as stupid as my question suggests; I'm in a
    sticky situation here.

    Becuase of network constraints, I have basically only one port
    avaliable for forwarding (please, I know all about how to forward
    ports, but trust me, I have only one avaliable). I am also trying to
    set up a VNC server, but would like multiple instances of VNC on the
    server at the same time (each with their own desktops).

    Is there a way to run multiple instances of VNC on one computer that
    uses a single port? It seems to me there would be software that can
    encrypt the data going into the channel on one end such that software
    at the other end can do the opposite and tell what "port" the data
    packet was intended for, and route it accordingly.

    In other words, the software would encrypt all data aimed towards
    certain ports on a computer and encrypt it through a single port, and
    then will on the other end unpackage the data and direct it to the
    originally intended ports.

    I'm probably hopelessly naiive, but has anyone heard of software that
    can do this? Or does anyone know how to do this with SSH, or something
    similar? My coding's a bit rusty, so I'd prefer finding something
    already written before I dive into a project like this.

    Thanks
    , May 18, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    > To begin, I'm not quite as stupid as my question suggests; I'm in a
    > sticky situation here.
    >
    > Becuase of network constraints, I have basically only one port
    > avaliable for forwarding (please, I know all about how to forward
    > ports, but trust me, I have only one avaliable). I am also trying to
    > set up a VNC server, but would like multiple instances of VNC on the
    > server at the same time (each with their own desktops).
    >
    > Is there a way to run multiple instances of VNC on one computer that
    > uses a single port? It seems to me there would be software that can
    > encrypt the data going into the channel on one end such that software
    > at the other end can do the opposite and tell what "port" the data
    > packet was intended for, and route it accordingly.
    >
    > In other words, the software would encrypt all data aimed towards
    > certain ports on a computer and encrypt it through a single port, and
    > then will on the other end unpackage the data and direct it to the
    > originally intended ports.
    >
    > I'm probably hopelessly naiive, but has anyone heard of software that
    > can do this? Or does anyone know how to do this with SSH, or
    > something similar? My coding's a bit rusty, so I'd prefer finding
    > something already written before I dive into a project like this.
    >
    > Thanks

    VNC controls "THE" desktop, and there is only one. If you want multiple
    desktops then install a terminal server.

    You can port VNC through SSH but you still only get one desktop.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Chadwick Stone©, May 18, 2006

  3. Ingeborg Guest

    wrote in news:1147925249.011077.320770
    @j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Sounds like VPN. Have a look at Hamachi. <www.hamachi.cc>
    Ingeborg, May 18, 2006
  4. x1134x Guest

    wrote:

    If you want to control multiple *different* pcs behind a firewall
    through one port you can use the repeater, but as previously mentioned
    there is only one "desktop" that can be controlled per PC running the
    VNC server. IF you want multiple desktops from one server you must use
    terminal services, which requires rediculous licensing when not used in
    administrative mode (admin mode limits the number of sessions to 3)

    x1134x
    x1134x, May 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    I plan on using a Linux VNC service, which is much better than Windows
    at running multiple instances at the same time; there are options for
    terminal services. I looked at the Windows options, and decided they
    were way overpriced.
    , May 19, 2006
  6. x1134x Guest

    wrote:
    > I plan on using a Linux VNC service, which is much better than Windows
    > at running multiple instances at the same time; there are options for
    > terminal services. I looked at the Windows options, and decided they
    > were way overpriced.

    Good show. Then look through your Linux VNC documentation. It should
    handle multiple connections on different ports or on a port range. i.e
    5900-5999 are VNC ports. Just setup your router to forward TCP on
    those ports to the IP of your Linux box.

    x1134x
    x1134x, May 19, 2006