multiple identities

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Steve T, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Steve T

    Steve T Guest

    Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability? Thanks,
    Steve T
     
    Steve T, Dec 29, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    > Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability? Thanks,


    Yes. You can use multiple profiles.

    Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
    by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
    want to use.

    > Steve T


    I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
    Original".

    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
     
    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 29, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Steve T

    Alex Guest

    ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:

    > (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >
    >> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >> Thanks,

    >
    >
    > Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >
    > Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
    > by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
    > want to use.


    But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
    have access to my mail or other settings?

    >
    >> Steve T

    >
    >
    > I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
    > Original".
    >


    Why? What's wrong with the above??

    Alex
     
    Alex, Dec 29, 2004
    #3
  4. Steve T

    Moz Champion Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >
    >> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >>> Thanks,

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>
    >> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run
    >> TB by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile
    >> you want to use.

    >
    >
    > But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
    > have access to my mail or other settings?
    >
    >>
    >>> Steve T

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I find it humorous that your headers show "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed;
    >> Original".
    >>

    >
    > Why? What's wrong with the above??
    >
    > Alex


    You dont even need Multiple profiles, you can have several accounts in
    one profile.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Dec 29, 2004
    #4
  5. On 2004-12-29, Alex <> wrote:
    >::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >
    >> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >>> Thanks,

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>
    >> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
    >> by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
    >> want to use.


    > But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
    > have access to my mail or other settings?


    If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
    stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the owner can see them.


    --
    -John ()
     
    John Thompson, Dec 30, 2004
    #5
  6. Steve T

    Alex Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2004-12-29, Alex <> wrote:
    >
    >>::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>(On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >>>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>>
    >>>Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run TB
    >>>by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile you
    >>>want to use.

    >
    >
    >>But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine won't
    >>have access to my mail or other settings?

    >
    >
    > If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
    > stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the owner can see them.
    >
    >

    Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
    Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client part
    of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have the same
    function.
     
    Alex, Dec 30, 2004
    #6
  7. Steve T

    Moz Champion Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-12-29, Alex <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >>>>> Thanks,
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>>>
    >>>> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or run
    >>>> TB by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever profile
    >>>> you want to use.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine
    >>> won't have access to my mail or other settings?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version (NT/2k/XP),
    >> your profiles are
    >> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only the
    >> owner can see them.
    >>

    > Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
    > Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client part
    > of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have the same
    > function.


    Not quite.

    Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla suite
    Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted from)
    and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho its
    'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more than that.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Dec 30, 2004
    #7
  8. Steve T

    Alex Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Alex wrote:
    >
    >> John Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2004-12-29, Alex <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this capability?
    >>>>>> Thanks,
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or
    >>>>> run TB by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever
    >>>>> profile you want to use.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine
    >>>> won't have access to my mail or other settings?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version
    >>> (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
    >>> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only
    >>> the owner can see them.

    >>
    >> Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
    >> Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client
    >> part of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have
    >> the same function.

    >
    >
    > Not quite.
    >
    > Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla suite
    > Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted from)
    > and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho its
    > 'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more than that.
    >

    So, is it better to have individual T'Bird and F'Fox instead of the
    Mozilla?? What your point of view??
     
    Alex, Jan 4, 2005
    #8
  9. Steve T

    Moz Champion Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Alex wrote:
    >>
    >>> John Thompson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2004-12-29, Alex <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> ::..BRIAN..:: wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> (On 12/28/2004 7:15 PM) Steve T wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Running OE with multiple identities. Does TB have this
    >>>>>>> capability? Thanks,
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Yes. You can use multiple profiles.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Modify the shortcut by adding a "-p" at the end of the target or
    >>>>>> run TB by typing "thunderbird -p" and create or select whichever
    >>>>>> profile you want to use.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> But how can I make sure that the other users on the same machine
    >>>>> won't have access to my mail or other settings?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> If you're using TB on *nix or any NT based Windows version
    >>>> (NT/2k/XP), your profiles are
    >>>> stored in separate directories with permissions set such that only
    >>>> the owner can see them.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
    >>> Btw, I wonder as it seems to me that TB is actually the mail client
    >>> part of the Mozilla without browser. So I'd suppose they should have
    >>> the same function.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Not quite.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird was originally based on the same coding as the Mozilla
    >> suite Mail component, but was then added to, (and yes even subtracted
    >> from) and has grown into a full bodied application of its own. Tho
    >> its 'roots' may be in the Mozilla suite Mail component, it is more
    >> than that.
    >>

    > So, is it better to have individual T'Bird and F'Fox instead of the
    > Mozilla?? What your point of view??


    Its a matter of choice.
    If you want an all in one Internet application, then the suite is what
    you are looking for, if you want individual applications then use
    Firefox and Thunderbird.

    Using Firefox, you are free to choose your own mail application, while
    Thunderbird is recommended in that situation, it can be any other mail
    application if you wish.

    Personally I prefer the suite model, but thats simply MY choice, my
    preference, not that its *better*

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Jan 4, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mr Moneypenny

    Outlook Express Identities

    Mr Moneypenny, Jul 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    510
    rifleman
    Jul 10, 2003
  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Outlook Express Identities

    Jack B. Pollack, Nov 4, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    523
    s n u f f y
    Nov 4, 2003
  3. dd

    transfer identities

    dd, Dec 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    394
  4. sue.wilson6

    Multiple Identities in Outlook Express

    sue.wilson6, Sep 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    979
    Emrys Davies
    Sep 12, 2004
  5. PhotoMan

    Online retailers/multiple identities !

    PhotoMan, Mar 23, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    317
    Oliver Costich
    Mar 25, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page