    know this can work. What am I doing wrong?

    TIA

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Dan

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/14/2006 10:33 PM, Dan wrote:
    > I recently added the latest TBird to my wife's new laptop. She has 3
    > email accounts in there, her business server based account, a hotmail
    > account (via hotmail popper) and a gmail account. SMTP server for all 3
    > is the gmail. Default account is her work email. Whenever she writes
    > to someone using her work email, the reply comes to the gmail. Not sure
    > if this happens with her hotmail, she's on a business trip right now so
    > I don't have direct access to her machine. I have seen this happen with
    > my own TBird setup, but I can't for the life of me recall how I sorted
    > it out. My TBird has 8 emails, 1 from my ISP, 1 gmail & 6 hotmails
    > (again, hotmail popper), default is one of the hotmails & SMTP is my
    > ISP's server, yet each account gets responses to mail sent from it, so I
    > know this can work. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    Probably, account 1 on your wife's laptop uses an outgoing
    e-mail address at gmail. You can create an account that sends
    e-mail under a different identity that what is used to
    retrieve e-mail, and that's probably what's happened on the
    laptop.

    Mumia W., Aug 15, 2006

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 08/14/2006 10:33 PM, Dan wrote:
    >> I recently added the latest TBird to my wife's new laptop. She has 3
    >> email accounts in there, her business server based account, a hotmail
    >> account (via hotmail popper) and a gmail account. SMTP server for all
    >> 3 is the gmail. Default account is her work email. Whenever she
    >> writes to someone using her work email, the reply comes to the gmail.
    >> Not sure if this happens with her hotmail, she's on a business trip
    >> right now so I don't have direct access to her machine. I have seen
    >> this happen with my own TBird setup, but I can't for the life of me
    >> recall how I sorted it out. My TBird has 8 emails, 1 from my ISP, 1
    >> gmail & 6 hotmails (again, hotmail popper), default is one of the
    >> hotmails & SMTP is my ISP's server, yet each account gets responses to
    >> mail sent from it, so I know this can work. What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Probably, account 1 on your wife's laptop uses an outgoing e-mail
    > address at gmail. You can create an account that sends e-mail under a
    > different identity that what is used to retrieve e-mail, and that's
    > probably what's happened on the laptop.

    If by "outgoing email address at gmail" you mean the smtp, it is gmail,
    but I only use one smtp for all 8 accounts in my tbird & this doesn't
    happen (to clarify, she sends a mail from address 1 & replies come to
    the gmail account, call it address 2). If "outgoing email address at
    gmail" is something other than the smtp, where is this set?

    Thanks

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Dan

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/15/2006 11:41 AM, Dan wrote:
    > [...] If "outgoing email address at
    > gmail" is something other than the smtp, where is this set?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan

    Tools/Options/<Your-Account>/Email-Address

    When someone receives e-mail from you, that is the e-mail
    address they think it came from, so when they reply, they send
    back to that e-mail address.

    Mumia W., Aug 15, 2006
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 08/15/2006 11:41 AM, Dan wrote:
    >> [...] If "outgoing email address at gmail" is something other than
    >> the smtp, where is this set?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Tools/Options/<Your-Account>/Email-Address
    >
    > When someone receives e-mail from you, that is the e-mail address they
    > think it came from, so when they reply, they send back to that e-mail
    > address.

    Thanks for the reply. I checked this, the address in the setting you
    mention (actually it's Tools/Account
    settings/<Your-Account>/Email-Address) is correct. Any other possibilities?

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 15, 2006
  6. Dan

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/15/2006 04:52 PM, Dan wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> On 08/15/2006 11:41 AM, Dan wrote:
    >>> [...] If "outgoing email address at gmail" is something other than
    >>> the smtp, where is this set?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> Tools/Options/<Your-Account>/Email-Address
    >>
    >> When someone receives e-mail from you, that is the e-mail address they
    >> think it came from, so when they reply, they send back to that e-mail
    >> address.

    > Thanks for the reply. I checked this, the address in the setting you
    > mention (actually it's Tools/Account
    > settings/<Your-Account>/Email-Address) is correct. Any other
    > possibilities?
    >
    > Dan

    What do you mean by correct? Are you talking about your wife's
    laptop? If so, and if you mean that the address in the above
    location is the address she wants to receive responses on (the
    work address), yet responses still come to gmail, then I'm out
    of ideas.

    Mumia W., Aug 16, 2006
  7. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:

    > What do you mean by correct? Are you talking about your wife's laptop?
    > If so, and if you mean that the address in the above location is the
    > address she wants to receive responses on (the work address), yet

    Yes, that's what I meant. Even though everything in account 1 is set to
    account 1 except the smtp, which is account 2, when someone replies to
    an email from account 1, it goes to account 2. I've seen this before
    with tbird & resloved it, but I can't remember how.

    Thanks for your replies.

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 16, 2006