    It would seem this would be a common problem but neither network
    administrator is aware of a solution.

    Any ideas?

    Bob Peterson, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Bob Peterson

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Bob Peterson" <> wrote in message
    news:bhrlbr$2fhg5$-berlin.de...
    > I have a laptop I use at two locations on two different corporate

    networks.

    > The network administrators tell me there is no way to setup my PC so I can
    > log on to whichever network I happen to be attached to with my username

    from
    > that network, thus when I want to log in at the other location I have to

    get
    > a network administrator to allow me to attach to that domain, which seems

    > eliminate any capacity to attach to the other network.
    >
    > It would seem this would be a common problem but neither network
    > administrator is aware of a solution.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    What services are you getting from both?

    Why not use one as your primary domain, but use the IP space of the other.
    When you use a resource (such as a file share) you will be prompted for a
    password, simply put in the one appropriate for where you are at.

    Maybe you should re-think the setup and figure out what you can do, do you
    REALLY need to get on both domains? Why not have two partitions and boot to
    two different operating systems one on each domain? Why not use an old
    piece of crap PC and a USB drive at one place to move files? If this is the
    same company, why don't those cheap bastards have a WAN that can handle one
    domain in two locations? [etc]

    (BTW, they are right, you can't do that. And, if you were my user, you'd be
    told to **** off after the second time asking to get on the domain. So
    count yourself lucky your admins dont have the same power/are nicer.)

    JabberSmith, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    "JabberSmith" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a laptop I use at two locations on two different corporate

    > networks.
    > >
    > > The network administrators tell me there is no way to setup my PC so I

    can
    > > log on to whichever network I happen to be attached to with my username

    > from
    > > that network, thus when I want to log in at the other location I have to

    > get
    > > a network administrator to allow me to attach to that domain, which

    seems
    > > eliminate any capacity to attach to the other network.
    > >
    > > It would seem this would be a common problem but neither network
    > > administrator is aware of a solution.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > What services are you getting from both?
    >
    > Why not use one as your primary domain, but use the IP space of the other.
    > When you use a resource (such as a file share) you will be prompted for a
    > password, simply put in the one appropriate for where you are at.
    >
    > Maybe you should re-think the setup and figure out what you can do, do you
    > REALLY need to get on both domains? Why not have two partitions and boot

    > two different operating systems one on each domain? Why not use an old
    > piece of crap PC and a USB drive at one place to move files? If this is

    the
    > same company, why don't those cheap bastards have a WAN that can handle

    one
    > domain in two locations? [etc]
    >
    > (BTW, they are right, you can't do that. And, if you were my user, you'd

    be
    > told to **** off after the second time asking to get on the domain. So
    > count yourself lucky your admins dont have the same power/are nicer.)

    I considered having two disk drives, but its a bit of a hassle, and its two
    different companies, geographically separate.

    These administrators apparently are more mature and responsible than you,
    fortunately and recognize the need to take care of the users of their
    networks rather than going off half cocked with petty power trips.

    Bob Peterson, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Bob Peterson

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:52:42 -0500, Bob Peterson wrote:

    >I have a laptop I use at two locations on two different corporate networks.
    >
    >The network administrators tell me there is no way to setup my PC so I can
    >log on to whichever network I happen to be attached to with my username from
    >that network, thus when I want to log in at the other location I have to get
    >a network administrator to allow me to attach to that domain, which seems to

    <snip>
    If it's a case of switching swttings, as the domain machine accounts
    should now already exist try,

    http://www.netswitcher.com/
    We have used this before, mainly for laptops using dial-in home , LAN
    home and the corporate LAN.

    Me

    why?, Aug 19, 2003
  5. "Bob Peterson" <> wrote:

    >"JabberSmith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob Peterson" <> wrote in message
    >> > I have a laptop I use at two locations on two different corporate

    >> networks.
    >> >
    >> > The network administrators tell me there is no way to setup my PC so I

    >can
    >> > log on to whichever network I happen to be attached to with my username

    >> from
    >> > that network, thus when I want to log in at the other location I have to

    >> get
    >> > a network administrator to allow me to attach to that domain, which

    >seems
    >> > eliminate any capacity to attach to the other network.
    >> >
    >> > It would seem this would be a common problem but neither network
    >> > administrator is aware of a solution.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >

    >> What services are you getting from both?
    >>
    >> Why not use one as your primary domain, but use the IP space of the other.
    >> When you use a resource (such as a file share) you will be prompted for a
    >> password, simply put in the one appropriate for where you are at.
    >>
    >> Maybe you should re-think the setup and figure out what you can do, do you
    >> REALLY need to get on both domains? Why not have two partitions and boot

    >> two different operating systems one on each domain? Why not use an old
    >> piece of crap PC and a USB drive at one place to move files? If this is

    >the
    >> same company, why don't those cheap bastards have a WAN that can handle

    >one
    >> domain in two locations? [etc]
    >>
    >> (BTW, they are right, you can't do that. And, if you were my user, you'd

    >be
    >> told to **** off after the second time asking to get on the domain. So
    >> count yourself lucky your admins dont have the same power/are nicer.)
    >>

    >I considered having two disk drives, but its a bit of a hassle, and its two
    >different companies, geographically separate.
    >
    >These administrators apparently are more mature and responsible than you,
    >fortunately and recognize the need to take care of the users of their
    >networks rather than going off half cocked with petty power trips.

    If so, then they're in the minority:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=bofh

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 20, 2003