Multiple Cisco 3500-XL and Protected ports.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Is someone able to please confirm my thinking about this situation.

    We have 2 x C3500-XL 48 port Switches connected with a Trunk and using
    just 6 VLANS across both switches. We now have a need to configure
    just ONE of the VLAN's (using ports spread over both switches) into
    "port protected" mode (with a single port connected to a F/W as NOT
    Port Protected), however this URL (sorry it requires a Cisco Login,
    can someone please advise how to make the URL "public" ???) -

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps637/produc
    ts_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d9d3d.html#xtocid19

    suggests that Port Protection can only be used local to ONE switch,
    which means we would need to -
    1. Configure a new VLAN on the "second" switch,
    2. Re-address all hosts on the "new" VLAN
    3. And "join" the unprotected ports as separate ports on the F/W.

    The annoying part is that the above URL also suggests one would need
    to use trunking to get between the Switches, but Port Protection is
    not maintained across Trunk links so why mention it (we have confirmed
    that this appears to be the case).

    Is someone able to confirm my suspicions about this and any other
    options we might have?

    --
    Peter from Auckland.
    Peter, Jun 17, 2006