!Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    http://secunia.com/advisories/11978/

    Secunia Advisory: SA11978
    Release Date: 2004-07-01

    Critical: Moderately critical
    Impact: Spoofing
    Where: From remote

    Software:
    Internet Explorer 5.x for Mac
    Konqueror 3.x
    Mozilla 0.x
    Mozilla 1.0
    Mozilla 1.1
    Mozilla 1.2
    Mozilla 1.3
    Mozilla 1.4
    Mozilla 1.5
    Mozilla 1.6
    Mozilla Firefox 0.x
    Netscape 6.x
    Netscape 7.x
    Opera 5.x
    Opera 6.x
    Opera 7.x
    Safari 1.x

    Choose a product and view comprehensive vulnerability statistics and all
    Secunia advisories affecting it.

    A 6 year old vulnerability has been discovered in multiple browsers,
    allowing malicious people to spoof the content of websites.

    The problem is that the browsers don't check if a target frame belongs to a
    website containing a malicious link, which therefore doesn't prevent one
    browser window from loading content in a named frame in another window.

    Successful exploitation allows a malicious website to load arbitrary content
    in an arbitrary frame in another browser window owned by e.g. a trusted
    site.

    Secunia has constructed a test, which can be used to check if your browser
    is affected by this issue:
    http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_frame_injection_vulnerability_test/

    The vulnerability has been confirmed in the following browsers:
    * Opera 7.51 for Windows
    * Opera 7.50 for Linux
    * Mozilla 1.6 for Windows
    * Mozilla 1.6 for Linux
    * Mozilla Firebird 0.7 for Linux
    * Mozilla Firefox 0.8 for Windows
    * Netscape 7.1 for Windows
    * Internet Explorer for Mac 5.2.3
    * Safari 1.2.2
    * Konqueror 3.1-15redhat

    Other versions may also be affected.

    The vulnerability also affects Internet Explorer:
    SA11966

    Solution:
    Do not browse untrusted sites while browsing trusted sites.

    The following browsers are not affected:
    * Mozilla Firefox 0.9 for Windows
    * Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 for Windows
    * Mozilla 1.7 for Windows
    * Mozilla 1.7 for Linux

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Max Burke

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:57:02 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    wrote:

    >Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    >http://secunia.com/advisories/11978/
    >
    >Secunia Advisory: SA11978
    >Release Date: 2004-07-01

    An old and very minor "exploit". The phisher would have to know the
    frame name of the site, so essentially would only work on a small
    number of sites. You would need to have a *specific* trusted site
    open, then happen to open another window containing the phishing site
    (the specific one for the specific trusted site), then go back to the
    original window, and not notice anything had changed.

    Realistically, calling this an "exploit" is a stretch.

    I also thought it was odd how they list a long list of browsers, then,
    mentioned in one place further down the page, has:

    Gurble, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Max Burke

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message

    > An old and very minor "exploit"....

    > I also thought it was odd how they list a long list of browsers, then,
    > mentioned in one place further down the page, has:
    >
    > "The vulnerability also affects Internet Explorer:
    > SA11966"

    Lesson: IE can be exploited, while other browsers can only be
    "exploited". Now I understand
    Patrick Bold, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Max Burke

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:57:02 +1200, in message
    <OSTEc.5696$>, Max Burke wrote:

    > The following browsers are not affected:
    > * Mozilla Firefox 0.9 for Windows
    > * Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 for Windows
    > * Mozilla 1.7 for Windows
    > * Mozilla 1.7 for Linux

    Upgrade time!

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.
    Ralph Fox, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Max Burke

    thing Guest

    I think its known as "grasping at straws", IE is being hammered for
    serious exploits incl some really vicious ones that almost entail a
    system rebuild as removing them is almost impossible.

    My first question is why is the problem for IE for Mac listed under the
    "other" section and not under the IE section with the MS ones.

    My next is, research the company and finds its mission statement and
    funding...to check for unbiased reporting.

    Sans and Cert are now saying that IE is so bad and that its likely to
    get so much worse as pro virus and Trojan writers get really good that
    IE should not be used on the Internet.

    Here it shows quite clearly that with multiple critical IE
    vunerabilities viruses and trojans that can write to the systems
    registry that the security model of MS OS's are fundementally flawed.
    There is no getting round it, even if IE is rewritten from the ground
    up, its still on a shaky foundation.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:08:23 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:57:02 +1200, in message
    > <OSTEc.5696$>, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> The following browsers are not affected: * Mozilla Firefox 0.9 for
    >> Windows
    >> * Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 for Windows
    >> * Mozilla 1.7 for Windows
    >> * Mozilla 1.7 for Linux

    > Upgrade time!

    This is all just a conspiracy amongst those evil open source browser
    writers to force users to upgrade!!!

    :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 1, 2004
  7. Gurble <> claimed:
    > You would need to have a *specific* trusted site
    > open, then happen to open another window containing the phishing site
    > (the specific one for the specific trusted site), then go back to the
    > original window, and not notice anything had changed.
    >
    > Realistically, calling this an "exploit" is a stretch.

    I don't think -you- would need to open another window containing the
    phishing site, if the phisher had already uploaded a Trojan to either
    your trusted site, or an associated site you might have been likely to
    vist.

    think scob/berbew, or

    http://isc.sans.org/ handler's diary 30 June
    J.Random Luser, Jul 1, 2004
  8. In article <OSTEc.5696$>,
    "Max Burke" <> warned:

    > Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    > http://secunia.com/advisories/11978/

    Just tried the test -
    all those smug Mac weenies better think again
    Whatever Secunia's test does or does not do
    it fails Safari 1.2.2(v.125.7) on 10.3.4 (7H63)
    J.Random Luser, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Max Burke

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:00:31 +1200, "J.Random Luser"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <OSTEc.5696$>,
    > "Max Burke" <> warned:
    >
    >> Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    >> http://secunia.com/advisories/11978/
    >>

    >Just tried the test -
    >all those smug Mac weenies better think again
    >Whatever Secunia's test does or does not do
    >it fails Safari 1.2.2(v.125.7) on 10.3.4 (7H63)

    And IE6 under WinXP (of course...).
    Gurble, Jul 2, 2004