    In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
    decide which one to use to get an IP address?
    , Oct 1, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    >I tried turning off
    >DHCP on the Dynalink, but that didn't seem to make a difference (though
    >I didn't reboot the PC).

    You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
    say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
    server before that time.

    >In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
    >decide which one to use to get an IP address?

    It doesn't. It just broadcasts a DHCP request: "Hello, can anyone give
    me a network configuration?", and it's up to the server(s) whether to
    respond or not.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:

    > In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
    > decide which one to use to get an IP address?

    One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more? One captain per ship,
    one set of traffic lights per intersection.
    Gordon, Oct 1, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:
    >
    >> In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
    >> decide which one to use to get an IP address?

    >One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more?

    Bigger networks might have more than one. You could have departmental
    ones, each with a fixed list of MAC addresses to which it will give IP
    configurations to.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005
  5. > You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
    > say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
    > server before that time.

    I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
    to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
    was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
    ipconfig /release first?
    Andrew Gerald, Oct 1, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >> You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
    >> say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
    >> server before that time.

    >I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
    >to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
    >was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
    >ipconfig /release first?

    Not sure, since I don't have files named "renew" or "release" in an
    "ipconfig" directory, or even an "ipconfig" directory ...

    .... but at a guess I'd say "yes".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Bob I Guest

    "ipconfig" is a command. "/release" and "/renew" are switches or
    parameters. Please issue an "ipconfig /?" at the command prompt for
    further info.

    Bob I, Oct 3, 2005
  8. In article <u$>,
    Bob I <> wrote:

    >"ipconfig" is a command. "/release" and "/renew" are switches or
    >parameters. Please issue an "ipconfig /?" at the command prompt for
    >further info.
    >
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
    >>>to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
    >>>was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
    >>>ipconfig /release first?

    >> Not sure, since I don't have files named "renew" or "release" in an
    >> "ipconfig" directory, or even an "ipconfig" directory ...
    >>
    >> ... but at a guess I'd say "yes".

    ldo@hypatia:hack> ipconfig /?
    bash: ipconfig: command not found
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2005
  9. Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > ldo@hypatia:hack> ipconfig /?
    > bash: ipconfig: command not found

    Clearly since the OP refered to ipconfig in there message, this attempt at bein
    an ass of yours, has failed as its already known that they are on an OS that its
    supported. If your knowledge of windows commands is so weak you don't recognise
    it perhaps just stick to the threads about linux.
    Richard, Oct 4, 2005
  10. Andrew Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Gordon <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:
    >>

    >>>In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
    >>>decide which one to use to get an IP address?

    >>One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more?

    > Bigger networks might have more than one. You could have departmental
    > ones, each with a fixed list of MAC addresses to which it will give IP
    > configurations to.

    yup.. we do :)
    Andrew, Oct 4, 2005
  11. AD. Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:05:42 -0700, Andrew Gerald wrote:

    >> You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
    >> say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
    >> server before that time.

    > I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able to
    > process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it was
    > still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an ipconfig
    > /release first?

    Yes (IMO), I've never had much luck with ipconfig /renew without doing
    /release first. But that could just be me :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 5, 2005