    off, then chop up the subnet - say have a DHCP server on each wireless
    router - one from say 192.168.0.2 to 0.100 and the other from 0.101 to
    ..200 -
    barret bonden, Mar 7, 2008

  2. barret bonden <> wrote:
    > Multiple wireless routers/hubs in the same LAN may be the best
    > soulution to a large office space ?
    > Any thoughts on issues/problems welcome. I can just run a cable 200
    > feet and drop another router
    > off, then chop up the subnet - say have a DHCP server on each
    > wireless router - one from say 192.168.0.2 to 0.100 and the other
    > from 0.101 to .200 -

    I'd suggest looking at something like the SonicPoint wireless from
    SonicWALL - you can manage multiple, identically named, WAPs from a single
    SonicWALL (running their enhanced OS) for pretty seamless coverage. Beyond
    that, I think you can also get consumer-grade WAPs that have a 'repeater'
    feature, to accomplish the same thing. But I'm a big fan of SonicWALL stuff.
    They've also got way more power & more security options than any of the
    consumer stuff, yet don't cost all that much. Don't use multiple wireless
    *routers* though.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 7, 2008

  3. There is difference between an "nat router" that has a built in WAP -vs- a
    true stand-alone WAP. You extend/expand the reach of a wireless system by
    adding more WAPs,...not "routers".

    "Wireless" is not a "network",...it is an "area" where the radio signal is
    effective and functional and is identified by the SSID of the WAP that
    created the "area",...you can create a gazzillion "areas" using a gazillion
    WAPs,...and yet it is still all the same "network".

    Typically you would spead out several WAPs around the business with a bit of
    overlap between each one to prevent dead spots. Whether these WAPs are tied
    to the same subnet or a different subnet is totally irrelevant.

    If you have less than 254 Hosts then everything can be in one subnet. The
    need for a subnet is determined by the number of Hosts loading it down,..it
    has nothing to do with the medium the data travels over (copper, fiber,
    "air"). Subnets should not grow above 254 Hosts.

    Do not be confused by:
    WAPs
    Wireless Bridges
    Wireless "routers" (nat box and a WAP built into same device)
    Wireless Repeaters (speed reduced by 1/2)
    Cisco Wireless Workgroup Bridge

    These are all different things, are for different purposes, and do not do
    the same thing.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 7, 2008
  4. barret bonden

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 6, 7:22 pm, "barret bonden" <> wrote:
    >  Multiple wireless routers/hubs in the same LAN may be the best soulution to
    > a large office space ?
    > Any thoughts on issues/problems welcome.  I can just run a cable 200 feet
    > and drop another router
    > off, then chop up the subnet - say have a  DHCP server on each wireless
    > router - one from say 192.168.0.2 to 0.100 and the other from 0.101 to
    > .200  -

    SMC wireless router has Wireless Distribution System (WDS) which
    allows you to "extend" the wireless network access (one main router
    and others join to the first one.) Might be an "affordable" method.
    smlunatick, Mar 7, 2008
  5. barret bonden

    GTS Guest

    > Multiple wireless routers/hubs in the same LAN may be the best soulution
    > to a large office space ?
    > Any thoughts on issues/problems welcome. I can just run a cable 200 feet
    > and drop another router
    > off, then chop up the subnet - say have a DHCP server on each wireless
    > router - one from say 192.168.0.2 to 0.100 and the other from 0.101 to
    > .200 -

    If you use multiple routers with multiple subnets you won't be able to share
    files or printers or run network applications between the subnets. Is this
    really what your want? It's very unusual. The way we usually do this is to
    use multiple WAP's configured for wireless roaming - same SSID, staggered
    channels, only one central DHCP server.
    Multiple routers to create separate subnets is sometimes used to
    intentionally segregate networks (e.g. in a building with multiple tenants)
    but not within one company.
    GTS, Mar 7, 2008
  6. barret bonden

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 7, 12:03 pm, "GTS" <x> wrote:
    > "barret bonden" <> wrote in message

    > > Multiple wireless routers/hubs in the same LAN may be the best soulution
    > > to a large office space ?
    > > Any thoughts on issues/problems welcome.  I can just run a cable 200 feet
    > > and drop another router
    > > off, then chop up the subnet - say have a  DHCP server on each wireless
    > > router - one from say 192.168.0.2 to 0.100 and the other from 0.101 to
    > > .200  -

    > If you use multiple routers with multiple subnets you won't be able to share
    > files or printers or run network applications between the subnets.  Is this
    > really what your want?  It's very unusual.  The way we usually do this is to
    > use multiple WAP's configured for wireless roaming - same SSID, staggered
    > channels, only one central DHCP server.
    >  Multiple routers to create separate subnets is sometimes used to
    > intentionally segregate networks (e.g. in a building with multiple tenants)
    > but not within one company.

    The "suggested" router settings were on the same sub-net. The network
    was broken down into two DHCP service:

    Router 1 -- 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.100
    Router 2 -- 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.200
    smlunatick, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Hi
    The best way to provide Wireless coverage is by laying few CAT6 cables to
    central locations in the house, install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers
    configured as an Access Points (http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ), and
    connect them to the Main Router.

    You do not want (cannot/hate/your client hate) to lay Cables.

    Buy a Pair of Wireless Routers that can do WDS (Zexel, SMC, Balkan have
    models that do WDS as is out of the Box.

    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

    According to the Nets tumbler’s signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal. and spot with weak, or No signal.

    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.

    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes. ) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    the dead spots.

    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).

    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    If the content of the above is foreign to you should consider hiring a
    consultant for this job.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 7, 2008