    tony Guest

    We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely require
    single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

    tony, Sep 18, 2006

  2. In article <eemcfr$mdk$>, tony <> wrote:
    >We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely require
    >single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

    If it is a "single mode gbic" then it is not going to be 1000Base-SX
    as -SX is not supported on single mode.

    If you are going "between 2 buildings" then the distance might not be
    all that far -- not far enough to require -SZ or wave division,
    both of which require single mode.

    You might, then just happen to be using -LX -- and LX *is* supported
    on both single mode and multimode; for single mode, the maximum
    segment length is 550 m -- though for more than 300 m it needs a
    mode-conditioning cable to launch the light closer to the centre of
    the fibre.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 18, 2006

  3. tony

    tony Guest

    these are actual sx gbics.

    tony, Sep 18, 2006
  4. tony

    chris Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    > these are actual sx gbics.

    If they're SX then you're going to have to use MM fibre.

    Chris.

    chris, Sep 18, 2006
  5. tony

    Guest

    chris wrote:
    > "tony" <> wrote in message
    > > these are actual sx gbics.

    > If they're SX then you're going to have to use MM fibre.

    I agree:-

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

    CISCO 1000BASE-SX GBIC

    The Cisco 1000BASE-SX GBIC (WS-G5484) operates on ordinary
    multimode fiber (MMF) optic link spans up to 1815 feet (550 m) long.

    SX GBICS are Multimode.

    Cable colour is NO indication of specification.

    MM 62.5/125
    50/125

    SM 9/125 [sometimes 8 or 8.5 instead of 9]

    These figures are usually prnted on the cable every 1 or 2 metres.
    They refer to the core Inner/Outer diameter in micro-metres.

    You need to make sure that your patch leads and cable are all
    of the same type. (i.e. all 50 or all 62.5) for any one run.

    , Sep 18, 2006
  6. tony

    tony Guest

    Oops , I am sorry the GBICs are actually LX gbics part number

    WS-G5486

    Would That require single mode fiber cables (yellow)?

    tony, Sep 18, 2006
  7. In article <eemnqh$337$>, tony <> wrote:
    >Oops , I am sorry the GBICs are actually LX gbics part number

    >WS-G5486

    >Would That require single mode fiber cables (yellow)?

    No. See for example table 3 of
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/6400/hardnote/nrp2gbic.htm

    and be sure to read about the mode conditioning cable there if your
    distances is 300m to 550m . (If it is more than 550m, you need single mode.)

    Walter Roberson, Sep 18, 2006