    new set instead of klutzing around with these ones. I have a life
    and I can't abide wastage which is why I am looking to reuse
    them.

    Damon Nomad, Sep 12, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Damon Nomad <> wrote:

    >I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    >PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    >they run on...

    Unless they're powered speakers, they would be rated not on voltage, but
    on wattage.

    P = V^2/R

    therefore

    V^2 = PR

    from which

    V = sqrt(PR)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Damon Nomad

    theseus Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:
    > I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    > PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    > they run on so I can organise a plug pack for them before they
    > get reassigned to another deserving case.
    > The main/Left speaker has a socket on the back and tells me the
    > polarity of the plug to go into it but no voltage.
    > I don't need to be told that Linux is better or that the Mac
    > speakers piss all over the PC speakers or that I need to buy a
    > new set instead of klutzing around with these ones. I have a life
    > and I can't abide wastage which is why I am looking to reuse
    > them.

    Typically 9V DC for the little IC amps that PC speakers use

    theseus, Sep 12, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:14:13 +1200, Damon Nomad <> says...
    > I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    > PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    > they run on so I can organise a plug pack for them before they
    > get reassigned to another deserving case.
    > The main/Left speaker has a socket on the back and tells me the
    > polarity of the plug to go into it but no voltage.
    > I don't need to be told that Linux is better or that the Mac
    > speakers piss all over the PC speakers or that I need to buy a
    > new set instead of klutzing around with these ones. I have a life
    > and I can't abide wastage which is why I am looking to reuse
    > them.

    Try 6V or 9V, it's probably either of these.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Damon Nomad

    Genius Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Damon Nomad <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    >>PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    >>they run on...

    > Unless they're powered speakers, they would be rated not on voltage, but
    > on wattage.
    >
    > P = V^2/R
    >
    > therefore
    >
    > V^2 = PR
    >
    > from which
    >
    > V = sqrt(PR)

    so how does that help?
    the op wants to know what plug-pack to use!

    Genius, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Damon Nomad

    Genius Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:

    > I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    > PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    > they run on so I can organise a plug pack for them before they
    > get reassigned to another deserving case.
    > The main/Left speaker has a socket on the back and tells me the
    > polarity of the plug to go into it but no voltage.
    > I don't need to be told that Linux is better or that the Mac
    > speakers piss all over the PC speakers or that I need to buy a
    > new set instead of klutzing around with these ones. I have a life
    > and I can't abide wastage which is why I am looking to reuse
    > them.

    best to open them up and trace the dc input circuit.
    you will inevitably find a zener diode, electrolytic caps etc
    that will tell you all you need to know.

    Genius, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Damon Nomad

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:02:04 +1200, Re: Multimedia Speakers,
    voltage please, Genius <> wrote:

    >Damon Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> I have a pair of PC Direct Multimedia speakers, the model is
    >> PS-22 and the impedance is 4 Ohms. Can anyone tell me the voltage
    >> they run on so I can organise a plug pack for them before they
    >> get reassigned to another deserving case.
    >> The main/Left speaker has a socket on the back and tells me the
    >> polarity of the plug to go into it but no voltage.
    >> I don't need to be told that Linux is better or that the Mac
    >> speakers piss all over the PC speakers or that I need to buy a
    >> new set instead of klutzing around with these ones. I have a life
    >> and I can't abide wastage which is why I am looking to reuse
    >> them.

    >best to open them up and trace the dc input circuit.
    >you will inevitably find a zener diode, electrolytic caps etc
    >that will tell you all you need to know.

    Thanks everyone, I'll try 6 volts then 9 and see if the LED gets
    too bright :cool:
    My sister arrived with two COMPAQ Deskpros, a 700 Celeron and a
    PIII 1000B with 196 Mb of RAM, 20 Gb hard drives and Philips 107S
    monitors. The previously mentioned speakers were there with a
    rats nest of cables including an 18 foot printer cable and
    keyboards and scroll wheel mice. All discards from the company
    she is office manager of. They upgrade often and usually junk
    computers when they are into their second upgrade. They used to
    take the hard drives out and give them to non profit groups or
    staff but got tired of doing that so I sign a non disclosure
    agreement and get them complete with the hard drives that I have
    to wipe clean and reformat. I can now upgrade my separate Linux
    machine to the 700Mhz machine. They seem to have been doing a lot
    of upgrades recently, they are upgrading to LCD monitors so it
    looks as though I am going to have a steady supply of monitors
    over the next 12 months. I can now upgrade all my 14 and 15"
    monitors.

    Damon Nomad, Sep 13, 2004