    But im really not sure what to do with them

    so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
    Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..
    Andrew, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I have a microsoft multimedia keyboard here at work with my linux
    > workstation..
    >
    > Ive had a quick browse around the interweb this morning looking for the
    > method to enable the multimedia buttons to work with linux
    > Namely xmms controls, Couldnt really care less about the rest, However i
    > could find some use for them
    >
    > Is there a really simple process?
    > Ive found that i can run a program called xev to get keystroke events,
    > But im really not sure what to do with them
    >
    > so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
    > Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..

    Try one of these links:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/9028
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5672373.html
    http://www.zdnetasia.com/toolkits/0,39047352,39226415-39094244p,00.htm
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1896734
    http://groups.google.com/group/linu...7cd83657d51c444?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3

    Hope this helps.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Harry Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I have a microsoft multimedia keyboard here at work with my linux
    > workstation..
    >
    > Ive had a quick browse around the interweb this morning looking for the
    > method to enable the multimedia buttons to work with linux
    > Namely xmms controls, Couldnt really care less about the rest, However i
    > could find some use for them
    >
    > Is there a really simple process?
    > Ive found that i can run a program called xev to get keystroke events,
    > But im really not sure what to do with them
    >
    > so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
    > Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..

    Start by looking at:

    man dumpkeys
    man loadkeys
    /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
    and /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/*

    Then there is X11:

    xkbcomp
    xkbprint
    xmodmap
    setxkbdmap

    etc etc

    To turn a keyboard event into an action you need either a program
    that translates events into actions or use your window manager to
    do it (if its configuration allows for it).
    Harry, Sep 22, 2005