    How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before installing
    the new one?

    Rod

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009

  2. zulu

    rf Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > Widows XP Pro sp2
    > Dell Dimension 9510
    >
    > My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >
    > I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >
    > How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
    > installing the new one?

    Why do you feel that you need to?

    rf, Nov 4, 2009

  3. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    >> Widows XP Pro sp2
    >> Dell Dimension 9510
    >>
    >> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >>
    >> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >>
    >> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
    >> installing the new one?

    > Why do you feel that you need to?

    Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!
    ....and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean sheet.

    So just humor me, please...

    TIA

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  4. zulu

    rf Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >> zulu wrote:
    >>> Widows XP Pro sp2
    >>> Dell Dimension 9510
    >>>
    >>> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >>>
    >>> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >>>
    >>> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
    >>> installing the new one?

    >> Why do you feel that you need to?

    > Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

    Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?

    > ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
    > sheet.

    But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
    peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then buying a
    honda. Your garage doesn't care.

    If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager (it's
    Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That is assuming
    your currrent keyboard is actually working.

    If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.

    > So just humor me, please...

    Why? There is nothing funny in here.

    rf, Nov 4, 2009
  5. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "Andy" <no@invalid> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    >

    >> "rf" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why do you feel that you need to?

    >> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!
    >> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean sheet.
    >>

    >> So just humor me, please...

    > OK then.
    >
    > Unplug the old keyboard.
    >
    > Plug in the new one.

    That's what fucked this one, IMHO

    For a stsrt, the drivers are dated 2001..

    NOW, HOW DO I ENSURE I GET RID OF ALL THE OLD CRAP.??
    (No, I _don't_ want to reinstall XP)

    TY

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  6. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    >> "rf" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why do you feel that you need to?

    >> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

    > Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?
    >
    >> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
    >> sheet.

    > But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
    > peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then buying a
    > honda. Your garage doesn't care.
    >
    > If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager (it's
    > Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That is assuming
    > your currrent keyboard is actually working.
    >
    > If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.
    >

    >> So just humor me, please...

    > Why? There is nothing funny in here.

    There is now.
    I mistakenly thjought this was a helpdesk, not a lunatic asylum...

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  7. zulu

    rf Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >> zulu wrote:
    >>> "rf" <> wrote in message

    >>> Because the previous one nevr functioned properly!

    >> Why didn't' you take it back to the store and complain under waranty?
    >>
    >>> ...and I want to be SURE this time that I amstarting with a clean
    >>> sheet.

    >> But it is a different sheet, clean or otherwise. It's a different
    >> peripheral, different drivers. Like selling your ford and then
    >> buying a honda. Your garage doesn't care.
    >>
    >> If you really try hard you could find the windows device manager
    >> (it's Really Hard To Find) and uninstall your current keyboard. That
    >> is assuming your currrent keyboard is actually working.
    >>
    >> If all else fails you can, as Ben C says, format your hard drive.
    >>

    >>> So just humor me, please...

    >> Why? There is nothing funny in here.

    > There is now.
    > I mistakenly thjought this was a helpdesk, not a lunatic asylum...

    You get what you pay for.

    rf, Nov 4, 2009
  8. zulu

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  9. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "Andy" <no@invalid> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    > >

    > Install Linux instead then.
    >
    > HTH!

    What' your other nam?
    OIC

    Andy Pandy

    Nuff said

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  10. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > "zulu" <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of news:76cIm.10334$2:
    >
    >> Widows XP Pro sp2
    >> Dell Dimension 9510
    >>
    >> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >>
    >> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >>
    >> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
    >> installing the new one?
    >>
    >> Rod
    >>

    > Look in Control Panel> Add Remove Programs
    > Might be something there.
    > If you look at the Hardware tab in Control Panel> System there should
    > be a keyboard listed. Right click on the keyboard. Look at Properties.
    > Then Driver. Should be enough info for you to figure it out.

    Thanks for your reply
    Yes indeed!
    The driver listed isgeneric MS & dated 2001.
    <prehistoric in computer terms!>

    Listed in Hardware as *HID Keyboard Device*

    There is (as I knew) a *hotkey manager* program associated with the kb.

    Like I said, I just want to install the new one _correctly_, and make_sure_
    I first remove all the old/out of date stuff... permanently.

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  11. In message <k3iIm.59771$y%2>, "zulu" wrote:

    > "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > > "zulu" <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > > of news:76cIm.10334$2:
    > >
    > >> Widows XP Pro sp2
    > >> Dell Dimension 9510
    > >>
    > >> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    > >>
    > >> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    > >>
    > >> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers before
    > >> installing the new one?
    > >>
    > >> Rod
    > >>

    > > Look in Control Panel> Add Remove Programs
    > > Might be something there.
    > > If you look at the Hardware tab in Control Panel> System there should
    > > be a keyboard listed. Right click on the keyboard. Look at Properties.
    > > Then Driver. Should be enough info for you to figure it out.
    > >

    > Thanks for your reply
    > Yes indeed!
    > The driver listed isgeneric MS & dated 2001.
    > <prehistoric in computer terms!>

    Ahem...I'm using a PIII 800mhz pc running an extinct OS: BeOS.
    Jus Sayin[tm]

    > Listed in Hardware as *HID Keyboard Device*
    >
    > There is (as I knew) a *hotkey manager* program associated with the kb.
    >
    > Like I said, I just want to install the new one _correctly_, and make_sure_
    > I first remove all the old/out of date stuff... permanently.

    Uh huh. On the chance you have no klew as to how to remove the offending
    keyboard...do this: After you get your new one, plug it in, load up the drivers
    when Windoze tells you to and then go back into Control
    Panel>System>Hardware>Keyboard and select your old keyboard and delete it. Or
    click the drop down box saying "disable in this profile".
    Sumtin like that...

    HTH
    HAND

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 4, 2009
  12. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > In message <k3iIm.59771$y%2>, "zulu" wrote:
    >>
    >> "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >> > "zulu" <> pinched out a steaming pile
    >> > of news:76cIm.10334$2:

    >> > Look in Control Panel> Add Remove Programs
    >> > Might be something there.
    >> > If you look at the Hardware tab in Control Panel> System there should
    >> > be a keyboard listed. Right click on the keyboard. Look at Properties.
    >> > Then Driver. Should be enough info for you to figure it out.
    >> >

    >> Thanks for your reply
    >> Yes indeed!
    >> The driver listed isgeneric MS & dated 2001.
    >> <prehistoric in computer terms!>
    >>

    > Ahem...I'm using a PIII 800mhz pc running an extinct OS: BeOS.
    > Jus Sayin[tm]
    >
    >> Listed in Hardware as *HID Keyboard Device*
    >>
    >> There is (as I knew) a *hotkey manager* program associated with the kb.
    >>
    >> Like I said, I just want to install the new one _correctly_, and
    >> make_sure_
    >> I first remove all the old/out of date stuff... permanently.
    >>

    > Uh huh. On the chance you have no klew as to how to remove the offending
    > keyboard...do this: After you get your new one, plug it in, load up the
    > drivers
    > when Windoze tells you to and then go back into Control
    > Panel>System>Hardware>Keyboard and select your old keyboard and delete it.
    > Or
    > click the drop down box saying "disable in this profile".
    > Sumtin like that...
    >
    > HTH
    > HAND

    If that's all it takes, then OK, and TYVM

    Finally........some sense! <g>

    zulu, Nov 4, 2009
  13. zulu

    thanatoid Guest

    "zulu" <> wrote in

    > Widows XP Pro sp2
    > Dell Dimension 9510
    >
    > My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >
    > I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >
    > How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers
    > before installing the new one?
    >
    > Rod

    The quality of responses in this group is really getting
    ridiculous. Respondents: he SAID *MM* keyboard. They have
    drivers and extra functions!

    1.
    You /probably/ don't have to /remove/ all the traces of the old
    software - it just won't be used - at most you may be /forced/
    to disable the old keyboard in system/devices if the system acts
    funny or complains.

    2.
    Just plugging in /any/ kbd should work, but if you want/need the
    MM functions, you /will/ have to install the new software. The
    software MAY be so smart as to see that you had an old MM kbd
    (possible but very unlikely) or as I just said you MAY be able
    to leave the old stuff there anyway, or...

    3.
    To get rid of ALL (well, let's not be too over-optimistic,
    "most") traces of the old MM kbd, find its maker and name and
    model number and do a search of the Windows directory and of the
    registry using them. Delete everything that has to do with the
    old kbd. It might be useful to find the old install disk/c so
    you have SOME idea as to what to look for can get at everything.
    It WILL be a hassle, so hopefully you can skip it.

    If you have the old install disk (and you should NEVER throw
    those things away, even when the HW/software is not in use any
    more), get and use an install tracker (InCtrl, InstallSpy),
    install again, and use the info in the report to remove
    everything.

    I am oversimplyfying a little but you get the idea I hope.

    Install trackers are essential //in general// if you want to
    know what's being done to your system every time you run ANY
    install - HW or software.

    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.

    thanatoid, Nov 5, 2009
  14. zulu

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 04:51:10 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The quality of responses in this group is really getting
    >>ridiculous. Respondents: he SAID *MM* keyboard. They have
    >>drivers and extra functions!

    > dadioh's response seemed good to me.

    I didn't read his... I got too depressed before I got to it... I
    am sure it /was/ good...

    > I'm surprised though, I didn't see chucktard telling the OP
    > to reset his BIOS, reinstall his OS and scan for malware,
    > and Dan C telling the OP to format his hard drive.

    Yes, where are they all?

    BTW, how do you feel about what "If Evan Platt..." garbage?
    (None of which I have actually read.)

    I may have been wrong about how text Usenet will end. It may not
    be "taken away", it may just become as ridiculous as the average
    twitter page and drive anyone with a brain and experience far
    far away.

    thanatoid, Nov 5, 2009
  15. "§nühw¤£f" <> deflatulated this with

    So, in short ****: wadda *YOU* know about pussies? Luzer!

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER'

    "Stupid is as 'Lookout' does." --Forrest Gump's Mamma

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 5, 2009
  16. zulu

    zulu Guest

    zulu, Nov 5, 2009
  17. zulu

    zulu Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "zulu" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Widows XP Pro sp2
    >> Dell Dimension 9510
    >>
    >> My old multimedia keyboard is dying!
    >>
    >> I have a new one of a different make on the way to me.
    >>
    >> How do I remove ALL traces of the old one and it's drivers
    >> before installing the new one?
    >>
    >> Rod

    > The quality of responses in this group is really getting
    > ridiculous. Respondents: he SAID *MM* keyboard. They have
    > drivers and extra functions!
    >
    > 1.
    > You /probably/ don't have to /remove/ all the traces of the old
    > software - it just won't be used - at most you may be /forced/
    > to disable the old keyboard in system/devices if the system acts
    > funny or complains.
    >
    > 2.
    > Just plugging in /any/ kbd should work, but if you want/need the
    > MM functions, you /will/ have to install the new software. The
    > software MAY be so smart as to see that you had an old MM kbd
    > (possible but very unlikely) or as I just said you MAY be able
    > to leave the old stuff there anyway, or...
    >
    > 3.
    > To get rid of ALL (well, let's not be too over-optimistic,
    > "most") traces of the old MM kbd, find its maker and name and
    > model number and do a search of the Windows directory and of the
    > registry using them. Delete everything that has to do with the
    > old kbd. It might be useful to find the old install disk/c so
    > you have SOME idea as to what to look for can get at everything.
    > It WILL be a hassle, so hopefully you can skip it.
    >
    > If you have the old install disk (and you should NEVER throw
    > those things away, even when the HW/software is not in use any
    > more), get and use an install tracker (InCtrl, InstallSpy),
    > install again, and use the info in the report to remove
    > everything.
    >
    > I am oversimplyfying a little but you get the idea I hope.
    >
    > Install trackers are essential //in general// if you want to
    > know what's being done to your system every time you run ANY
    > install - HW or software.

    Thank you, DaddioH and another poster for _useful_ input.
    (I'd never heard of *Install trackers* before....Wish I had.)
    All I need now is my new keyboard to arrive...

    I feel confident now.
    I just didn't want the hassle I had before, with the old keyboard....<sigh>

    Rod

    zulu, Nov 5, 2009