Multimedia Hard Drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Don Hills, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <fI0e.12538$>,
    le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Not quite. Some people call PC's hard drives. Perhaps he means a Multimedia PC
    >There are now external HD's with built in wireless etc & can play divx etc
    >into the TV(the same size as 'normal' external HD's)

    A long time ago, many models of hard drives as used in PCs had to run a
    periodic "calibration" routine to realign the heads with the tracks due to
    component tolerances as the drive heated up with use. This was handled
    automatically by the drive itself, but the drive would not respond to
    requests from the PC for the few seconds it took to run the routine. If the
    PC happened to be streaming audio or video to/from the drive at the time,
    there would be a pause or glitch in the stream. "Multimedia" drives were
    designed to not require the periodic recalibration, or performed it "on the
    fly" as part of normal read/write operations. With multimedia now the norm,
    this previously extra-cost feature is now standard.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

    Don Hills, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Don Hills

    peter Guest

    Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    Cheers Peter

    peter, Mar 24, 2005

  3. In article <Xrp0e.12348$>,
    "peter" <> wrote:

    >Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Don Hills

    peter Guest

    Can play direct to TV

    peter, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Don Hills

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:18:30 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?
    >
    >Cheers Peter

    Get a big fast one.

    GraB, Mar 24, 2005
  6. Don Hills

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:53:25 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Can play direct to TV
    >

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In article <Xrp0e.12348$>,
    >> "peter" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    >> Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    That has nothing to do with the hard drive. Graphics card - TV Out.

    GraB, Mar 24, 2005
  7. Don Hills

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > In article <Xrp0e.12348$>,
    > "peter" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    > Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    He may mean portable mpg4 player, a USB type case the you install an HD into
    www.anywarenz.co.nz

    Craig Sutton, Mar 24, 2005
  8. peter wrote:
    > Can play direct to TV

    Just looking at one myself, but was wondering the same thing.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 24, 2005
  9. GraB wrote:
    >>>Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    > That has nothing to do with the hard drive. Graphics card - TV Out.

    Think of them as a small media appliance.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 24, 2005
  10. Don Hills

    Graham Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" wrote:

    > In article <Xrp0e.12348$>,
    > "peter" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Has any one use or have any advice for me about Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    > Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    Do you not remember when "Multimedia" was new and literally everything
    was suddenly multimedia: Multimedia mouse, multimedia keyboard,
    multimedia monitor, multimedia computer. (There were even multimedia
    packages. Yes, right there in your pants!)

    In short: A 'multimedia hard drive' is a hard drive.

    Graham, Mar 24, 2005
  11. Don Hills

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Mar 25, 2005
  12. Don Hills

    Peter Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Graham <>
    > wrote:
    >>"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" wrote:

    >>> Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    >>Do you not remember when "Multimedia" was new and literally everything
    >>was suddenly multimedia: Multimedia mouse, multimedia keyboard,
    >>multimedia monitor, multimedia computer. (There were even multimedia
    >>packages. Yes, right there in your pants!)
    >>
    >>In short: A 'multimedia hard drive' is a hard drive.

    > Not quite. Some people call PC's hard drives. Perhaps he means a
    > Multimedia PC
    > There are now external HD's with built in wireless etc & can play divx
    > etc
    > into the TV(the same size as 'normal' external HD's)

    Yes they are the ones IM talking about.. I would love to hear about any
    readers experience with these devices

    Peter, Mar 25, 2005
  13. Don Hills

    PaT_mcG Guest

    Can highly recomend the anyware ones .. best little gadget i have had for
    ages .

    a usb hdd that will play divx / xvid / mp3s and view pics on a regular tele.
    ( and has 5.1 audio too )

    PaT_mcG, Mar 25, 2005
  14. Don Hills

    Graham Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > In article <>, Graham <> wrote:
    > >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" wrote:

    > >> Please to tell us what is Multimedia Hard Drive. ?

    > >Do you not remember when "Multimedia" was new and literally everything
    > >was suddenly multimedia: Multimedia mouse, multimedia keyboard,
    > >multimedia monitor, multimedia computer. (There were even multimedia
    > >packages. Yes, right there in your pants!)
    > >
    > >In short: A 'multimedia hard drive' is a hard drive.

    > Not quite. Some people call PC's hard drives. Perhaps he means a Multimedia PC
    > There are now external HD's with built in wireless etc & can play divx etc
    > into the TV(the same size as 'normal' external HD's)

    Good. The PC lingo-for-idiots finally means something then.

    Graham, Mar 25, 2005
  15. Don Hills said the following on 23/03/2005 1:49 p.m.:
    > In article <fI0e.12538$>,
    > le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >>Not quite. Some people call PC's hard drives. Perhaps he means a Multimedia PC
    >>There are now external HD's with built in wireless etc & can play divx etc
    >>into the TV(the same size as 'normal' external HD's)

    > A long time ago, many models of hard drives as used in PCs had to run a
    > periodic "calibration" routine to realign the heads with the tracks due to
    > component tolerances as the drive heated up with use. This was handled
    > automatically by the drive itself, but the drive would not respond to
    > requests from the PC for the few seconds it took to run the routine. If the
    > PC happened to be streaming audio or video to/from the drive at the time,
    > there would be a pause or glitch in the stream. "Multimedia" drives were
    > designed to not require the periodic recalibration, or performed it "on the
    > fly" as part of normal read/write operations. With multimedia now the norm,
    > this previously extra-cost feature is now standard.

    Calibration is still done by drives, but it is now no longer an
    exclusive task. (Think caching)

    The range of drives designed for people wanting to avoid this where
    known as AV rated drives, and went through a very drawn out calibration
    at start up and used a standardised curve to adjust themselves without
    zeroing.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 26, 2005
  16. Don Hills wrote:

    > In article <fI0e.12538$>,
    > le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >>Not quite. Some people call PC's hard drives. Perhaps he means a Multimedia PC
    >>There are now external HD's with built in wireless etc & can play divx etc
    >>into the TV(the same size as 'normal' external HD's)

    > A long time ago, many models of hard drives as used in PCs had to run a
    > periodic "calibration" routine to realign the heads with the tracks due to
    > component tolerances as the drive heated up with use. This was handled
    > automatically by the drive itself, but the drive would not respond to
    > requests from the PC for the few seconds it took to run the routine. If the
    > PC happened to be streaming audio or video to/from the drive at the time,
    > there would be a pause or glitch in the stream. "Multimedia" drives were
    > designed to not require the periodic recalibration, or performed it "on the
    > fly" as part of normal read/write operations. With multimedia now the norm,
    > this previously extra-cost feature is now standard.

    handy to know, but I think cache takes care of this these days...
    btw, your clock is a few days behind...
    <kidding>might be Os2 grinding to a halt in it's old age :p</kidding>

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 26, 2005
  17. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <d229fv$cuc$>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >btw, your clock is a few days behind...
    ><kidding>might be Os2 grinding to a halt in it's old age :p</kidding>

    More likely my laptop's CMOS/clock battery is failing. I suspect it will be
    painfully expensive should I choose to replace it, it's a rechargeable
    lithium cell. I guess I shouldn't complain, it has lasted 10 years...
    (IBM Thinkpad 755C, 486-100).

    Don Hills, Mar 26, 2005
  18. (Don Hills) wrote:

    >I suspect it will be
    >painfully expensive should I choose to replace it, it's a rechargeable
    >lithium cell. I guess I shouldn't complain, it has lasted 10 years...
    >(IBM Thinkpad 755C, 486-100).

    $4. Get a CR2032 battery (or whatever is in the machine) from the
    supermarket. Pull the leads off the old battery. Tape the leads to the
    new battery - fabric tape is good for this - and re-fit.

    Seems to work fine here.

    Steve Marshall, Mar 26, 2005
  19. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Marshall <> wrote:

    >$4. Get a CR2032 battery (or whatever is in the machine) from the
    >supermarket. Pull the leads off the old battery. Tape the leads to the
    >new battery - fabric tape is good for this - and re-fit.

    That would likely lead to a Chernobyl incident. You missed the bit where I
    said it is rechargeable. It's about US$15 to US$25. (IBM part number
    84G2263.) I think I'll just live with it as it is <g>.

    Don Hills, Mar 26, 2005