    is I am unable to find out. Does anyone know of anyway to find the
    correct drivers?
    , Feb 20, 2009

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to find out what onboard sound cards are as i am
    > missing a driver for mine and without even knowing what my motherboard
    > is I am unable to find out. Does anyone know of anyway to find the
    > correct drivers?

    No single tool does a good job of identifying hardware for
    the purposes of finding drivers. I always feel bad when
    trying to help with drivers, because of this. While there
    are "driver finder" programs on the web, they charge
    money for them, and for that reason, I cannot recommend
    them. I try to provide free tools, when they are
    available.

    You can use Belarc Advisor.

    You can try Everest Free Edition. (Only click the tiny flags
    for your download. Ignore all the crappy advertising on this page.)

    http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

    Everest is produced by Lavalys.com, and they produce more
    modern versions, but those cost money. The above download
    is the last free version of the program. Not all hardware
    will be identified by name, due to the age of the program.
    Still, you might get lucky, and have to do no additional
    work. (Look under Devices:pCI Devices for your sound
    card.)

    If Everest lists something as <Unknown>, but it does
    show a value for Device_ID, you can look up the name of
    the hardware here. This is a list maintained by volunteers,
    as the official list is secret. This list can never be
    as complete as the official list.

    http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

    For example, Everest lists my sound card as

    Device ID 13F6-0111

    If I look in the pci.ids file, for that value, I find
    two lines

    13f6 C-Media Electronics Inc
    0111 CM8738

    Then, I would suspect I could go to cmedia.com.tw to find
    a driver.

    So the first part gives the company name (VEN),
    while the second part gives the device (DEV). If
    I look in the .INF file of the installer, I see a
    matching entry, and that is how the OS knows the driver
    is applicable. In the example below, PCI is the bus the
    device lives on, VEN is the vendor ID and
    DEV is the device. The subsystem is an instance,
    so if Hercules and Creative both made cards with
    a CM8738 chip on it, each company would have
    their own SUBSYS entry. If there are hardware
    differences between cards (one card has more
    audio connectors than the other), the driver
    can then be prepared for it, by using the
    SUBSYS to tell which card it is. A modern driver
    can support hundreds of different cards, with
    slight variations between each. So some INF
    files have a lot of lines similar to the following.

    %*WDM_CMI8738.DeviceDesc%=WDM_CMPCI, PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_A6501681

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 20, 2009

  3. Sorry for the serious snippage ...

    Doesn't the Device Manager identify the devices, and help one figure out
    which driver might be needed?

    I recently had to replace the HDD on a machine, and I simply went to the HP
    Website and entered the model number of my machine, and the necessary
    drivers were listed for me to download.
    Jeff Strickland, Feb 20, 2009