Multilink PPP connection....??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sno, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. sno

    sno Guest

    My old ISP no longer offers multilink connection..which I use
    do to poor dial up lines in my rural area....

    Calling around and searching internet I find that most ISP's do
    not offer or know even less then me about such connections...
    I am looking for a inexpensive ISP that offers it...

    When talking to them I am not sure I am even using the right
    terminology...so have some questions...

    Simple signal path:

    User computer - router - server (same as ISP (?)) - router -
    router - server - router - User computer....

    Is this correct...??

    Multilink:

    Signal split at user computer - modem #1 dials into router using
    username/password, then modem #2 dials into router using same
    username/password as #1 (does router need to be programmed for
    multilink ?) (is signal recombined at router or server ? -
    server (does server need to be programmed for multilink ?) -
    router - same as simple...

    Reverse on receive side...??

    My understanding is that a ISDN line uses the same setup as
    multilink...

    If it does, can you use multilink on any ISP that offers ISDN...??
    (pay for ISDN and use multilink on it)....

    I hope I have explained myself...thank you for any info you
    can give me.......sno

    --
    Save the whales, collect the whole set !

    This tag line is generated by:

    SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)
    sno, Apr 22, 2004

  2. sno

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    sno <> wrote in news::

    > My understanding is that a ISDN line uses the same setup as
    > multilink...

    No.

    > If it does, can you use multilink on any ISP that offers ISDN...??
    > (pay for ISDN and use multilink on it)....

    If you are going to pay for ISDN, you might as well use it instead of
    trying to use Multilink dialup. It's faster and much more reliable. To
    answer the actual question you asked, no, you generally can't purchase ISDN
    and use dialup instead.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk