    They seem to range rather dramatically in price.... all comments gratefully
    received.

    Gay
    brazen, Sep 29, 2005

  2. brazen

    Rob J Guest

    In article <433c5580$>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to stay
    > clear of?
    >
    > Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
    > amount,

    These two are contradictory.
    Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
    Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.
    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005

  3. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <433c5580$>,
    > says...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
    >> stay
    >> clear of?
    >>
    >> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
    >> amount,

    > These two are contradictory.
    > Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
    > Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.

    Sorry, I wasnt clear.

    I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
    price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
    laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
    info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
    consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
    any to watch out for.

    Gay
    brazen, Sep 30, 2005
  4. brazen

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    I would say

    Cheap to buy - inkjets - moderate running costs, slow poor output
    Cheap to buy - sub $2000 lasers - expensive running costs
    Expensive to buy - good lasers - cheap running costs.

    Richard, Sep 30, 2005
  5. brazen

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:30:16 +1200, "brazen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <433c5580$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
    >>> stay
    >>> clear of?
    >>>
    >>> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
    >>> amount,

    >> These two are contradictory.
    >> Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
    >> Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.
    >>

    >Sorry, I wasnt clear.
    >
    >I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
    >price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
    >laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
    >info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
    >consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
    >any to watch out for.
    >
    >Gay

    Toms rated the Samsung as the best buy for a Laser Printer, might be worth
    looking into that brand

    I do know of a firm that had a Multifunction thing and got rid of its as the
    functions clashed with is intended use.

    You can Only use one Feature at the time.
    XP, Sep 30, 2005
  6. brazen

    S Roby Guest

    Possible issue is future lack of parts for repairs as some suplliers
    'no longer support these' after a few years.
    S Roby, Sep 30, 2005
  7. In article <>, Richard <>
    wrote:

    >Cheap to buy - inkjets - moderate running costs, slow poor output

    On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2005
  8. brazen

    Rob J Guest

    In article <433cb15e$>,
    says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <433c5580$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
    > >> stay
    > >> clear of?
    > >>
    > >> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
    > >> amount,

    > > These two are contradictory.
    > > Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
    > > Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.
    > >

    > Sorry, I wasnt clear.
    >
    > I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
    > price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
    > laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
    > info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
    > consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
    > any to watch out for.

    As I said
    Inkjet consumables are expensive
    Laser consumables are cheap
    In relative terms
    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  9. brazen

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.

    For photos yeah, they are quite good, but for text all that I have tried suffer
    a degree of allignment issues between passes of the head, sometimes its minute,
    but still there.
    Richard, Oct 3, 2005
  10. brazen

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43410f3a$>, says...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.

    > For photos yeah, they are quite good, but for text all that I have tried suffer
    > a degree of allignment issues between passes of the head, sometimes its minute,
    > but still there.

    In the general discussion about multifunctions, a cheaper laser option
    depending on your need is a laser fax.

    These come with software that allows the unit to be used as a printer,
    and in some cases a scanner. The main limit of the scanner is that it is
    sheetfed rather than flatbed. On the other hand, if it allowed multipage
    scanning, that would be another pro to consider.
    Rob J, Oct 3, 2005