    local hard copy. All I need is for my pages to be faxed.

    Is there a multifunction device that works this way, or do I have to buy a
    fax modem for my PC?
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 15, 2009

  2. "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > What OS are you using? Windows can send a fax without printing it, or you
    > can use software to do it from the PC.

    Windows can't do it without a modem ...

    I have XP Pro.

    Keep in mind, I want to leverage the modem in the multifunction mahine, but
    I can't.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 15, 2009

  3. "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message

    > You have a PC with no modem? Did you build it yourself?

    No.

    I have a NIC that is built into the mother board, why would they assume I
    need a modem? I've replaced the mother board and there's an outside chance
    that I removed the modem -- if there ever was one -- and it's in the crate
    of stuff under my desk. There's only one missing blind from the back of my
    machine, but it is where the PCI-based wireless adaptor lived before I had a
    CAT5 cable run to my desk.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 15, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What OS are you using? Windows can send a fax without printing it, or
    >> you can use software to do it from the PC.
    >>

    > Windows can't do it without a modem ...
    >
    > I have XP Pro.
    >
    > Keep in mind, I want to leverage the modem in the multifunction
    > mahine, but I can't.

    I don't have a modem either ! I send faxes just fine.
    Look here.

    <http://www.savetz.com/fax/>

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    baron, Oct 15, 2009
  5. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> You have a PC with no modem? Did you build it yourself?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> I have a NIC that is built into the mother board, why would they assume I
    >> need a modem? I've replaced the mother board and there's an outside
    >> chance that I removed the modem -- if there ever was one -- and it's in
    >> the crate of stuff under my desk. There's only one missing blind from the
    >> back of my machine, but it is where the PCI-based wireless adaptor lived
    >> before I had a CAT5 cable run to my desk.
    >>

    > Wouldn't a PCI Fax-Modem help (assuming you have available slot)? You can
    > get them $10-$15 off Newegg (some cheaper, some more expensive) that come
    > with FAX software.
    >
    > Wow! I just saw they have a USB fax/modem now. Don't know anything about
    > them, though.

    Of course I can do that, but I was wanting what I bought to be something
    different than what I got.

    It seems ultra-logical to me that at print time, I could choose the fax
    function of the device I just bought. The device would dial the phone, make
    the connection, give the PC a ready signal, then send the pages over the
    phone line instead of to the print head.

    I guess I'm just ahead of my time ...
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 16, 2009
  6. Jeff Strickland

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 15, 1:19 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I bought a copier/fax/scanner/printer.
    >
    > I was hoping that I could select Fax at print time, and this would invoke
    > the Fax function, cause the fax to dial a number, then send the printed
    > document down the phone line to be printed at the fax number that the
    > machine had dialed.
    >
    > It does not work the way I want it to.
    >
    > I have to physically print the pages locally, then put them through the fax
    > to be sent. I have the file that generates the pages, so I don't need the
    > local hard copy. All I need is for my pages to be faxed.
    >
    > Is there a multifunction device that works this way, or do I have to buy a
    > fax modem for my PC?

    Snappy Fax 4.33.1.1
    http://hotfile.com/dl/14799453/3efdcea/Snappy.Fax.v4.33.1.1.rar.html

    Starre Enterprises Star Fax Cover Sheet Creator 3.01 | 12.4 MB
    http://uploading.com/files/9d8mdc76/rewtyhnx.rar

    Mighty Fax 3.39
    http://uploading.com/files/f7mmde8a/Mighty.Fax.3.39.rar
    PW:http://forcehackerz.com/ (for UN-rar only)

    32bit Fax 9.10.01
    http://rapidshare.com/files/288213356/32bit.Fax.rar.html
    sandy58, Oct 16, 2009
  7. Jeff Strickland

    GTS Guest

    > Of course I can do that, but I was wanting what I bought to be something
    > different than what I got.
    >
    > It seems ultra-logical to me that at print time, I could choose the fax
    > function of the device I just bought. The device would dial the phone,
    > make the connection, give the PC a ready signal, then send the pages over
    > the phone line instead of to the print head.
    >
    > I guess I'm just ahead of my time ...

    There are many MF devices that work exactly the way you describe including
    my Brother MF-290c. Usually two printer drivers are installed and in you
    chose to print to the fax driver it will pop up a screen to enter the phone
    number etc.
    I did see a bottom of the line Epson a while ago that lacked this and was
    manual fax from the printer control panel only, so it's not universal.
    Exactly brand/model are you using? Is there a fax driver for it shown in
    printers? What OS are you using?
    GTS, Oct 16, 2009
  8. "GTS" <> wrote in message

    >> Of course I can do that, but I was wanting what I bought to be something
    >> different than what I got.
    >>
    >> It seems ultra-logical to me that at print time, I could choose the fax
    >> function of the device I just bought. The device would dial the phone,
    >> make the connection, give the PC a ready signal, then send the pages over
    >> the phone line instead of to the print head.
    >>
    >> I guess I'm just ahead of my time ...
    >>

    > There are many MF devices that work exactly the way you describe
    > including my Brother MF-290c. Usually two printer drivers are installed
    > and in you chose to print to the fax driver it will pop up a screen to
    > enter the phone number etc.
    > I did see a bottom of the line Epson a while ago that lacked this and was
    > manual fax from the printer control panel only, so it's not universal.
    > Exactly brand/model are you using? Is there a fax driver for it shown in
    > printers? What OS are you using?

    I use XP Pro, SP3. but I have that bottom of the line Epson you saw. How did
    you know? What I want and what I bought are not the same thing. That's the
    bottom line.

    I don't fax alot, but I had to fax 26 pages the other day that I created by
    compiling several different documents into one by scanning the pages into a
    Word document. Now that I have the Word doc, I have two copies of the fax --
    the Word document and the original pages that were scanned. I had to print
    the fax locally, giving me three copies. I don't need the third copy, and I
    thought my machine would dial on command at print time, and send the pages
    from Word down the phone line to be printed remotely. The machine has more
    than enough memory to store the pages and send them electronically. In fact,
    the pages are all scanned and stored before the machine dials the phone, so
    the app could easily send the pages to the printer along with a Dial Command
    and the printer could then send the pages to the modem instead of to the
    printhead. I'm sure my issue is, "the bitterness of low quality remains long
    after the sweetness of low price wears off." Oh well ...
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 16, 2009
  9. Jeff Strickland

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 16, 11:28 am, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > >> Wouldn't a PCI Fax-Modem help (assuming you have available slot)?  You
    > >> can get them $10-$15 off Newegg (some cheaper, some more expensive) that
    > >> come with FAX software.

    > >> Wow! I just saw they have a USB fax/modem now.  Don't know anything about
    > >> them, though.

    > > Of course I can do that, but I was wanting what I bought to be something
    > > different than what I got.

    > > It seems ultra-logical to me that at print time, I could choose the fax
    > > function of the device I just bought. The device would dial the phone,
    > > make the connection, give the PC a ready signal, then send the pages over
    > > the phone line instead of to the print head.

    > > I guess I'm just ahead of my time ...

    > Not too far, Jeff,
    >
    > My old Win 95 did it with no problem and that was - dear God, have THAT many
    > years gone by?  I'm getting old.
    >
    > Guess you have to read the fine print (or the print that isn't printed).

    The good thing about "today" is...most people have e-mail. :)
    sandy58, Oct 19, 2009