    I dont even want to make it unnumbered.

    Will it work?
    What is the significance of loopback without IP ?
    [FX] Tarandeep singh, May 13, 2009

  2. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    bod43 Guest

    On 13 May, 11:57, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote:
    > I want to enable PIM on device. So what i do is enable PIM on anew
    > Loopback interface like this
    > "ip pim sparse-mode"
    > Does this loopback necessacrily need to have IP address?
    > I dont even want to make it unnumbered.
    >
    > Will it work?
    > What is the significance of loopback without IP ?

    You need to enable PIM on each IP interface that you want to
    paqrticipate in multicast routing. Enabling PIM on a loopback
    has no meaning (that I can think of at present anyway).
    Multicast packets are received on, and get transmitted from,
    PM enabled interfaces.

    If your router is bridging only then PIM has no meaning.

    If you add more detail of the network topology then perhaps
    someone can point you in the correct direction.
    bod43, May 13, 2009

  3. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    Thrill5 Guest

    "bod43" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 May, 11:57, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote:
    >> I want to enable PIM on device. So what i do is enable PIM on anew
    >> Loopback interface like this
    >> "ip pim sparse-mode"
    >> Does this loopback necessacrily need to have IP address?
    >> I dont even want to make it unnumbered.
    >>
    >> Will it work?
    >> What is the significance of loopback without IP ?

    > You need to enable PIM on each IP interface that you want to
    > paqrticipate in multicast routing. Enabling PIM on a loopback
    > has no meaning (that I can think of at present anyway).

    If the router is acting as the RP you would enable PIM on the loopback
    address you were using as the RP IP address.

    Thrill5, May 13, 2009
  4. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    bod43 Guest

    On 13 May, 19:36, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > > On 13 May, 11:57, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote:
    > >> I want to enable PIM on device. So what i do is enable PIM on anew
    > >> Loopback interface like this
    > >> "ip pim sparse-mode"
    > >> Does this loopback necessacrily need to have IP address?
    > >> I dont even want to make it unnumbered.

    > >> Will it work?
    > >> What is the significance of loopback without IP ?

    > > You need to enable PIM on each IP interface that you want to
    > > paqrticipate in multicast routing. Enabling PIM on a loopback
    > > has no meaning (that I can think of at present anyway).

    > If the router is acting as the RP you would enable PIM on the loopback

    You do? I may have a closer look later but I can't
    recall doing that. Of course it would be better if I could
    recall more:)
    bod43, May 13, 2009