    version of Windows must be installed 1st..others say doesn't matter. Which
    version is earlist or does it matter.

    How do i go about it, especially as there is the hidden Partition?
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Oct 27, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Your best bet would be to add an additional HD. Both are considered
    contemporaries and makes no difference what order.
    You can split your primary partition (third party product), but your restore
    will most likely restore the computer to original 1 visible partition and
    the original os, if needed.

    John Barnes, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Well, actually, he can easily shrink his existing partition, using the built
    in tools of Vista. And then install Vista 32 to the partition he creates in
    the now empty space.

    Vista supports grow/shrink of NTFS partitions. How much the shrink is will
    depend on how fragmented the free space is, and how much actual free space
    there is, but it's up to 50% of the total disk size.

    This can be done during the install of 32-bit Vista, or before hand. I
    prefer to do it beforehand to see how much room I can create.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 27, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since it can only shrink to the first non movable data, which so many have
    complained only allows about a 10-15% shrink. Certainly is worth a try as
    nothing to loose. Defrag first, and see what free space you can acquire.
    Some have had luck deleting the hiberfil and pagefile from WinRE.

    John Barnes, Oct 28, 2007
  5. On my systems (where I regularly run PerfectDisk), I've been able to get 30%
    or more. It's certainly worth a try.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Greg indicated at the start of this thread that he has 2 HDs, so some of the
    answers he was given don't make much sense to me. He doesn't need to buy
    another hard disk and he doesn't need to change the partitions on his system
    disk.

    Because there is a risk that running your restore program on your hidden
    partition some time in the future might undo any changes you make to your
    first HD, it would be safer to install your second OS on your second HD.

    You can leave your BIOS unchanged. It is set to boot from the first HD. When
    you install Vista 32 on your second HD it will add a menu to the boot files
    on your first HD.

    When you boot, it will always boot the 1st disc initially (just enough of it
    to show the boot menu). Then if you choose the 32 bit OS from the menu it
    will jump to booting the 2nd HD, instead of continuing to start the 64 bit OS.

    You have to make very sure when you start Vista's installer from the 32bit
    Vista DVD that you choose the correct disc to install the new system to.

    I guess you already have some documents etc on the 2nd disk, but no bootable
    system on it? If so, make sure that the installer is not going to format the
    second drive, only add the new OS onto it. It can install Vista there without
    reformatting it first.

    To be extra safe you could backup all your files from your second drive
    before starting the install. For example you could copy them onto the 1st HD
    if there is enough space.
    =?Utf-8?B?QWx0emhlaW1lcg==?=, Nov 2, 2007