    XP from it.

    Thanks

    Tim

    Timmy, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Timmy

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:20:32 +0100, Timmy wrote
    (in article <kCrsg.94546$>):

    > hi all
    > I have win98se on C: drive (FAT32) and XPpro on D: (FAT32)
    >
    > This morning the pc wouldn't boot and displaying message "Verifying DMI pool
    > data" and halt. I even restarted for few times, fiddling with the BIOS and
    > recheck all the connection cables to drives and hardware and stuff etc but
    > not success and was still getting the same message.
    >
    > So I used my win98 start up disk to do SYS C: and after the reboot I am in
    > win98. which I am using right now.
    >
    > Now, I did not get the multi boot screen when booting. I still have the XP
    > on my D: drive. What do I need to do to get that multi boot screen again to
    > XP from it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tim

    No, you won't because I bet XP is installed on an NTFS-formatted partition
    which, obviously, 98 cannot write to. You could try using a 3rd-party boot
    manager (such as Boot Commander) which /may/ not necessitate the
    reinstallation of XP but don't count on it.

    If you have always had it dual-booting, then XP will be on a FAT32 formatted
    partition, in which case a repair installation of XP may be all that's
    required.

    If you have been fiddling around inside, are you *sure* everything is snug?
    Double check all cables.

    If all else fails, you will need to repair install XP because the boot.ini
    does not contain the relevant information.

    Margolotta, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Timmy

    M Guest

    There are many ways to fix this. One way is to use the free boot loader
    XOSL from http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/home.html

    M, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Timmy wrote:

    > hi all
    > I have win98se on C: drive (FAT32) and XPpro on D: (FAT32)

    > So I used my win98 start up disk to do SYS C: and after the reboot I am in
    > win98. which I am using right now.
    >
    > Now, I did not get the multi boot screen when booting. I still have the XP
    > on my D: drive. What do I need to do to get that multi boot screen again
    > to XP from it.

    If you (are lucky to) have a full XP home or pro bootable cd, you can insert
    it, start from it (maybe you will need to change boot order in bios or
    press something like F9 for "boot menu") and choose "repair" and "R" for
    recovery console.
    After you have logged on to your install (Admin password, or just hit ENTER
    if you haven't one) you can then do a "bootcfg /scan" and "fixboot".
    That will put the multiboot back to your C:

    Walter Mautner, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Timmy

    ProfGene Guest

    Timmy wrote:
    > hi all
    > I have win98se on C: drive (FAT32) and XPpro on D: (FAT32)
    >
    > This morning the pc wouldn't boot and displaying message "Verifying DMI pool
    > data" and halt. I even restarted for few times, fiddling with the BIOS and
    > recheck all the connection cables to drives and hardware and stuff etc but
    > not success and was still getting the same message.
    >
    > So I used my win98 start up disk to do SYS C: and after the reboot I am in
    > win98. which I am using right now.
    >
    > Now, I did not get the multi boot screen when booting. I still have the XP
    > on my D: drive. What do I need to do to get that multi boot screen again to
    > XP from it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tim

    Hit F11 on boot up and it should give you all booting options to choose
    from.

    ProfGene, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Timmy

    Guest

    "Timmy" <> wrote:

    |>This morning the pc wouldn't boot and displaying message "Verifying DMI pool
    |>data" and halt. I even restarted for few times, fiddling with the BIOS and
    |>recheck all the connection cables to drives and hardware and stuff etc but
    |>not success and was still getting the same message.

    DMI is your bios putting everything in it's place (IRQ's and such),
    you must of seen DMI successful or similar each time you boot up, this
    time it didn't work.

    Change your hardware? google has more info.

    --
    backup your copy protected DVDs.
    http://www.ripit4me.org/

    , Jul 11, 2006