    find what the error is.

    I just don't know what to try next.

    Lee

    spock, Nov 22, 2009

  2. spock

    Carlos Guest

    spock,
    Every time you want to keep your current partition/drive lettering, start
    Vista (or Win 7) installation from inside the OS and not from "outside" (by
    booting off the DVD).
    That way Vista (or Win 7) will keep your current partition letters.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 22, 2009

  3. spock

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Lee.

    Easy question first...The default setting for what to do in case of System
    Failure is to Automatically restart. So, when the BSOD appears, the
    computer immediately reboots before there is time to read the screen. One
    of the first things I do when installing Windows is to change that default!
    Go to System Properties | Advanced System Settings (you'll need
    Administrator credentials for this) | Advanced | Startup and Recovery /
    Settings. Then just UNcheck the Automatically restart box. Next time, the
    BSOD will stay onscreen until YOU push the Reset button, giving you all the
    time you need to read it and copy down the Stop Code and other information
    there.

    Now to the drive letters: These shift like drifting sands when we reboot to
    a different Windows installation. So it's best to give each volume a NAME
    (a label), which will be written to the disk and will not change when we
    reboot from Vista to Win7 and back. As Carlos said, Vista changed from the
    WinXP method of assigning drive letters at Setup.

    When we boot from the DVD to run Setup, it has no idea what letters may
    already have been assigned, so it starts by assigning C: to its own Boot
    Volume (which is NOT what most of us think of as the boot volume! See KB
    314470.), which might be the 3rd partition on the second HDD. Then it
    assigns the next letter (D:, unless we are installing into the System
    Partition) to the System Volume, typically the first partition on the first
    HDD and traditionally thought of as Drive C:. No matter which partition we
    choose to install Windows into, the few updated startup files must always be
    in the System Partition - and Windows doesn't care what its drive letter
    might be.

    To preserve Vista's existing drive letters, we must boot into Vista and then
    insert the Win7 DVD and run Setup from there so that it can "see" and
    inherit the existing letters. Later, of course, we can use Disk Management
    to change any of the drive letters EXCEPT the Boot and System Volumes; the
    only way to change these is to run Setup again - that is, to reinstall
    Windows.

    To see which drives have which letters and which status (Boot, System, etc.)
    in EACH OS, boot into each and run Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 23, 2009
  4. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    Thanks
    I have just found out what may be the reason why Windows 7 will not install
    it seems according the Supermicro website my motherboard C2SBX does not support
    Windows 7
    what a wasted effort.

    Thanks

    Master Lee, Nov 26, 2009
  5. spock

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Lee.

    I'm sorry you can't use Win7 on that computer. But thanks for the feedback
    so that we know about the problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 26, 2009
  6. What? Why would they then have drivers for for Windows 7 available for it!

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 26, 2009
  7. The Supermicro compatibility chart
    http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C2.cfm only shows that
    they have not tested and confirmed compatibility. They only show results
    for the Windows 7 RC anyway.

    The board specs
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core2Duo/X38/C2SBX.cfm
    suggest that Windows 7 should run perfectly well.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 26, 2009
  8. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    Well I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Windows 7 and ever time it comes
    to reboot after the files are copied to the hard drive and it crashes. I have given up!
    My configiration as follows

    C2SBX motherboard cpu intel Q6700 I have tried Gskil and Apagee GT 4gB DDR3
    Adaptec 48300 HA Gigabyte HD4550 Video card Leadtek DVR3200H tv tuner card
    and Adaptec says there are drivers in Window for the 48300 card

    I have Windows XP X64 and Vista business X64 on different drives which work ok
    I have tried to install Windows 7 on both SAS and SATA drives and reformated them
    every time. Do you know how long it takes to format a 300gB sas drive slow
    format. Now you tell me it is not the motherboard!!!! Why does it work ok on
    Windows XP X64 and Vista X64 but not Windows 7 Give me a logical argument.
    I even tried to upgrade Vista and it rolled back the upgrade.
    BTW I contacted Supermicro who have not replied yet.

    Master Lee, Nov 26, 2009
  9. There is a BIOS update which might make a difference if you have not
    already applied it.

    When installing Windows 7 you should install on empty space and let the
    installation routine format the drive. This lets the installer create a
    100MB partition for its boot files. The format is a quick format - full
    formats with disk surface tests take far too long to be acceptable.

    Try removing one of the memory modules.

    Sometimes there are problems with a motherboard and particular versions
    of disk firmware. I can find no reports of that but your board is not a
    very common one.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 26, 2009
  10. spock

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Lee:
    With the installation rolling back after copying files is an
    indication that there are no drivers for the Adaptec 48300 HA, verify that
    you have the Win-7 drivers on a disk or pen drive for installation. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4639 (20091126) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Nov 26, 2009
  11. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    Vista was bit flaky before I flashed the bios it seems that supermicro don't
    update their bios very often not as often as Asus. I think I will deep six my
    motherboard, I doubt that Supermicro will have anything usefull to say.
    BTW the 48300 has the latest firmware as well.
    Now I'll have to find one with a pci-x slot
    Thanks to those who replied.

    "Dominic Payer"

    Master Lee, Nov 26, 2009
  12. My suspicion is that the Adaptec 48300 HA drivers are not included on
    the Windows 7 DVD and that you must supply them the the setup program by
    another mean. You should be able to specify other drivers when you
    select the disk and partition for the installation.

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 26, 2009
  13. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    But that does not explain why it would not install on a SATA drive.

    Master Lee, Nov 26, 2009
  14. According to Supermicro it would use the Intel ICH9R SATA Driver, I
    would think this would be on the Windows 7 DVD, but you could still try
    to supply the drivers when you install and see what happens.

    http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/

    Or maybe the controller is set to a mode that is causing problems... RAID?

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 26, 2009
  15. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    According to Supermicro they will respond within one business day they
    have failed they have exceeded they time.

    Master Lee, Nov 27, 2009
  16. spock

    Anon Guest

    Master Lee wrote:
    > Vista was bit flaky before I flashed the bios it seems that supermicro don't
    > update their bios very often not as often as Asus. I think I will deep six my
    > motherboard, I doubt that Supermicro will have anything usefull to say.
    > BTW the 48300 has the latest firmware as well.
    > Now I'll have to find one with a pci-x slot
    > Thanks to those who replied.
    >

    > "Dominic Payer"
    > > wrote in message news:...
    >> There is a BIOS update which might make a difference if you have not already applied it.
    >>
    >> When installing Windows 7 you should install on empty space and let the installation
    >> routine format the drive. This lets the installer create a 100MB partition for its boot
    >> files. The format is a quick format - full formats with disk surface tests take far too
    >> long to be acceptable.
    >>
    >> Try removing one of the memory modules.
    >>
    >> Sometimes there are problems with a motherboard and particular versions of disk
    >> firmware. I can find no reports of that but your board is not a very common one.
    >>

    >> On 26/11/2009 14:18, Master Lee wrote:
    >>> Well I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Windows 7 and ever time it
    >>> comes
    >>> to reboot after the files are copied to the hard drive and it crashes. I have given up!
    >>> My configiration as follows
    >>>
    >>> C2SBX motherboard cpu intel Q6700 I have tried Gskil and Apagee GT 4gB DDR3
    >>> Adaptec 48300 HA Gigabyte HD4550 Video card Leadtek DVR3200H tv tuner card
    >>> and Adaptec says there are drivers in Window for the 48300 card
    >>>
    >>> I have Windows XP X64 and Vista business X64 on different drives which work ok
    >>> I have tried to install Windows 7 on both SAS and SATA drives and reformated them
    >>> every time. Do you know how long it takes to format a 300gB sas drive slow
    >>> format. Now you tell me it is not the motherboard!!!! Why does it work ok on
    >>> Windows XP X64 and Vista X64 but not Windows 7 Give me a logical argument.
    >>> I even tried to upgrade Vista and it rolled back the upgrade.
    >>> BTW I contacted Supermicro who have not replied yet.

    Go into the BIOS and find the modes for the drives. Modes will be
    something like RAID, Combo, ACPI, and IDE. Set the mode for the drive
    to IDE.

    If it works, then you do have a driver problem. I never could get the
    SATA driver loaded (I was never sure which on was the right one), the
    mode in my BIOS is still set to "IDE". They say it doesn't run as fast,
    but it seems fine to me. My system tends to bottleneck on the processor
    not the hard drive anyway.

    Anon, Nov 28, 2009
  17. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion but my motherboard does not have that opton it has either auto
    or sata and had
    already disabled the raid function as I am not runing sata raid.

    Master Lee, Nov 29, 2009
  18. spock

    Master Lee Guest

    BTW I ran upgrade adviser and the only thing it found was ati manager which I removed
    seemed like a useless prgram if it did not pickup my problem.

    Master Lee, Dec 2, 2009
  19. Create a Multiboot System for Windows 7
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee851553.aspx

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 3, 2009