Multiboot question 98/XP

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Captain Lon, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Captain Lon

    Captain Lon Guest

    Hey everyone.

    Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
    wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
    I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
    it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
    out slave hard drive (D:), and she is now back to using the original 98SE
    (on C:).

    My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
    us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
    longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
    been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
    default OS???

    Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
    but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
    boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
    understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
    put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
    least make 98 the default OS?

    Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows xp"
    /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    --
    Captain Lon

    I'm smart! I'm not dumb like they say!

    Captain Lon, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Captain Lon

    rainman Guest

    Captain Lon wrote:
    > Hey everyone.
    >
    > Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
    > wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
    > I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
    > it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
    > out slave hard drive (D:), and she is now back to using the original 98SE
    > (on C:).
    >
    > My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
    > us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
    > longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
    > been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
    > default OS???
    >
    > Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
    > but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
    > boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
    > understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
    > put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
    > least make 98 the default OS?
    >
    > Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=3
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows xp"
    > /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    > C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    1) Make a bootable floppy in 98 (just in case) (with the SYS command on it)
    2) Delete boot.ini
    3) Reboot without the floppy

    4) If you have any problems, boot off the floppy and type SYS C: to
    repair the 98 boot files.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Captain Lon

    AG Guest

    Sys C: will leave you booting to DOS. I think that MSDOS.SYS is the file
    you'll have to either edit or just copy from another 98 machine.

    AG

    AG, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Captain Lon

    goorken Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:07:05 GMT, "Captain Lon" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey everyone.
    >
    >Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
    >wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
    >I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
    >it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
    >out slave hard drive (D:), and she is now back to using the original 98SE
    >(on C:).
    >
    >My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
    >us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
    >longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
    >been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
    >default OS???
    >
    >Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
    >but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
    >boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
    >understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
    >put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
    >least make 98 the default OS?
    >
    >Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=3
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >[operating systems]
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\

    >C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
    >
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    make the boot.ini look like this^^^^^^^

    goorken, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Captain Lon

    Captain Lon Guest

    Re: Resolution

    Thanks for your responses. Here is what I did:

    Boot with a Win98 boot disk.

    From the A:\> prompt, type SYS C: and press enter.

    Remove the boot disk and re-start the system.

    It works perfectly! Thanks.

    Captain Lon, Jun 18, 2005