Multiboot (last post)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Uplink, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I have a Windows XP Home Laptop Dell Inspiron 1150 with GRUB boot
    manager and Ubuntu 5.10
    with NO FLOPPY but a CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive, 4 partitions came with
    the system, 40 GB harddrive, local disk is C:\

    Ubuntu is on \, and partition Linux Ext2 and using Linux Swap as swap
    partition, I made a new partition E:\, for Windows 98 to boot on, but
    when installing Windows 98 it says I need to install DOS 6

    I go to install DOS 6 after burning dos to a CD and making it bootable
    with a dos boot image using Sonic RecordNow, it says it will format my
    harddrive and delete all partitions to make one, 40GB, DOS partition,

    I know I'll have to backup my files and let it do that, then install
    Windows 3.11 on DOS, then make a seperate FAT32 partiton to install
    Windows 98 and then make another partition for Windows XP, NTFS, then
    make an unformatted partition then install ubuntu 5.10 and let it
    format to Linux Ext2 and use space for a SWAP.

    Sorry for all the words and sentences and will not keep asking
    questions like this after this post is finished

    (and if I still can't get it working i'll just call the computer
    servicer in my town to help me)
    Uplink, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Erick Guest

    Something is not right if Windows 98 is telling you that you need to install
    DOS 6. Are you absolutely sure that it is Windows 98, and if so, which
    edition? See about trying to get ahold of Second Edition.

    Erick, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    My Windows disk says: Microsoft Windows98 Second Edition for PCs
    without Windows, for distribution with a new PC only.

    It's the second edition all right, but, I noticed it says for PCs
    without Windows, Windows 98 is not a true OS but more of a DOS shell I
    think.

    Windows XP doesn't need DOS to operate does it?

    I just have Windows XP (which doesn't need DOS) and Ubuntu Debian
    Linux.

    I have a copy of Windows98SE Upgrade version if that will work.
    Uplink, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP Home Laptop Dell Inspiron 1150 with GRUB boot
    > manager and Ubuntu 5.10
    > with NO FLOPPY but a CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive, 4 partitions came with
    > the system, 40 GB harddrive, local disk is C:\
    >
    > Ubuntu is on \, and partition Linux Ext2 and using Linux Swap as swap
    > partition, I made a new partition E:\, for Windows 98 to boot on, but
    > when installing Windows 98 it says I need to install DOS 6

    No it doesn't. Something is drastically wrong.

    > I go to install DOS 6 after burning dos to a CD and making it bootable
    > with a dos boot image using Sonic RecordNow, it says it will format my
    > harddrive and delete all partitions to make one, 40GB, DOS partition,

    DOS 6 would not be able to use 40 Gig, there was a IIRC DOS limit of 2 Gig.

    > I know I'll have to backup my files and let it do that, then install
    > Windows 3.11 on DOS, then make a seperate FAT32 partiton to install
    > Windows 98 and then make another partition for Windows XP, NTFS, then
    > make an unformatted partition then install ubuntu 5.10 and let it
    > format to Linux Ext2 and use space for a SWAP.

    I have never been masochistic enough to want to install all those OSs on
    the one machine, but I would start by partitioning the drive into at
    least four or five partitions, with a 2 gig C:, and install DOS on that.
    Install Windows 3.11 on C: Try then installing Windows 98 on the
    second partition formatted in FAT 32, then Windows XP on the next
    partition. Hopefully XP would be intelligent enough to setup a boot
    menu with the three choices.

    If all seems OK, then add Ubuntu.

    > Sorry for all the words and sentences and will not keep asking
    > questions like this after this post is finished
    >
    > (and if I still can't get it working i'll just call the computer
    > servicer in my town to help me)

    Try your school IT teacher.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 17 Jan 2006 17:08:13 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Uplink" <>
    spewed the following:

    |I have a Windows XP Home Laptop Dell Inspiron 1150 with GRUB boot
    |manager and Ubuntu 5.10
    |with NO FLOPPY but a CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive, 4 partitions came with
    |the system, 40 GB harddrive, local disk is C:\
    |
    |Ubuntu is on \, and partition Linux Ext2 and using Linux Swap as swap
    |partition, I made a new partition E:\, for Windows 98 to boot on, but
    |when installing Windows 98 it says I need to install DOS 6
    |
    |I go to install DOS 6 after burning dos to a CD and making it bootable
    |with a dos boot image using Sonic RecordNow, it says it will format my
    |harddrive and delete all partitions to make one, 40GB, DOS partition,
    |
    |I know I'll have to backup my files and let it do that, then install
    |Windows 3.11 on DOS, then make a seperate FAT32 partiton to install
    |Windows 98 and then make another partition for Windows XP, NTFS, then
    |make an unformatted partition then install ubuntu 5.10 and let it
    |format to Linux Ext2 and use space for a SWAP.

    Windows98 likes to be installed on the first partion (0) and can be
    bitchy if it doesn't get it's way.
    --

    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Uplink

    Erick Guest

    This is true, and I completely forgot about it. About the only thing you can
    do is start from scratch, installing Win98 first, then each additional OS
    afterwards. It's a bitch, and in my opinion, not worth it.

    Erick, Jan 20, 2006
  7. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Ok, I'm going to get a second harddrive and install Windows 98 on my
    main harddrive after formatting it, then install Windows XP then
    Ubuntu, which Ubuntu comes with GRUB to boot which OS, then on the
    second harddrive I'll make a 2gig partition that is FAT, install DOS 6
    and then install Windows 3.11.

    No, I have a 128MB Dell Memory key (E:\), could I use that for DOS,
    since I have a computer in my room that has dos and windows 3.11 that
    only has a 80MB harddrive

    And, if I can use the mem key then can I add partitions to it?
    Uplink, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 19 Jan 2006 16:54:38 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Uplink" <>
    spewed the following:

    |Ok, I'm going to get a second harddrive and install Windows 98 on my
    |main harddrive after formatting it, then install Windows XP then
    |Ubuntu, which Ubuntu comes with GRUB to boot which OS, then on the
    |second harddrive I'll make a 2gig partition that is FAT, install DOS 6
    |and then install Windows 3.11.
    |
    |No, I have a 128MB Dell Memory key (E:\), could I use that for DOS,
    |since I have a computer in my room that has dos and windows 3.11 that
    |only has a 80MB harddrive
    |
    |And, if I can use the mem key then can I add partitions to it?

    Windows 3.11 will not support the jump drive. I suggest, strongly,
    that you forget about all these systems on one tiny laptop. Learn what
    there is to learn, one step at a time, and move on. You are obviously
    exploring possibilities; take the time to master legacy, but move on
    as quickly as you can to next year.

    peace-out
    --

    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Jan 20, 2006
  9. Uplink

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > Ok, I'm going to get a second harddrive and install Windows 98 on my
    > main harddrive after formatting it, then install Windows XP then
    > Ubuntu, which Ubuntu comes with GRUB to boot which OS, then on the
    > second harddrive I'll make a 2gig partition that is FAT, install DOS 6
    > and then install Windows 3.11.
    >
    > No, I have a 128MB Dell Memory key (E:\), could I use that for DOS,
    > since I have a computer in my room that has dos and windows 3.11 that
    > only has a 80MB harddrive
    >
    > And, if I can use the mem key then can I add partitions to it?

    OK, try another tack. Install Windows 98 first, then follow the
    instructions on http://www.ctyme.com/msdos7.htm to enable you to boot
    into a DOS prompt. Install Windows 3.11 in a uniquely named directory,
    and write a basic menu batch file to run either 98 or 3.11

    If you only want 3.11 so you can play around with the old Program
    Manager and File Manager, then both of those should run fine, and IIRC
    were still included in Windows 98, so you do not even need to install 3.11

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Uplink

    bambam Guest

    "Uplink" <> wrote in news:1137718478.708160.72430
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Ok, I'm going to get a second harddrive and install Windows 98 on my
    > main harddrive after formatting it, then install Windows XP then
    > Ubuntu, which Ubuntu comes with GRUB to boot which OS, then on the
    > second harddrive I'll make a 2gig partition that is FAT, install DOS 6
    > and then install Windows 3.11.
    >
    > No, I have a 128MB Dell Memory key (E:\), could I use that for DOS,
    > since I have a computer in my room that has dos and windows 3.11 that
    > only has a 80MB harddrive
    >
    > And, if I can use the mem key then can I add partitions to it?

    Maybe this option would be easier-

    http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18
    bambam, Jan 20, 2006
  11. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Yeah, I think I'll get a cheap reburbished computer from Chip's
    Computers in my town, I don't want to end up wrecking my laptop with
    formatting and installing different OSes
    Uplink, Jan 22, 2006