Multi-terabyte dynamic disks are not supported under 64-bit W2K3!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Maurice Volaski, May 3, 2006.

  1. I am trying to span several large volumes. Some are under a terabyte;
    others are 3+ terabytes.

    I converted the less than 1 TB partitions to dynamic volumes with no
    problem. Even the boot (C) disk converted and I didn't need that to be
    dynamic.

    But my external hardware RAIDs, which are 3+ TB, will not convert. These
    are already GPT disks, and I have W2K3 standard 64-bit edition with SP1
    and all the latest patches.

    It gives me a bogus error that "The operation did not complete," falsely
    claiming there are more details in the event log.

    Interestingly, there is a knowledgebase article, 826823
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826823/en-us, that seems to be
    describing this exact problem, but the article claims it affects only
    the 32-bit editions of Windows Server 2K3. Of course, that hotfix will
    only work on the 32-bit edition.

    Even more oddly, that article seems to have been initially written
    before the first SP, but it's been updated recently, yet there is no
    mention of the service pack.

    Maurice Volaski, May 3, 2006

  2. Hello Maurice,
    Checking on this, but it appears that this should be included in the x64
    release already. So the QFE should not be needed
    Yes this should be in SP1 for Windows Server 2003. Since it is in Windows
    Server 2003 SP1, it should also be included in the X64 release.
    This may be another issue

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: Maurice Volaski <>
    <Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.gener
    al
    <Subject: Multi-terabyte dynamic disks are not supported under 64-bit W2K3!
    <Posted-And-Mailed: yes
    <Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:57:05 -0400
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 5, 2006

  3. In article <6Kc#>,
    ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote:

    > Hello Maurice,
    > Checking on this, but it appears that this should be included in the x64
    > release already. So the QFE should not be needed
    > Yes this should be in SP1 for Windows Server 2003. Since it is in Windows
    > Server 2003 SP1, it should also be included in the X64 release.
    > This may be another issue

    It is indeed another issue.

    The hardware RAID is a Promise VTrak, which uses > 512-byte sectors to
    achieve array sizes > 2 TB. Dynamic volumes require the array itself use
    512-byte sectors. (Presumably, other RAIDs keep the sector size at 512,
    but use > 32-bit addressing to permit > 2 TB volumes.)

    I reformatted the array this way and created on it < 2 TB logical
    volumes to cover the full capacity. These all appeared under Windows and
    I had no problem changing them to dynamic disks.

    Ideally, Windows should post a more informative message or at the very
    least Microsoft should post a knowledgebase article explaining what's
    going on.

    Maurice Volaski, May 5, 2006