    John McMahon Guest

    Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    John

    John McMahon, Jul 13, 2004

  2. On 13.7.2004 13:31, John McMahon wrote:

    > Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    Well, it's hard to find DVD players that will _not_ play multi-region.

    Hans Schlager, Jul 13, 2004

  3. John McMahon

    Karl S Guest

    Karl S, Jul 13, 2004
  4. John McMahon

    Cernovog Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 7:31:34 -0400, John McMahon wrote
    (in message <qKPIc.67052$MB3.20569@attbi_s04>):

    > Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    Go to your local electronics store -- wherever you prefer to go to buy a DVD
    player. Write down all the model numbers they have in stock. Go to
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php and look up the players. See which
    ones have multiregion capabilies. Purchase the one you like.

    Don't forget to also make sure the DVD player features PAL to NTSC
    conversion.

    Cernovog, Jul 13, 2004
  5. John McMahon

    OldNKranky Guest

    "Well, it's hard to find DVD players that will _not_ play multi-region."

    Hans, that maybe true in Europe, but in the U.S. most players are region
    locked and NTSC only.

    OldNKranky, Jul 13, 2004
  6. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Cernovog wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 7:31:34 -0400, John McMahon wrote
    > (in message <qKPIc.67052$MB3.20569@attbi_s04>):
    >
    > > Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    > Go to your local electronics store -- wherever you prefer to go to buy a DVD
    > player. Write down all the model numbers they have in stock. Go to
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php and look up the players. See which
    > ones have multiregion capabilies. Purchase the one you like.
    >
    > Don't forget to also make sure the DVD player features PAL to NTSC
    > conversion.

    I recently had this player recommended to me (although I haven't tried one
    myself):

    http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/asp/pid.1/qx/details.htm

    I think this is available at a better price from a Canadian site. Try
    Google.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 13, 2004
  7. John McMahon

    Justin Guest

    Stephen Cooke wrote on [Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:45:04 -0300]:

    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Cernovog wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 7:31:34 -0400, John McMahon wrote
    >> (in message <qKPIc.67052$MB3.20569@attbi_s04>):
    >>
    >> > Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    >> Go to your local electronics store -- wherever you prefer to go to buy a DVD
    >> player. Write down all the model numbers they have in stock. Go to
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php and look up the players. See which
    >> ones have multiregion capabilies. Purchase the one you like.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to also make sure the DVD player features PAL to NTSC
    >> conversion.

    > I recently had this player recommended to me (although I haven't tried one
    > myself):
    >
    > http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/asp/pid.1/qx/details.htm
    >
    > I think this is available at a better price from a Canadian site. Try
    > Google.

    $299.95

    Hmmm, or if you are in the US you can go to your local Best Buy, or
    bestbuy.com, and for about 10% of the price of that one you can pick up
    the Cyberhome CH-300, checkout dvdrhelp.com and find the region hack.

    Justin, Jul 13, 2004
  8. John McMahon

    Nosferax Guest

    "Justin" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Stephen Cooke wrote on [Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:45:04 -0300]:
    > >
    > > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Cernovog wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 7:31:34 -0400, John McMahon wrote
    > >> (in message <qKPIc.67052$MB3.20569@attbi_s04>):

    > >> Go to your local electronics store -- wherever you prefer to go to buy

    a DVD
    > >> player. Write down all the model numbers they have in stock. Go to
    > >> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php and look up the players. See

    which
    > >> ones have multiregion capabilies. Purchase the one you like.
    > >>
    > >> Don't forget to also make sure the DVD player features PAL to NTSC
    > >> conversion.

    > > I recently had this player recommended to me (although I haven't tried

    one
    > > myself):
    > >
    > > http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/asp/pid.1/qx/details.htm
    > >
    > > I think this is available at a better price from a Canadian site. Try
    > > Google.

    > $299.95
    >
    > Hmmm, or if you are in the US you can go to your local Best Buy, or
    > bestbuy.com, and for about 10% of the price of that one you can pick up
    > the Cyberhome CH-300, checkout dvdrhelp.com and find the region hack.

    Or in Canada, go to Zeller for the Cyberhome CH-300 $49.99Cdn. I bought one
    for my brother last christmas.

    Nosferax, Jul 13, 2004
  9. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Nosferax wrote:
    > "Justin" <> a écrit:

    > > Hmmm, or if you are in the US you can go to your local Best Buy, or
    > > bestbuy.com, and for about 10% of the price of that one you can pick up
    > > the Cyberhome CH-300, checkout dvdrhelp.com and find the region hack.

    > Or in Canada, go to Zeller for the Cyberhome CH-300 $49.99Cdn. I bought one
    > for my brother last christmas.

    The only problem is--not that the Cyberhome isn't a fine player for that
    price, I have one myself--it doesn't do PAL anamorphic. And there are a
    lot of reports over at nerd-out.com that the Cyberhomes have a failure
    rate akin to the Apexes. Even mine has started acting strangely on
    occasion, but usually shutting the power off and on does the trick.

    Any suggestions for the best value player that does PAL *and* Anamorphic?

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 13, 2004
  10. John McMahon

    lrulan Guest

    "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote in message

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Nosferax wrote:
    > "Justin" <> a écrit:

    > > Hmmm, or if you are in the US you can go to your local Best Buy, or
    > > bestbuy.com, and for about 10% of the price of that one you can pick up
    > > the Cyberhome CH-300, checkout dvdrhelp.com and find the region hack.

    > Or in Canada, go to Zeller for the Cyberhome CH-300 $49.99Cdn. I bought

    one
    > for my brother last christmas.

    The only problem is--not that the Cyberhome isn't a fine player for that
    price, I have one myself--it doesn't do PAL anamorphic. And there are a
    lot of reports over at nerd-out.com that the Cyberhomes have a failure
    rate akin to the Apexes. Even mine has started acting strangely on
    occasion, but usually shutting the power off and on does the trick.

    Any suggestions for the best value player that does PAL *and* Anamorphic?

    swac

    The Cyberhome 500 will do PAL anamorphic correctly. I've had 2 for about 3
    years now with no problems. The only drawback it has for me is it will not
    play my Panasonic-made discs. Other than that, it will play any other disc I
    throw at it. Cost about $79 here in the USA.
    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time

    lrulan, Jul 14, 2004
  11. John McMahon

    DVDfanatico Guest

    I think all or most Cyberhome players, including their DVD-Recordable and
    portable models have a code you can enter so they will play all regions.
    They're very inexpensive and high quality. They can convert PAL to NTSC.
    There seems to be some problem with PAL AND anamorphic. As I understood it, if
    you don't have a 16X9 TV the image will be squushed. Some people don't seem to
    have encountered this problem. Does anyone know anything about this?

    They sell them at RadioShack, Target, Walmart, Sam's Club, BestBuy, and
    www.cyberhome.com directly.

    Check out these useful sights:
    http://www.dvdcodes.net/
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    http://www.ebay.com
    http://www.amazon.de

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000093US3/qid=1076245336//r
    ef=pd_ka_1/103-7627413-7297434?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846
    According to one user who reviewed the product at Amazon, the player's
    regional coding can be defeated as follows:
    <<Just open the tray , press 9999 and 0 from remote with pauses between
    every digit.You'll see Region 0 on the screen and you are all set to play
    any DVD from any region!!!>>

    "John McMahon"
    >Please recommend players that will play multi-region.
    >
    >John

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jul 14, 2004
  12. "OldNKranky" <> wrote in message
    > "Well, it's hard to find DVD players that will _not_ play multi-region."
    >
    > Hans, that maybe true in Europe, but in the U.S. most players are region
    > locked and NTSC only.

    They are generally supplied that way in Europe too. But almost any non Sony
    player can be converted by a simple code entered through the remote control.
    This allows manufacturers to make one player and configure it once they know
    where they are going to deliver it.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 14, 2004

  13. > "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote:

    > The only problem is--not that the Cyberhome isn't a fine player for that
    > price, I have one myself--it doesn't do PAL anamorphic.

    I should have knocked on wood when I wrote that...My Cyberhome 300 crapped
    out last night while I was trying to load a disc...The screen went all
    funny, there were some loud "popping" noises, and I noticed a funny smell.

    Needless to say, I unplugged it pronto. To the returns department I go...

    I've had it since before Christmas. Maybe I can get a refund and find a
    player that does anamorphic...

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 14, 2004
  14. John McMahon

    Eric R. Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > lot of reports over at nerd-out.com that the Cyberhomes have a failure
    > rate akin to the Apexes.

    I can attest to that personally. I've had one for just a few months
    and it's already started to fail. As with the Apexes, you get what you
    pay for.

    Spend the money and buy a player that's going to last. Trust me, I've
    been through a lot of players since 1997, and I've yet to see a
    decently built one for under $100 U.S. Even the name-brand units I've
    bought for for under $100 have failed within about a year. My 2 newer
    $70 Toshibas both failed within a year. My 2 older, more expensive,
    Toshibas are still running strong after 7 years (just wish they
    supported DVD-R).

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jul 14, 2004

  15. >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 7:31:34 -0400, John McMahon wrote
    >> (in message <qKPIc.67052$MB3.20569@attbi_s04>):
    >>
    >> > Please recommend players that will play multi-region.

    I am comfortable recommending a modified JVC unit from
    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

    For over a year, I have been using a JVC XV-S500 that they modified,
    and have had no problems of any kind. I play R1, R2 and R4 discs on
    it, although it will play CDs, I use another unit for CD playing. I
    would suggest that you stay clear of the cheaper brands. I tried one
    and had to return it. Remember these machines are designed for feeding
    NTSC TV/monitors or multi-format TV/monitors, NOT PAL TV/monitors.

    Cheers,

    Charles
    nzvideos.org/

    Charles Eggen, Jul 14, 2004
  16. John McMahon

    Biz Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    > I think all or most Cyberhome players, including their DVD-Recordable and
    > portable models have a code you can enter so they will play all regions.
    > They're very inexpensive and high quality.

    Noone except you seems to have made the mistake of saying they are high
    quality. They are not. They are just easily made region/macro-free, play
    NTSC/PAL and are cheap.

    Biz, Jul 14, 2004
  17. On 14 Jul 2004, Eric R. wrote:

    > Stephen Cooke <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    > > lot of reports over at nerd-out.com that the Cyberhomes have a failure
    > > rate akin to the Apexes.

    > I can attest to that personally. I've had one for just a few months
    > and it's already started to fail. As with the Apexes, you get what you
    > pay for.
    >
    > Spend the money and buy a player that's going to last. Trust me, I've
    > been through a lot of players since 1997, and I've yet to see a
    > decently built one for under $100 U.S. Even the name-brand units I've
    > bought for for under $100 have failed within about a year. My 2 newer
    > $70 Toshibas both failed within a year. My 2 older, more expensive,
    > Toshibas are still running strong after 7 years (just wish they
    > supported DVD-R).

    True enough...I've used my 4-year-old Pioneer player day-in, day-out
    without a blip (even modified it to be region free). My Cyberhome CH-300
    cacked out after 6 months, and it was only used twice or three times a
    week.

    That Jaton is looking better all the time...

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 14, 2004
  18. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Biz wrote:
    > "DVDfanatico" <> wrote:

    > > I think all or most Cyberhome players, including their DVD-Recordable and
    > > portable models have a code you can enter so they will play all regions.
    > > They're very inexpensive and high quality.

    > Noone except you seems to have made the mistake of saying they are high
    > quality. They are not. They are just easily made region/macro-free, play
    > NTSC/PAL and are cheap.

    That's about it. Mine's going back to the Bay tomorrow. It's too bad, it
    was a fine little player while it worked. Had DTS and component output (my
    Pioneer had neither) and played PAL discs, but moderate useage led to an
    early demise. Not a good sign.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 14, 2004
  19. John McMahon

    Guest

    Electric Fan Club wrote:

    > They are generally supplied that way in Europe too. But almost any non Sony
    > player can be converted by a simple code entered through the remote control.
    > This allows manufacturers to make one player and configure it once they know
    > where they are going to deliver it.
    >
    > Ian.

    I'm in australia and my new sony player I just bought was multi-region.
    Sony would sell probably only half as many players if they were locked.

    A region-locked player would be totally worthless. I'm forever scouring
    the dvd comparison websites to find the best version worldwide of
    whichever movie I'm after. Being confined to one region would be ridiculous.

    , Jul 16, 2004
  20. >
    >The only problem is--not that the Cyberhome isn't a fine player for that
    >price, I have one myself--it doesn't do PAL anamorphic.

    that's strange. I read in several places that the Cyberhome does play
    anamorphic Pal dvd's correctly in ntsc.

    And that it's one of the very few platyers that do so properly.

    That's what I read in several places. However, my own experience (among many
    other peoples' own experiences) is that the Cyberhome players don't even play
    the dvd's for the region they were intended in.

    Waterperson77, Jul 19, 2004