    automatically a multi region too? And vice versa? Thanks much in
    advance..........

    , Jul 1, 2006

  2. Jim Waggener Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm quite happy with my current NTSC / R1 player, but am looking into a
    > multi region and multi format player for the rare dvd that's only
    > available in PAL or R2, 3, etc......... I hear there are some decent,
    > inexpensive players available. I don't want to spend much at all on
    > something I might use once every 3 or 4 months. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations? Also - if a player is multi format - is it
    > automatically a multi region too? And vice versa? Thanks much in
    > advance..........

    check out the Oppo DV971H, a fabulous multi format/multi region upscaling
    player with outstanding reviews

    www.oppodigital.com

    Jim Waggener, Jul 2, 2006

  3. jayembee Guest

    wrote :

    > I'm quite happy with my current NTSC / R1 player, but am looking into a
    > multi region and multi format player for the rare dvd that's only
    > available in PAL or R2, 3, etc......... I hear there are some decent,
    > inexpensive players available. I don't want to spend much at all on
    > something I might use once every 3 or 4 months. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations? Also - if a player is multi format - is it
    > automatically a multi region too? And vice versa? Thanks much in
    > advance..........

    Philips 642. Costs about $50 at Target, Wal-Mart, BJ's, and probably
    Costco. Handles most things that you can throw at it. Can be made
    multi-region with a remote command, though it doesn't advertise the
    fact, so you have to find the command at videohelp.com. Converts
    PAL to NTSC correctly. Plays VCD, SVCD, and MPEG-4 formats like
    DivX and XviD. About the only thing it doesn't play are the newer
    MP4 formats.

    There's also a newer model (can't recall the model number) that's
    about $70 that handles the MPEG-4 formats a little better.

    Oh, and the user interface sucks, but for $50, it's a minor quibble.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Mike S. Guest

    In article <Xns97F7C7DD1AF71jayembeesnurchercom@140.99.99.130>,
    jayembee <> wrote:
    > wrote :
    >
    >> I'm quite happy with my current NTSC / R1 player, but am looking into a
    >> multi region and multi format player for the rare dvd that's only
    >> available in PAL or R2, 3, etc......... I hear there are some decent,
    >> inexpensive players available. I don't want to spend much at all on
    >> something I might use once every 3 or 4 months. Any suggestions or
    >> recommendations? Also - if a player is multi format - is it
    >> automatically a multi region too? And vice versa? Thanks much in
    >> advance..........

    >Philips 642. Costs about $50 at Target, Wal-Mart, BJ's, and probably
    >Costco. Handles most things that you can throw at it. Can be made
    >multi-region with a remote command, though it doesn't advertise the
    >fact, so you have to find the command at videohelp.com. Converts
    >PAL to NTSC correctly. Plays VCD, SVCD, and MPEG-4 formats like
    >DivX and XviD. About the only thing it doesn't play are the newer
    >MP4 formats.
    >
    >There's also a newer model (can't recall the model number) that's
    >about $70 that handles the MPEG-4 formats a little better.

    DVP-3040 - bare bones
    DVP-5140 - similar to DVP-642, better MPEG; no DTS or optical output (coax
    only)
    DVP-5960 - like DVP-514- but with upscaling, HMDI output, and a front
    panel USB jack for playing JPEG, MP3, MPEG from an external
    USB drive.

    All three now use the MediaTek chipset, which is responsible for the
    improved MPEG4 performance/compatiblity vs the older ESS-based models.

    Mike S., Jul 6, 2006