    Regards
    Peter J
    see www.safe-nz.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Peter Jenkins

    DB Guest

    http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cach...?4-00000001-000-0-0-0-0-0 DVD-P147 hack&hl=en

    Two sets of replies as follows:-

    REPLY 1

    1. Power on your player
    2. Press and hold both the Play and Stop buttons on the player (this is
    called a Cold Start)
    3. After a short while you should be presented with a set of language
    options. Release the Play and Stop buttons on the player
    4. You will now need to select a language option between 1 and 6

    After this change the region with the following instructions:

    1. Press the Repeat button (not A-B button, just Repeat) on your remote
    control
    2. Using your remote control enter the code below, note that you must know
    what Region your player is CURRENTLY set to in order to know which code is
    appropriate:
    for Region 1 use 2, 9, 3, 3 and 4
    for Region 2 use 3, 8, 7, 6 and 7
    for Region 3 use 5, 6, 7, 3 and 2
    for Region 4 use 7, 6, 8, 8 and 4
    for Region 5 use 5, 3, 8, 1 and 4
    for Region 6 use 2, 4, 4, 6 and 2

    3. A code should be displayed on the screen indicating the current Region
    setting of your unit.
    4. Press the 9 button on your remote control for Region free, or 1 for
    Region 1, 2 for Region 2 and so on.
    5. Press the Open button on your player
    6. Press the Standby on remote

    It's done!

    REPLY TWO

    1. Press the Repeat button on your remote control
    NB: Do not confuse this with the Repeat A-B button

    2. If your player was purchased in Region 1:
    Press the buttons 2, 9, 3, 3 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    If it was purchased in Region 2:
    Press the buttons 5, 7, 5, 3 and 8 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    For Region 3 players:
    Press the buttons 5, 6, 7, 3 and 2 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    For Region 4 players:
    Press the buttons 7, 6, 8, 8 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    For Region 5 players:
    Press the buttons 5, 3, 8, 1 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    For Region 6 players:
    Press the buttons 2, 4, 4, 6 and 2 on your remote control, in order one at a
    time

    3. The numbers 02 or similar will be displayed on the top left of your
    onscreen
    display

    4. Press the 1 button on your remote control for region 1, 2 for region 2,
    and so
    on, or 9 for multi-region playback

    NB: The above step may be time sensitive and need to be performed quickly
    5. After 15 seconds have elapsed, power off your player and then power on
    your
    player

    DB, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Peter Jenkins

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed>
    wrote in message news:Vy5dd.99$...
    > Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    > 001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    >
    > works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    > that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    > certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    > longer the case?
    >
    > By the way does anyone have one of these and knows how to make
    > it work as a multi-region player? I've Googled and found nothing specific
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Regards
    > Peter J

    There's always been some DVD players that were never multi region. Even
    amongst some of the cheap brands. If in doubt one should ask before buying.
    With the large selection of region 4 DVDs available, it hardly matters
    compared to a few years ago when the selection of region 4 DVDs was piss
    poor.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Peter Jenkins

    El Penguino Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:05:27 +1300, "Peter Jenkins"
    <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:

    >Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    >http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    >001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    >
    >works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    >that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    >certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    >longer the case?

    I suspect that part of the DVD licensing conditions is to respect the
    zoning scheme . OTOH manufacturers know they need to have the units
    able to be un-zoned otherwise they might lose sales. So they release
    or leak the info how to un-zone it.
    El Penguino, Oct 20, 2004
  5. "DB" <> wrote in message > Two sets of replies as follows:-

    > REPLY 1
    >
    > 1. Power on your player
    > 2. Press and hold both the Play and Stop buttons on the player (this is
    > called a Cold Start)
    > 3. After a short while you should be presented with a set of language
    > options. Release the Play and Stop buttons on the player
    > 4. You will now need to select a language option between 1 and 6
    >
    > After this change the region with the following instructions:
    >
    > 1. Press the Repeat button (not A-B button, just Repeat) on your remote
    > control
    > 2. Using your remote control enter the code below, note that you must know
    > what Region your player is CURRENTLY set to in order to know which code is
    > appropriate:
    > for Region 1 use 2, 9, 3, 3 and 4
    > for Region 2 use 3, 8, 7, 6 and 7
    > for Region 3 use 5, 6, 7, 3 and 2
    > for Region 4 use 7, 6, 8, 8 and 4
    > for Region 5 use 5, 3, 8, 1 and 4
    > for Region 6 use 2, 4, 4, 6 and 2
    >
    > 3. A code should be displayed on the screen indicating the current Region
    > setting of your unit.
    > 4. Press the 9 button on your remote control for Region free, or 1 for
    > Region 1, 2 for Region 2 and so on.
    > 5. Press the Open button on your player
    > 6. Press the Standby on remote
    >
    > It's done!
    >
    > REPLY TWO
    >
    > 1. Press the Repeat button on your remote control
    > NB: Do not confuse this with the Repeat A-B button
    >
    > 2. If your player was purchased in Region 1:
    > Press the buttons 2, 9, 3, 3 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >
    > If it was purchased in Region 2:
    > Press the buttons 5, 7, 5, 3 and 8 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >
    > For Region 3 players:
    > Press the buttons 5, 6, 7, 3 and 2 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >
    > For Region 4 players:
    > Press the buttons 7, 6, 8, 8 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >
    > For Region 5 players:
    > Press the buttons 5, 3, 8, 1 and 4 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >
    > For Region 6 players:
    > Press the buttons 2, 4, 4, 6 and 2 on your remote control, in order one at a
    > time
    >

    > 3. The numbers 02 or similar will be displayed on the top left of your
    > onscreen
    > display
    >
    > 4. Press the 1 button on your remote control for region 1, 2 for region 2,
    > and so
    > on, or 9 for multi-region playback
    >
    > NB: The above step may be time sensitive and need to be performed quickly
    > 5. After 15 seconds have elapsed, power off your player and then power on
    > your
    > player

    Thank you!
    You are a scholar and a gentleman!
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Oct 20, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:05:43 +1300, El Penguino <elpenguino@icebergz-r-
    us.co.nz> says...
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:05:27 +1300, "Peter Jenkins"
    > <peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:
    >
    > >Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    > >http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    > >001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    > >
    > >works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    > >that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    > >certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    > >longer the case?

    > I suspect that part of the DVD licensing conditions is to respect the
    > zoning scheme . OTOH manufacturers know they need to have the units
    > able to be un-zoned otherwise they might lose sales. So they release
    > or leak the info how to un-zone it.

    The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    region only.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Peter Jenkins

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 20/10/2004 23:57:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:05:43 +1300, El Penguino <elpenguino@icebergz-r-
    > us.co.nz> says...
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:05:27 +1300, "Peter Jenkins"
    >><peja!!!!capitalpunishmentforspammers!!!!@xtra.co.enzed> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    >>>http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    >>>001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    >>>
    >>>works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    >>>that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    >>>certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    >>>longer the case?

    >>I suspect that part of the DVD licensing conditions is to respect the
    >>zoning scheme . OTOH manufacturers know they need to have the units
    >>able to be un-zoned otherwise they might lose sales. So they release
    >>or leak the info how to un-zone it.

    > The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    > clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    > region only.

    Thats what a lot of them *say* but anything that can be changed once or
    even five times can usually be circumvented to be changed as many times
    as you like. Havnt come across a DVD unit yet that destroys the ability
    to change it with hacking tricks once you reach the so called change limit.

    *cross post to nz.general removed*
    Collector_NZ, Oct 20, 2004
  8. Peter Jenkins

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:57:18 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    > clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    > region only.

    My DVD drive, O Shit-for-brains, is region free - and has been from
    the day I bought it.

    Perhaps you should have bought a different DVD drive. ;o)

    And/or perhaps you should have done better research prior to buying your
    DVD drive.

    I can play DVDs from all regions without worry of my DVD drive locking
    into any one particular region.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  9. Peter Jenkins

    E. Scrooge Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:57:18 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    >> clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    >> region only.

    > My DVD drive, O Shit-for-brains, is region free - and has been from
    > the day I bought it.
    >
    > Perhaps you should have bought a different DVD drive. ;o)
    >
    > And/or perhaps you should have done better research prior to buying your
    > DVD drive.
    >
    > I can play DVDs from all regions without worry of my DVD drive locking
    > into any one particular region.
    >

    > Divine

    DVD Genie should fix restrictions for most people.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Peter Jenkins

    El Penguino Guest

    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:05:43 +1300, El Penguino <elpenguino@icebergz-r-
    >us.co.nz> says...

    >> I suspect that part of the DVD licensing conditions is to respect the
    >> zoning scheme . OTOH manufacturers know they need to have the units
    >> able to be un-zoned otherwise they might lose sales. So they release
    >> or leak the info how to un-zone it.

    >The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    >clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    >region only.

    The OP was talking about DVD players , as was I.

    Slightly interesting Samsung side note, Plinius are building their own
    DVD player based on the samsung.Apparently.
    El Penguino, Oct 21, 2004
  11. Peter Jenkins

    geoffm Guest

    <> wrote:

    >The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    >clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to one
    >region only.

    Mine thought that as well , but those nice Dangerous Brothers at
    www.rpc1.com gave it amnesia!
    Geoff
    geoffm, Oct 21, 2004
  12. Peter Jenkins

    Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:32:57 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    >> I can play DVDs from all regions without worry of my DVD drive locking
    >> into any one particular region.

    > DVD Genie should fix restrictions for most people.

    DVD Genie does not address the region restrictions in the DVD Drive itself.

    DVD Genie DOES address the region restrictions coded into DVD playing
    software.

    Both aspects need to be addressed in order to truly have a region-free DVD
    Player in a computer.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Oct 22, 2004
  13. Peter Jenkins

    Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:49:11 +1300, El Penguino wrote:

    > Slightly interesting Samsung side note, Plinius are building their own
    > DVD player based on the samsung.Apparently.

    IOW, Plinius are planning to release a re-badged Samsung DVD player.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Oct 22, 2004
  14. Peter Jenkins

    E. Scrooge Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:32:57 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > >> I can play DVDs from all regions without worry of my DVD drive locking
    > >> into any one particular region.

    > > DVD Genie should fix restrictions for most people.

    > DVD Genie does not address the region restrictions in the DVD Drive

    itself.

    > DVD Genie DOES address the region restrictions coded into DVD playing
    > software.
    >
    > Both aspects need to be addressed in order to truly have a region-free DVD
    > Player in a computer.
    >

    > Divine

    Hardly matters if the altered software then allows you to play any region.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 22, 2004
  15. Peter Jenkins

    Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:11:28 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    >> DVD Genie does not address the region restrictions in the DVD Drive

    > itself.
    >>
    >> DVD Genie DOES address the region restrictions coded into DVD playing
    >> software.
    >>
    >> Both aspects need to be addressed in order to truly have a region-free DVD
    >> Player in a computer.

    > Hardly matters if the altered software then allows you to play any region.

    And that's the rub - having ONLY the altered software does NOT permit
    multi-region playback, because the DVD Drive will eventually lock it's
    regionality.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."
  16. Peter Jenkins

    Guest

    > The instructions for the DVD ROM drive I installed today state very
    > clearly it can be changed about five times after that it is locked to

    one
    > region only.

    You just need to reflash the drive. You should be able to find firmware
    for the drive somewhere on the net, usually you can find firmware
    without the stupid 5 change limit, otherwise at least you've got
    something to reset the drive with. The firmware installation is usually
    painless, a few might require you to boot into DOS, but most will work
    without a reboot I think.

    Once you fix the drive, you'll also need to fix Windows if you use it,
    since it also tries to enforce the 5 change limit. There are a few
    shareware programs around, but all they do is back up a registry key
    and restore it. The key is pretty obvious, its under
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows and has a cryptic looking name to make
    it loko suspicious.

    Note: reading this post in the USA is probably illegal under the DMCA.
    Please erase your memory promptly if you have read it in error.
    , Oct 22, 2004
  17. Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    > 001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    >
    > works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    > that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    > certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    > longer the case?
    >
    > By the way does anyone have one of these and knows how to make
    > it work as a multi-region player? I've Googled and found nothing
    > specific

    Have you checked it's only region 4 by puting in a non -region 4 disc?

    My panasonic player was supposedly region 4, that's what it said in the
    manual. Even gave a diagram illustating how the disc had to have either "4"
    or "ALL" marked on the label. Yet it's played all of the region 1 and 2
    discs I've put in it (assuming of course they were really region 1 and 2
    only).
    ERNEST THE SHEEP, Oct 23, 2004
  18. Peter Jenkins

    A Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:53:11 +1300, "ERNEST THE SHEEP"
    <> wrote:

    >Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >> Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147
    >> http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10
    >> 001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    >>
    >> works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    >> that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    >> certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    >> longer the case?
    >>
    >> By the way does anyone have one of these and knows how to make
    >> it work as a multi-region player? I've Googled and found nothing
    >> specific

    >Have you checked it's only region 4 by puting in a non -region 4 disc?
    >
    >My panasonic player was supposedly region 4, that's what it said in the
    >manual. Even gave a diagram illustating how the disc had to have either "4"
    >or "ALL" marked on the label. Yet it's played all of the region 1 and 2
    >discs I've put in it (assuming of course they were really region 1 and 2
    >only).

    Yep I've heard of someo f the major brand names that come multiregion
    out of the box. The manuals and packaging says region 4 - if you ring
    up their helpline they say its region 4 only. Most of the informed
    resellers know its multi-region. The "official" line is that they are
    region 4 only players but to compete in today's market they need to be
    multi-region.
    A, Oct 23, 2004
  19. Peter Jenkins

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:53:11 +1300, "ERNEST THE SHEEP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > >> Friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD P147

    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeI
    d=10
    > >> 001&catalogId=10001&productId=42470&crumb=10003-10133-10098-10099
    > >>
    > >> works OK but is Region 4 only apparently. I was under the impression
    > >> that all DVD players were multi-region out of the box here. That
    > >> certainly was the case when I bought mine 3-4 years ago. Is this no
    > >> longer the case?
    > >>
    > >> By the way does anyone have one of these and knows how to make
    > >> it work as a multi-region player? I've Googled and found nothing
    > >> specific

    > >Have you checked it's only region 4 by puting in a non -region 4 disc?
    > >
    > >My panasonic player was supposedly region 4, that's what it said in the
    > >manual. Even gave a diagram illustating how the disc had to have either

    "4"
    > >or "ALL" marked on the label. Yet it's played all of the region 1 and 2
    > >discs I've put in it (assuming of course they were really region 1 and 2
    > >only).
    > >

    > Yep I've heard of someo f the major brand names that come multiregion
    > out of the box. The manuals and packaging says region 4 - if you ring
    > up their helpline they say its region 4 only. Most of the informed
    > resellers know its multi-region. The "official" line is that they are
    > region 4 only players but to compete in today's market they need to be
    > multi-region.

    They were region 4 only players, but once they got feedback that most
    customers wanted and were buying multi region players instead. They then
    altered the players so the stores could sell them, only the sales people of
    the stores could state they were multi zone. My Toshiba is one such player.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 23, 2004