    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Dave Saville

    alexd Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:

    > Friend of mine is a partner in a small business. They have two offices in
    > two different towns and are expanding to a third. Could they do something
    > clever by having say an asterisk server in one location handling all three
    > sites? Not certain at this point if the three sites are fixed IP or not. I
    > suspect not.

    Fixed IPs would make life a lot easier. We've found that using a decent
    firewall with the ability to prioritise voice traffic over
    non-time-critical stuff was handy.

    It's worth bearing in mind that if the internet connection drops at location
    with the Asterisk server, none of the branches could make calls. One
    potential solution to this is having multi-SIP-account phones at the branch
    offices - if the internet connection to the Asterisk server goes off, the
    user can just use a different SIP account. After spending ages setting up
    20 phones with 2 accounts each, you'll probably wish you went for an
    Asterisk box at each site :)

    I was thinking of doing similar, but I've come to the conclusion that it's
    probably better in the long run to have an Asterisk server at every site.
    One reason being that you can set up a trunk between two Asterisk servers,
    so if you're bandwidth-poor [256k up DSL at either end, for example]
    compared to the number of calls you want to make, Asterisk will allow you
    to specify the maximum number of concurrent calls a trunk can handle. That
    way, callers will get a busy tone instead of abysmal call quality when
    there's too many calls going over it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:14:04 up 26 days, 11:12, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.26, 0.13

    alexd, Jun 15, 2006

  3. hi

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > Friend of mine is a partner in a small business. They have two offices in two
    > different towns and are expanding to a third. Could they do something clever by
    > having say an asterisk server in one location handling all three sites? Not
    > certain at this point if the three sites are fixed IP or not. I suspect not.

    In our experience, if they put an asterisk server at both sites, they
    could use that to link them together - or, if they have sufficient
    bandwidth, then they could just have the one server in one site.

    the main problem will be that if you do it, all phone calls (even within
    satelite offices) will be trunked through the "main office" internet
    connection.

    The alternative to doing this would be to have a hosted asterisk
    solution, where by you use a provider's virtual PBX, and then all the
    phones connect over the internet to a centralised pbx hosted in a
    datacentre - and that means that bandwidth will be used equally across
    all adsl lines.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 15, 2006
  4. Peter Gradwell wrote:

    > In our experience, if they put an asterisk server at both sites, they
    > could use that to link them together - or, if they have sufficient
    > bandwidth, then they could just have the one server in one site.
    >
    > the main problem will be that if you do it, all phone calls (even within
    > satelite offices) will be trunked through the "main office" internet
    > connection.

    Is there any reason why you can't have them using dialplans in asterisk
    to forward calls to the relevant hosts (with rsa authentication), and
    have 3 trunks to the outgoing provider (one at each site), since they
    all have internet connections.

    A lot more information is necessary really (mostly regarding the
    internet connections used).

    Also worth mentioning that to use trunking, asterisk needs a timing
    source (preferably a hardware one), will the machines need line cards
    for any purpose?

    Doing this all without static IPs would be very difficult.

    As alex states, it's worth noting that you will require a good firewall,
    if you don't want to have 2 broadband connections at each site.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell wrote:
    >

    >>In our experience, if they put an asterisk server at both sites, they
    >>could use that to link them together - or, if they have sufficient
    >>bandwidth, then they could just have the one server in one site.
    >>
    >>the main problem will be that if you do it, all phone calls (even within
    >>satelite offices) will be trunked through the "main office" internet
    >>connection.

    > Is there any reason why you can't have them using dialplans in asterisk
    > to forward calls to the relevant hosts (with rsa authentication), and
    > have 3 trunks to the outgoing provider (one at each site), since they
    > all have internet connections.

    yeah. I guess some dial plan jiggery pokery could be done to optimise
    the call routing.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 22, 2006