    price range.

    thanks,
    Matt A.

    Matt Ashbrook, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Matt Ashbrook

    gsum Guest

    Epson 3200 flatbed.
    See the review in www.photo-i.co.uk

    Pros:
    Produces almost endless resolution, limited by the
    film grain,
    Easy to use and has Silverfast software,
    Has masks for 35mm, MF and 4x5,
    Cheap (about 260UK pounds),
    Reasonably fast.

    Cons:
    Struggles with underexposed transparencies as it
    cannot dig detail from very dark areas,
    Some results posted on this NG and elsewhere
    indicate that there may be production problems
    leading to variations in quality. The scanner probably
    needs to be sited in a vibration free location to get
    the best from it - I seem to have a good 'un.

    I have produced 24x36 inch prints from 6x9
    Provia 100 transparencies. The results are not
    acceptable to my eyes but this is due film grain rather
    than any nasties introduced digitally. 24x16 is OK.

    At 4x5 the limitation is likely to be your computer.
    A 2000ppi scan (the resolution limit for Provia 100)
    will give a 240 mbyte file which will need some
    processing!

    Hope this helps,

    Graham

    "Matt Ashbrook" <> wrote in message
    > I need opinions/prices on a scanner that will scan negs/slides up to 4 x

    5.

    gsum, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Matt Ashbrook

    Tony H Guest

    "gsum" <> wrote:

    >Epson 3200 flatbed.
    >See the review in www.photo-i.co.uk
    >
    >Pros:
    >Produces almost endless resolution, limited by the
    >film grain,

    >Snip

    I think tests show that it only achieves about 1700 or 1800 dpi in
    practice, due to limitations in the optics, lack of focus adjustment
    and use of a diffuse light source. Still, this is the most cost
    effective scanning solution for MF and LF users.

    TH

    Tony H, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Matt Ashbrook

    gsum Guest

    Yes that might be correct but it is good enough to
    clearly show grain in ISO 100 transparencies at
    well below the claimed maximum optical resolution.

    Graham

    gsum, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Matt Ashbrook

    Excused Guest

    "gsum" <> wrote in

    > Epson 3200 flatbed.
    > See the review in www.photo-i.co.uk
    >
    > Pros:
    > Produces almost endless resolution, limited by the
    > film grain,
    > Easy to use and has Silverfast software,
    > Has masks for 35mm, MF and 4x5,
    > Cheap (about 260UK pounds),
    > Reasonably fast.

    I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations for lower priced units.
    (US$300 is OK, but under $200 preferred) It would be used primarily for
    scanning 35mm slides for posting to websites, so high resolution isn't a
    bid concern.

    What does concern me is the software that comes with the scanner. It
    would be used with a Mac, and many of the reviews I've seen for low end
    units complain that the Mac versions of the software are garbage.

    Excused, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Matt Ashbrook

    Tony H Guest

    Graham

    There've been some interesting comments about "grain aliasing" in the
    "Film scanner" thread currently on this group which may be relevant to
    your comment on ISO 100 grain.

    The point is if you do a comparison of scans of the same slide or neg
    from the Epson vs a 2700 dpi film scanner the difference is enormous.
    There will be lots of detail visible on the 2700 film scanner that
    just doesn't show on the Epson. Scans from the Epson will be OK for
    small prints (say 7 x 5) or web use, which might be all that many
    require. But if you want to extract as much info from your film as
    possible for archiving purposes you currently need a film scanner. I'm
    using a Canon FS2710 (2700 dpi) which I'm currently happy with, but
    many are saying that the new 4000/5400 dpi film scanners give better
    results, though I've not yet seen a direct comparison which proves the
    point.

    I also have an Epson 2450 (which has almost the same optical
    performance as the 3200) which I use for MF scanning, and I find it
    quite adequate for that. It will be interesting to see whether the
    upcoming Epson 4870 gives a significant optical performance imrovement
    over either the 2450 or 3200. Unless they've greatly improved the
    optics and/or fitted autofocus I doubt that it will.

    TonyH

    Tony H, Dec 20, 2003