    I am using an Intel dp35dp motherboard with 1 PCI Express x16, 3 PCI Express
    x1 and 3 conventional PCI slots.
    The processor is quad core and I would like to run Windows XP pro 64 bit
    Dan Gill, Jan 28, 2008

  2. "Dan Gill" <> skrev i meddelandet
    news:%...
    > Does anyone know how to run 12 monitors from 1 machine?
    > I have been told that no Windows version can support more than 10
    > monitors.
    > I am using an Intel dp35dp motherboard with 1 PCI Express x16, 3 PCI
    > Express
    > x1 and 3 conventional PCI slots.
    > The processor is quad core and I would like to run Windows XP pro 64 bit

    Check out Matrox website
    http://www.matrox.com

    They got some quad products, like this one (they have 64-bit drivers for
    both Vista and XP):
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/finent/products/mms/g450quad.php

    /Magnus
    Magnus Flysjö, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Dan Gill

    Dan Gill Guest

    Thanks Magnus;
    My problem, I believe, is with Windows.
    I have been told that Windows will not support more than 10 monitors without
    choaking.
    Any ideas?
    Dan Gill, Jan 29, 2008
  4. That is a defined limitation. I believe that it is also a limitation stated
    in the EULA. While it can be changed (I believe in the registry), doing so
    would put the user out of compliance with the license.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2008
  5. Why would the EULA care how many monitors are connected, as long as it's
    only one console?

    Of course, we haven't quite gotten much of a clue of what Dan is trying to
    do here that requires more than 10 monitors.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2008
  6. I may be misremembering which items are noted in the EULA. Connections is
    one, for example, and the clause prohibiting workarounds would kick in. I
    probably have crossed items in my mind. Just something to always keep in
    mind.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2008
  7. Dan Gill

    Dan Gill Guest

    The systems are for stock trading and the customer has requested 12 monitors
    per machine. I think he heard of someone else running 12 and wants to be on
    the bleeding edge.
    With all of the problems involved, I think the wise thing to do is use 8
    monitors per machine and use a couple of extra machines.
    The customer wants a 48 x 19" LCD screen display with a seperate machine to
    run 3 x 24" , 3 x 30" and have the capability of displaying video from any
    of the screens on 1 to 3 52" TV's .
    This is a wonderfull exercise in understanding something I am not familliar
    with.
    Also, I understand there is a memory addressing issue where you loose
    available memory for each video card added.
    Is this also true for the 64 bit edition of Windows?
    Thanks for all the help so far, you guys have given me lots to think about
    and I am willing to check out any other ideas you may have.
    regards
    Dan
    Dan Gill, Jan 29, 2008
  8. An interesting scenario, certainly.

    On the memory issue. each card will want some memory (and this makes the 4
    head cards from Matrox a good bet here), and the total video memory will
    affect how much. BUT, since x64 is not limited to 4 GB of memory address
    space, you can regain your memory on 64bit XP/Vista by using the BIOS to
    remap the memory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Yeah, I knew which clause you were referring to, but I don't think it
    applies. This is simply a display issue, not a connections issue. OTOH, the
    memory issue would definitely be a problem on 32-bit Windows, since each
    additional video card is going to need its own memory address space. It's
    going to get crowded above 2GB on a 32-bit OS.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2008
  10. Yeah, 12 outputs would probably have to be a custom job.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2008
  11. Dan Gill

    Carlos Guest

    And also the operators for such megamonitor setup would be a custom job.
    The poor creatures of this planet are stuffed with only two video capture
    implants, known as eyes.
    I wonder how Dan will solve the issue of a single operator for 12 monitors!
    A biological feat greater than the technological one.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 29, 2008
  12. I could start making jokes about frogs but my overseas friends would shoot
    me.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2008
  13. I was thinking. . . why 'someone' didn't think of having 4 x 30" HP's (3065)
    they're affordable and power bill friendly and would probably be a trivial
    burden to light up?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 29, 2008
  14. Dan Gill

    Dan Gill Guest

    Thanks to All for a lot of useful help.
    As to the operator, Mine is not to reason why....but to build what I am
    asked to build.
    I will not be operating these systems on a day to day basis. That will fall
    on someone elses head :)
    thanks again
    Dan
    Dan Gill, Jan 31, 2008