    commander?

    Thanks so much,

    TM

    =?Utf-8?B?VE0=?=, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Please read this newsgroup thoroughly concerning device driver issues. If
    you are carrying over the devices from your old computer, especially
    printers, modems, scanners, etc. you are probably going to have issues.

    Please view the webcast at
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    I don't think you need System Commander. You are leaving behind old
    technologies. I would dual boot XP Pro x86 and XP Pro x64 to insure
    continuity of your devices and some programs (programs with 16-bit
    components, such as the installer) will not work on x64. 32-bit device
    drivers won't either.

    I would run other operating systems such as Win98, Win2000, and Linux with
    Virtual PC 2004 on the XP Pro x86 partition. That way you do not have to
    reboot to run them and you don't have to partition your hard drives further
    than for the x86 and x64 editions of XP.

    XP Pro x64 is OEM only. You get just like you do Media Center Edition,
    preinstalled on a new PC or from a system builder with qualifying hardware.

    I would work with your system builder so that you get your new pc with both
    x86 and x64 preinstalled.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005

  3. System Commander almost certainly won't work. I'm pretty sure it's 16 bit.
    But please, take a look at the web cast I did a few days ago:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753, and think about whether
    you fit into that target audience right now. And read the newsgroup a bit
    here, to see what sorts of issues folks are having, and what those of us who
    are not having problems did to make sure we wouldn't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 19, 2005
  4. There seems to be an echo in here. ;)

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VE0=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I generally consider products from VCOM as lower on the desirability list
    than Symantec/Norton or McAfee. You should be able to install the product
    on an earlier OS (Win98 or XP) and boot to x64 if you wish to.
    Remember there can be problems in the MBR when you are installing Windows
    and Linux according to several other posters here

    John Barnes, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Generally, there'll be no problems if you install Windows first - then
    Linux. But we live in a Universe of free choice, we can all mess things up.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 19, 2005
  7. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Thank you very much. Would love to try x64, but think it is a
    bit much for me right now. When I used to have the time to
    setup programs like this, it would have been worthwhile, but
    for now, I'll just keep watching the threads and learn instead!

    Thank you all very much.

    TM

    =?Utf-8?B?VE0=?=, Nov 20, 2005