    Alsenor Guest

    Can anyone give me a solid guide to creating a multi-boot drive?
    I have partitioned my HD and would like to choose between W 7 and XP.

    Alsenor, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Install XP first. Then Install Win7 as a New Install, (custom) not an
    upgrade. It will create the necessary settings to enable dual boot.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Charlie, I bought a new HP with W7 installed. Unfortunately they don't give
    you an installation CD with it any longer, nor does a home made "rescue CD"
    include the "factory reset" option we had in Vista.
    So I am a bit hesitant to abandon my original installation!
    All I dared do so far was create a few partitions via "godmode", but even
    that doesn't look exactly he way I want it.
    I want to make the partitions just large enough to hold the 2 operating
    systems, and use the rest of the space for "apps" and "docs" partitions.
    However, although the C partition (where W7 resides) is more than 88% free
    space, it doesn't let me shrink it to less than 300 GB. Why?
    I even ran a chkdsk on it, which made no difference.
    I appreciate your help!
    Al.

    Alsenor, Jan 17, 2010
  4. Alsenor

    Carlos Guest

    Alsenor,
    Defragment your partition C: before trying to shrink it.
    There may be at least a piece of a file near the "outer" boundaries (close
    to the 300GB) that needs to be relocated by defrag, closer to the beginning
    of the partition.
    Once the partition is defragged (packed more densely) there should be more
    room for defragging.
    Carlos
    P.S.: I don't recommend installing XP after 7 because XP destroys its boot
    loader.
    It is risky, it can be fixed, but definitely not a practice for the normal
    user.

    Carlos, Jan 17, 2010
  5. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Yes, I did defrag it as well, thinking of that reason.
    Then I ran the chkdsk.
    Still wants to be 300 GB!

    Alsenor, Jan 17, 2010
  6. Alsenor

    Kue2 Guest

    U maybe need a third party disk management program
    such as Acronis.
    www.Acronis.com
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/
    to do what u want to do, as far as partitioning the hard-drive.
    To add XP after Windows 7 is installed is considered a high level
    task at the least. I would not recommend unless you are very tech savvy.
    You will need to have a licensed copy of XP(install disk) & also a licensed
    copy of Windows 7 (install disk). If you are going to have a duel boot have
    XP-32 bit, keep in mine you will loose your restore points whenever you duel
    boot.

    Kue2, Jan 17, 2010
  7. Alsenor

    Carlos Guest

    Alsenor,
    You mentioned "godmode" for managing new partitions.
    Didn't you try the normal way, i.e., Disk Management?
    Run it with Windows Key + R, diskmgmt.msc, then press ENTER.
    Check if you can shrink your partition from there.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 17, 2010
  8. Alsenor

    Tom Guest

    I would recommend BootIt Next Generation over Acronis, it is much cheaper,
    easier to use and it is almost fool-proof to use.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

    Tom, Jan 17, 2010
  9. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Godmode actually opens diskmgmt.msc.
    I thought that it would be the most reliable method, and it seems to work
    much faster than my Acronis app.

    Alsenor, Jan 17, 2010
  10. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Assuming you are talking about "Acronis Disk Director 2010" - it just told
    me that it is incompatible with W7 home premium.

    Alsenor, Jan 17, 2010
  11. Alsenor

    Carlos Guest

    Alsenor,
    So you do have Acronis.
    Can it accomplish the shrinking thingie?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 18, 2010
  12. Alsenor

    Kue2 Guest

    Use the bootable media disk.

    Kue2, Jan 18, 2010
  13. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    That is the one I tried to use, but failed.
    It works on my wife's W7 Ultimate, but not on my Home Premium.

    Alsenor, Jan 18, 2010
  14. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Well, it doesn't work on my machine (not compatible, it says!).

    Alsenor, Jan 18, 2010
  15. Alsenor

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Alsenor.

    Well, the Golden Rule of dual-booting is, as Charlie said, to always install
    the newest OS last. But since you don't want to erase your hard drive and
    start over, you'll need to first "break" Win7's dual-boot start-up by
    installing WinXP, and then run Win7's Repair utility to fix the damage.

    Since Win7 was pre-installed on your new, virgin computer, you probably have
    a small 100 MB partition - with NO drive letter - at the very beginning of
    your hard disk drive. (This arrangement is a new feature of Win7.) Then
    you have - or you originally had - a single partition called Drive C: with
    Win7 installed and a lot of free space. The Graphical View of Disk
    Management should show both these partitions on your Disk 0. You haven't
    given us any numbers so we don't know how big your HDD is or how much free
    space you have. Is this correct, so far?

    On the Disk Management screen, note especially the Status column in the top
    area. I expect that the System label is on that unlettered partition and
    that the Boot label is on Drive C:. Still correct?

    Then right-click on Drive C: and choose Shrink volume. Win7 probably takes
    up something less than 20 GB as originally installed, but it GROWS!! So, if
    you have plenty of hard drive space, leave it with at least 30 GB or even 40
    GB. (My Win7 Ultimate x64 Drive C: is 60 GB, with 25 GB still free after
    about 6 months of use.) Then, still using Disk Management, right-click in
    the Free space and Create a volume for WinXP. Since WinXP is much smaller
    and does not grow as fast, 20 GB should be more than enough. You will want
    to create one or more additional volumes in the free space, but there's no
    hurry for this; you can do it after both Win7 and WinXP are installed and
    working, or do it now.

    Then boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and install WinXP into that second
    partition. But remember, no matter where Windows (whether Win2K/XP/Vista or
    Win7) Setup installs Windows, Setup will ALWAYS write the < 1 MB of startup
    files into the System Partition. Typically that has always been Drive C:,
    but with Win7, that new unlettered partition is the System Partition and
    THAT's where you should expect to see WinXP's startup files (NTLDR,
    NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini), alongside Win7's start-up files (bootmgr and the
    contents of the \Boot folder); all these files are Hidden and System, by
    default. If they are NOT in that hidden partition, please post back and
    tell us what you see.

    Now, you should be able to boot into WinXP, but not into Win7. Insert the
    Win7 DVD and boot from it. Choose to Repair the boot files. Win7 Setup
    should re-create the multi-boot menu, giving you the option to boot Win7 or
    the "Previous version of Windows". When you choose "previous", Win7's
    bootmgr will step out of the way and turn over control to NTLDR, etc., so
    they can boot WinXP.

    I haven't actually done this, Alsenor, so tread carefully. I haven't run
    WinXP in over 3 years now, although I did keep a copy in a volume on one of
    my HDDs until last week - when that HDD died and will have to be replaced
    under warranty. I'm just glad that Win7 is on a different drive that is
    still good.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 18, 2010
  16. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Thank you for your detailed advice!
    My main problem is that my new HP PC came installed with W7, but without
    install CD.
    I am hesitant to wipe out my factory OS, for fear of not being able to
    reinstall it.
    It came with a 640 GB HDD, which I partitioned into 4 parts, but it won't
    let me shrink the C partition into less than 300 GB, which is a big waste
    for the W7 OS only.
    If I could, I would have the slimmest W7 on C, then a second partition of 20
    gigs for XP, and the rest in two partitions for APPS and DOCS.
    That would make it easy to make image backups onto my old 80 GB external
    drives, without having to worry about reinstalling APPS when needed for a
    new drive.

    Alsenor, Jan 18, 2010
  17. Alsenor

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Alsenor.

    > My main problem is that my new HP PC came installed with W7, but without
    > install CD.

    I'm hoping that someone who actually has such a PC will chime in and confirm
    that the recovery partition on that machine will let you reinstall Win7
    after you've wrecked its startup files by installing an older Windows over
    it. I THINK you will be able to do that - but, as I said, I've never had a
    PC with a pre-installed OS, so I'm only guessing.

    Have you asked HP about this?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 20, 2010
  18. Alsenor

    Richard Guest

    Alsenor,

    I have a new HP Pavilion dv7t-3000 Notebook. Like yours, my computer did not
    come with recovery disks. In my case, the recovery files are located on D:
    and I have also had to recover the system back to factory settings due to my
    "playing around" trying to "force" a non-compatible application
    installation. The recovery process works fine. Go ahead and use it. Assuming
    that your can boot your system to the C: drive, search for "recovery
    manager" at the "start menu". While my problem did not involve resizing or
    creating partitions, it did set everything back to the original factory
    settings.

    Preferably before, but definitely after you completely restore the factory
    settings, make a set of "recovery disks". You do this by searching from the
    "start menu" for "recovery disc creation". This creates, in my case "3 DVD"
    disks which are a copy of the recovery partition "D". That way, if you
    decide to delete and reformat "D", you still have a copy of the factory
    settings. Also if, for some reason, you can't boot from "C", you can boot
    from these discs and restore your system. NOTE: The recovery disks ARE NOT
    the same thing as a Windows 7 rescue disc. I haven't used the "rescue disc"
    yet so I'm not exactly sure of its function. I just know that they are not
    the same.

    I also recommend that you check your BIOS boot order to ensure that it
    allows booting from a CD/DVD first, and the internal HD second. During my
    recovery, I noticed that the order was reversed. I assume that was one of
    HP's great moves.

    As an aside, I would like to point out a couple of additional things.

    1. HP will not support your desire to have a "dual boot" system. Based on
    my experience with them, they won't even understand what you are trying to
    do and will insist that you recover your system back to "factory settings"
    in order to receive support. Also I recommend an allocation of a lot of
    phone time and the use of Filipino and/or Indian interpreters. HP Support
    may speak English, but that doesn't mean that they understand it. Working
    with them requires a llllllllloooooooooootttttttttt of patience.

    2. Which version of Windows 7 do you have? If you have either
    "Professional or Ultimate" you could install the XP Virtual Mode, which
    would allow you to run XP from within Windows 7. Search Microsoft's website
    on the XP Mode details. Also individuals in this newsgroup can probably be
    of assistance. Unfortunately, I have not utilized that ability due to lack
    of need at this time. "That's shorthand for chicken" :)

    It sounds like you have a few hours attempting do accomplish what you
    trying. You'll lose all of that, but at least if you recover back to factory
    settings, you'll be back "neat and clean" at square one.
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    Richard, Jan 20, 2010
  19. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Yes, RC, that is what I was hoping for as well.
    I haven't consulted with HP support yet, because I know they don't support
    my plans of dual booting.

    Alsenor, Jan 20, 2010
  20. Alsenor

    Alsenor Guest

    Richard, it seems my D partition contains the same, however called "factory
    image".
    It has 11.04 GB.
    When I saw that I felt relieved that this may be the same as the "factory
    reset" option on the Vista rescue CDs I had.
    My only concern is that I may not be able to boot up at all, in which case
    it would be of no use.
    I had a previous machine, identical to the current one, which refused ANY
    kind of booting attempt or repair, after I had been "playing around" with
    partitioning, and trying to install XP Pro.
    I finally had to take it back and get a new one, but don't want to repeat
    the same mistake.
    Some of the problems seem to stem from my attempts to restore from backup
    partitions that were not the same size as the one I wanted to restore to.

    I wonder if one could make a bootable copy of that D partition, and use that
    as the last resort of rescue?
    Your pointer to the "recovery disc creation" may actually BE that solution -
    I suspect it is exactly what I was looking for.
    Do you agree?

    The version my box came with is the "Home Premium". I also have an
    "Ultimate" (of questionable origin), which works fine on my wife's machine,
    in dual boot mode with XP.
    If I install that version I may lose some of the HP proprietary stuff they
    installed on the machine, but may gain the "XP Virtual Mode", eliminating
    the need for a dual boot.
    I should try some apps on the other machine to make sure that virtual stuff
    actually works in W 7.

    Richard, et al, I really appreciate the help and thorough advice!

    Al.

    Alsenor, Jan 20, 2010