    Any ideas? At least XP is working, so I can write/send this.

    Thanks!

    Frank
    Frank J. Fedel, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Frank J. Fedel

    Harrison Guest

    Since you are at least starting the boot phase od 98SE, the multi-boot
    part is irrelevant. Beyond that, sound like the cam software hosed
    98SE.
    Unless you really need 98SE, and NT too for that matter, I recommend
    going to XP exclusively.

    Harrison, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Frank J. Fedel

    °Mike° Guest

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:44:29 -0400, in
    <>
    Frank J. Fedel scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Doesn't this presuppose my ability to get into Win98SE? I can't get it to
    load, so how do I start my troubleshooting? #1 says, "On the General
    tab..." but I can't get my Win98SE to boot... Can I do it another way?

    PreviousPoster, Oct 14, 2003
  5. I might just do that down the road, but how do I save all of the information
    on my desktop, etc.? I'd like to at least have access to the files I've
    saved there (as well as programs on the C: drive).

    - Frank (again)

    PreviousPoster, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Frank J. Fedel

    Brian H¹© Guest

    PreviousPoster said:

    > I might just do that down the road, but how do I save all of the information
    > on my desktop, etc.? I'd like to at least have access to the files I've
    > saved there (as well as programs on the C: drive).
    >
    > - Frank (again)

    No wonder you have system problems, don't save files to your desktop, save them
    to a folder somewhere else.
    If you are able to boot with a different OS, navigate to the folders and
    save/move the content.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Frank J. Fedel

    Harrison Guest

    The Windows 98 and NT partitions should be visible from XP.
    Copy the files you want to save over to the XP partition, or simply
    leave them there and delete Windows systems files and program files
    that are no longer needed. Then use your XP CD to reset the boot
    record for XP only.

    Harrison, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Frank J. Fedel

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into DOS and type:

    scanreg /restore

    Choose a date prior to the problem.

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:08:29 -0400, in
    <>
    PreviousPoster scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 14, 2003
  9. Thanks for the suggestion; I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, after
    I did the scanreg, my system did the same thing. I am not thrilled with
    Logitech's software right now...

    - Frank

    PreviousPoster, Oct 14, 2003
  10. I occasionally save files TEMPORARILY to the desktop for later printing (I
    find that it's easy to remember I have to do something with them when
    they're staring me in the face).

    Thanks for the suggestion of booting with anothe OS & saving files; I'll
    probably do that as a safety measure. One other question: since I have a
    lot of programs installed using Win98, I'd really like to keep it for now,
    until I install all of them on XP. Any suggestions?

    - Frank

    PreviousPoster, Oct 14, 2003
  11. The 98 and NT partitions are visible, and I will copy files I want to save
    to a temp folder; burn them to CD; and move forward, even if only as a
    precautionary measure. My biggest concern with jumping to XP right now is
    the number of programs I have installed with 98. It will take days to
    install them all on XP if I need to reinstall them. Any ideas? Can XP
    access them?

    - Frank

    PreviousPoster, Oct 14, 2003
  12. Frank J. Fedel

    Harrison Guest

    A very small number of programs will run simply by firing up the exe
    file from XP, but this is by far the exception and not the rule.
    (WinAmp 2.8 and earlier, Forte Agent, IrfanView)
    Many 98 programs will run fine on XP after being installed under XP.
    There may be a few that will not.

    If you need to reclaim your 98 partition and perhaps add it back to
    the XP partition, you'll need something like Partition Magic.

    Harrison, Oct 14, 2003
  13. Frank J. Fedel

    °Mike° Guest

    If the software has been uninstalled, and the registry
    restored to a date prior to the problem, it sounds like
    it could be a hardware problem. Have you tried a
    scandisk (with full surface scan) on the 98 partition?
    Bad clusters could cause lock ups.

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:46:22 -0400, in
    <>
    PreviousPoster scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Frank J. Fedel

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, PreviousPoster mused:

    | Thanks for the suggestion; I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately,
    | after I did the scanreg, my system did the same thing. I am not thrilled
    | with Logitech's software right now...

    From left field ... have you tried booting without the Logitech camera
    plugged in?
    mhicaoidh, Oct 15, 2003
  15. Unfortunately, yes; but good thought. I'm still looking at reinstalling
    Win98SE for a while, since I have so many programs that didn't work with XP.

    In case you know, if I reinstall Win98SE, do all of my previously installed
    programs need to be reinstalled as well. If so (bummer), how do I get rid
    of the program files before reinstalling them? All of my programs are
    stored on a separate partition.

    PreviousPoster, Oct 16, 2003