Multi-boot screw up

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Slip Kid, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. Slip Kid

    Slip Kid Guest

    M$ OS

    I've had great luck "sharing" t-bird in a multi-boot scenario. But, It
    has failed me on a new install of an OS/

    I have a "fake" folder called "Windows" It contains all my
    Firefox/T-Bird trees in an "Application" subfolder.

    I simply copiy the pref file to the new OS and all points to the common
    (fake) Windows tree in the new folder. Yes, each profile resides in the
    Documents and Settings for each OS profile. I simply clone the .ini. to
    the "new" OS profile in D&C.

    I open T-Bird (I install & execue in a T-Bird folder, not programs) in
    the new OS and it's just like the one on another drive. It's always worked.

    I did a new install, same steps as with other multi-boots?

    -------

    Well, T-Bird opens? Its a white GUI with nothing but text (jumbled a
    bit) for all the contents on the screen!

    It's all "there"?!??! It is not useable.

    All my accounts, the newgroups and new and old messages - - In a
    bizarre and not usable text on a white background!

    Why?

    I've done this several times and it always worked! Well, the "profile"
    and settings are there? It's just in a goofy and worthless GUI - White
    backgrund and black text.

    Can I fix that?

    What is Plan B so I don't have to re-do the two other OS's which work
    fine. I want to share files between OS'and execute form the common
    T-bird .exe (not in a Progams)

    BTW, the new OS is XP but I also have XP and W2k which work fine with
    this config.

    How can I keep the config as I have in the two other OS's & all the info
    in the new OS yet "fix it" so It is usable in the new install?

    ~~~~
    Michael

    --
    "If you're not in the recording studio you might as well not do it,
    because you might get it.

    Jim Dickinson - American record producer, pianist and singer.

    Please use the following to reply, directly:
    WGFA
    @#waste#
    image-link
    ..com
    I hope that has slowed the Usenet e-mail harvest - - by a few days?

    Slip Kid, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Slip Kid

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Slip Kid wrote:

    > M$ OS
    >
    > I've had great luck "sharing" t-bird in a multi-boot scenario. But, It
    > has failed me on a new install of an OS/
    >
    > I have a "fake" folder called "Windows" It contains all my
    > Firefox/T-Bird trees in an "Application" subfolder.
    >
    > I simply copiy the pref file to the new OS and all points to the common
    > (fake) Windows tree in the new folder. Yes, each profile resides in the
    > Documents and Settings for each OS profile. I simply clone the .ini. to
    > the "new" OS profile in D&C.
    >
    > I open T-Bird (I install & execue in a T-Bird folder, not programs) in
    > the new OS and it's just like the one on another drive. It's always
    > worked.
    >
    > I did a new install, same steps as with other multi-boots?
    >
    > -------
    >
    > Well, T-Bird opens? Its a white GUI with nothing but text (jumbled a
    > bit) for all the contents on the screen!
    >
    > It's all "there"?!??! It is not useable.
    >
    > All my accounts, the newgroups and new and old messages - - In a
    > bizarre and not usable text on a white background!
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > I've done this several times and it always worked! Well, the "profile"
    > and settings are there? It's just in a goofy and worthless GUI - White
    > backgrund and black text.
    >
    > Can I fix that?
    >
    > What is Plan B so I don't have to re-do the two other OS's which work
    > fine. I want to share files between OS'and execute form the common
    > T-bird .exe (not in a Progams)
    >
    > BTW, the new OS is XP but I also have XP and W2k which work fine with
    > this config.
    >
    > How can I keep the config as I have in the two other OS's & all the info
    > in the new OS yet "fix it" so It is usable in the new install?

    i found that extensions and themes cannot be shared between OS's in the
    same profile [well XP and Linux to be precise... but thats just _my_
    experience and currently i have a shared FAT32 drive and everything is
    on there with my linux profiles.ini pointing to it too... for firefox
    its the same but different as i have my own profile for linux and
    windows BUT i use a symbolic link to link linux bookmarks to windows
    bookmarks (everytime bookmarks.html is accessed from linux it gets
    redirected to the windows bookmarks.html file]

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox

    Jedi Fans, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Slip Kid

    Slip Kid Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    > Slip Kid wrote:
    >

    >> M$ OS
    >>
    >> I've had great luck "sharing" t-bird in a multi-boot scenario. But, It
    >> has failed me on a new install of an OS/
    >>
    >> I have a "fake" folder called "Windows" It contains all my
    >> Firefox/T-Bird trees in an "Application" subfolder.
    >>
    >> I simply copiy the pref file to the new OS and all points to the
    >> common (fake) Windows tree in the new folder. Yes, each profile
    >> resides in the Documents and Settings for each OS profile. I simply
    >> clone the .ini. to the "new" OS profile in D&C.
    >>
    >> I open T-Bird (I install & execue in a T-Bird folder, not programs)
    >> in the new OS and it's just like the one on another drive. It's
    >> always worked.
    >>
    >> I did a new install, same steps as with other multi-boots?
    >>
    >> -------
    >>
    >> Well, T-Bird opens? Its a white GUI with nothing but text (jumbled a
    >> bit) for all the contents on the screen!
    >>
    >> It's all "there"?!??! It is not useable.
    >>
    >> All my accounts, the newgroups and new and old messages - - In a
    >> bizarre and not usable text on a white background!
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> I've done this several times and it always worked! Well, the
    >> "profile" and settings are there? It's just in a goofy and worthless
    >> GUI - White backgrund and black text.
    >>
    >> Can I fix that?
    >>
    >> What is Plan B so I don't have to re-do the two other OS's which work
    >> fine. I want to share files between OS'and execute form the common
    >> T-bird .exe (not in a Progams)
    >>
    >> BTW, the new OS is XP but I also have XP and W2k which work fine with
    >> this config.
    >>
    >> How can I keep the config as I have in the two other OS's & all the
    >> info in the new OS yet "fix it" so It is usable in the new install?

    > i found that extensions and themes cannot be shared between OS's in the
    > same profile [well XP and Linux to be precise... but thats just _my_
    > experience and currently i have a shared FAT32 drive and everything is
    > on there with my linux profiles.ini pointing to it too... for firefox
    > its the same but different as i have my own profile for linux and
    > windows BUT i use a symbolic link to link linux bookmarks to windows
    > bookmarks (everytime bookmarks.html is accessed from linux it gets
    > redirected to the windows bookmarks.html file]

    Thanks, it appears the "theme" is the hang up as the blank white screen
    w/text and not graphics still shows all my settings, account etc...

    I've used this method with several M$ OS's and it' always worked.

    I did have the same problem once and because I tried so many different
    things - - the one which brought up the correct GUI/"theme"? Well, I
    don't recall "what" did it.

    My main concern is "only" sharing all the data file between two machined
    so if I bounce back and forth between OS's they have the same content.
    And, my plan of "cloning" the D&S file has always worked.

    Do we know why it didn't work this time?

    I'd really like to "fix" the new install...but..

    Is there a Plan B which doesn't require me to screw up what is working
    no the main/boot OS. I'd rather not change or or risk losing a working
    config in the main boot.

    Again, I know this has worked before.

    I supose my painful but surfire way is to establish all new accounts in
    a new profile (in the new install) an point everything to the folders I
    am using for the main boot?
    My concern it overwriting the data in the shared folder, when I use one
    OS or another.

    I know I've overcome this "now GUI before...I was hoping someone had the
    same experience - -but fixed and "remembered" what they did!

    ~~~~
    Michael

    Slip Kid, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Slip Kid

    Slip Kid Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    > Slip Kid wrote:
    >

    >> M$ OS
    >>
    >> I've had great luck "sharing" t-bird in a multi-boot scenario. But, It
    >> has failed me on a new install of an OS/
    >>
    >> I have a "fake" folder called "Windows" It contains all my
    >> Firefox/T-Bird trees in an "Application" subfolder.
    >>
    >> I simply copiy the pref file to the new OS and all points to the
    >> common (fake) Windows tree in the new folder. Yes, each profile
    >> resides in the Documents and Settings for each OS profile. I simply
    >> clone the .ini. to the "new" OS profile in D&C.
    >>
    >> I open T-Bird (I install & execue in a T-Bird folder, not programs)
    >> in the new OS and it's just like the one on another drive. It's
    >> always worked.
    >>
    >> I did a new install, same steps as with other multi-boots?
    >>
    >> -------
    >>
    >> Well, T-Bird opens? Its a white GUI with nothing but text (jumbled a
    >> bit) for all the contents on the screen!
    >>
    >> It's all "there"?!??! It is not useable.
    >>
    >> All my accounts, the newgroups and new and old messages - - In a
    >> bizarre and not usable text on a white background!
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> I've done this several times and it always worked! Well, the
    >> "profile" and settings are there? It's just in a goofy and worthless
    >> GUI - White backgrund and black text.
    >>
    >> Can I fix that?
    >>
    >> What is Plan B so I don't have to re-do the two other OS's which work
    >> fine. I want to share files between OS'and execute form the common
    >> T-bird .exe (not in a Progams)
    >>
    >> BTW, the new OS is XP but I also have XP and W2k which work fine with
    >> this config.
    >>
    >> How can I keep the config as I have in the two other OS's & all the
    >> info in the new OS yet "fix it" so It is usable in the new install?

    > i found that extensions and themes cannot be shared between OS's in the
    > same profile [well XP and Linux to be precise... but thats just _my_
    > experience and currently i have a shared FAT32 drive and everything is
    > on there with my linux profiles.ini pointing to it too... for firefox
    > its the same but different as i have my own profile for linux and
    > windows BUT i use a symbolic link to link linux bookmarks to windows
    > bookmarks (everytime bookmarks.html is accessed from linux it gets
    > redirected to the windows bookmarks.html file]

    I did respond to your post? Perhaps I wasn't sure if it applied to my
    problem (I've always has success before with a multi-boot and sharing a
    single folder betwen two OS's).

    I'd prefer to share my folder (and have in the past) & I s'pose if the
    choice is between having two different "versions" of T-bird with e-mail
    folders from each, residing in a different folder...no, that isn't
    acceptable.

    I despise OE but at least it allows for the all too common practice of
    having a common folder for various installs. It's XP on both drives!

    As my problem is not that T-bird won't execute and I don't have my
    profile and settings in the other install? I'd hoped I was close! (Plus
    I have run it in a multi-boot/shared folder before.)

    My problem is I don't have a "GUI" in install #2. I have a white screen
    an blak text which is useless.

    So, is there a "fix" for that or I T-Bird history for a multi-boot. I
    thought it was going to be a simple fix.

    With no good news it doesn't appear T-Bird is going to make as my my
    multi-boot e-mail app.

    ~~~~
    Michael

    Slip Kid, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Slip Kid

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Slip Kid wrote:
> [...]

    > I'd prefer to share my folder (and have in the past) & I s'pose if the
    > choice is between having two different "versions" of T-bird with e-mail
    > folders from each, residing in a different folder...no, that isn't
    > acceptable.
    >
    > I despise OE but at least it allows for the all too common practice of
    > having a common folder for various installs. It's XP on both drives!
    >
    > As my problem is not that T-bird won't execute and I don't have my
    > profile and settings in the other install? I'd hoped I was close! (Plus
    > I have run it in a multi-boot/shared folder before.)
    >
    > My problem is I don't have a "GUI" in install #2. I have a white screen
    > an blak text which is useless.
    >
    > So, is there a "fix" for that or I T-Bird history for a multi-boot. I
    > thought it was going to be a simple fix.
    >
    > With no good news it doesn't appear T-Bird is going to make as my my

    ermm as i said before extensions and themes cannot be transferred in my
    experience...

    Jedi Fans, Aug 12, 2005