Multi-boot config opinions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, May 22, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    On my Microsoft box:
    In BIOS I have boot order set to IDE then SATA

    Drive1 - Western Digital IDE has 5 partitions:
    X64, XP ( basic/test install only), Vista32 Beta ,Vista64 Beta, Temp

    Drive 2 = Maxtor SATA currently 3 partitions:
    2 are XP bootable partititions and one is my Archive area.

    Drive 3 = new 300gb Seagate SATA
    and looking at reconfig.

    How would you organize ? All OS'es on one drive ?

    Currently I boot to IDE disk where I choose Vista or X64 or XP
    If XP, then my boot menu =
    XP on SATA partitition 1 ( reinstalled when I bought the drive last
    year)
    or
    XP on SATA partitition 2 ( an old ghosted install )
    or
    XP on the IDE

    That way if I want to just remove the X64 drive all works OK. SATA alone
    boots to XP fine.
    By messing with boot order in BIOS I can have 1 or 2 drives in there and
    all is OK.
    Currently 2 drives , AMD Athlon 2ghz ,single CPU, 1gb mem
    Not crazy about Maxtor drive as my primary. I got it only because at the
    time I got a great deal. I do back it up / ghost it often and tired of
    it. give me a Seagate drive and I have no issues with having that as my
    primary.
    I was thinking of:
    1. ghosting the IDE to new SATA ( so to not reinstall OS'es)
    2. Then replace xp test partition with image my current / daily XP
    partition.
    3. Maybe ... then replace TEMP partition with Win2000.
    Result: Then I have all OS'es on the newest drive
    Win 2000, xp,x64,vista32/64 and then
    4. use a separate disk for just my Archive/Library area.

    I not doing this to free up a drive - I have plenty of disk drives. Just
    cleaning up.
    Originally I thought I'd use X64 when I got it ( with the box) but not
    many x64 apps ever came along.
    I do have old Win2000 drive here too and thinking of simply
    Multibooting 2000/XP.
    X64 and Vista rarely used. What do you think ? Worth doing this to keep
    my OS options open ?
    As for getting W2k to boot on the OS drive - what's the easiest way to
    achieve that ?

    Thanks,
    Bobb
    - Bobb -, May 22, 2007

  2. - Bobb -

    Guest

    Id keep the Vistas and the XPs on two separate devices, mainly to the
    use of Vista's new BCD boot manager.
    If I was (and I am) using XP most often, Id keep Vista from adding an
    uncessary extra boot manager on top of the
    already existing one on my system.
    However, If you have to have both on the same device, I hear its
    possible to install Vista and then remove the BCD
    boot information. I would just use some third party boot manager then
    and control partition switching through that.
    Does this make any sense? I feel like Im missing something...

    jon
    http://www.jonbarton.net

    , May 23, 2007