    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: They Are The Only Culture Some People Have

    OldGringo38, Nov 8, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
    > would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
    > address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    I'm not a hands on expert, but I can read the Mulberry faq and know
    about Tbird.

    Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields- see
    http://www.mulberrymail.com/faq/general/abook.shtml What is the format
    of the Mulberry addressbook? - The field order for a Mulberry address
    book is as follows ... <10 fields, no separate lastname firstname, but
    instead uses Full Name in the format lastname, firstname>

    Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields and
    it uses lastname and firstname as separate fields. Here is an article on
    Tbird importing, which I assume is the same as the number of fields it
    will export http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_address_list_from_text_file
    <shows 36 different fields>

    So, what I would do would be to export the Tbird ab as .csv or tab
    delimited and I would import that into an Excel-like app, such as
    OpenOffice spreadsheet.

    OO can handle tab delimited as well as comma separated, but it isn't as
    apparent - so that is a separate subject.

    The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
    directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
    delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
    the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

    By importing into the spreadsheet and tweaking the configuration of your
    ab so that it matches the Mulberry's, you will get the kind of result
    you want.

    That Mulberry style of handling the Full Name is a bit of a problem -
    the last and first names need to be handled separately sortable.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 8, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 5:30 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
    >> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
    >> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > I'm not a hands on expert, but I can read the Mulberry faq and know
    > about Tbird.
    >
    > Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields- see
    > http://www.mulberrymail.com/faq/general/abook.shtml What is the format
    > of the Mulberry addressbook? - The field order for a Mulberry address
    > book is as follows ... <10 fields, no separate lastname firstname, but
    > instead uses Full Name in the format lastname, firstname>
    >
    > Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields and
    > it uses lastname and firstname as separate fields. Here is an article on
    > Tbird importing, which I assume is the same as the number of fields it
    > will export http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_address_list_from_text_file
    > <shows 36 different fields>
    >
    > So, what I would do would be to export the Tbird ab as .csv or tab
    > delimited and I would import that into an Excel-like app, such as
    > OpenOffice spreadsheet.
    >
    > OO can handle tab delimited as well as comma separated, but it isn't as
    > apparent - so that is a separate subject.
    >
    > The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
    > directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
    > delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
    > the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.
    >
    > By importing into the spreadsheet and tweaking the configuration of your
    > ab so that it matches the Mulberry's, you will get the kind of result
    > you want.
    >
    > That Mulberry style of handling the Full Name is a bit of a problem -
    > the last and first names need to be handled separately sortable.

    Thanks a million Mike, I'll work on it. It only took me an hour and a
    half to figure out how to get the email address into the To: line. :)

    Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
    address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
    TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
    Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
    to do what you suggested anyway. :)

    --
    OldGringo38

    OldGringo38, Nov 8, 2010
  4. OldGringo38

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
    > would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
    > address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
    situation. Are you going to try to move email?

    Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
    the files are named differently.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 8, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields

    >> Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields

    >> The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
    >> directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
    >> delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
    >> the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

    > Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
    > address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
    > TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
    > Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
    > to do what you suggested anyway. :)

    I should have mentioned that it would/might be worthwhile to just try
    the simple import/export (which is like drag and drop) first and see
    what you get without any tweaking.

    If your existing ab is simple enough without a lot of fields populated,
    there's a greater chance of it 'just working'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 8, 2010
  6. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 5:54 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> Mulberry wants a tab delimited file and it just has a few fields

    >>> Tbird ab can export as a tab delimited, but it has a lot more fields

    >>> The reason I would use the intermediate step instead of trying to go
    >>> directly from export as tab delimited from Tbird's ab and import the tab
    >>> delimited into Mulberry is because it doesn't give you a change to tweak
    >>> the condition; whereas the spreadsheet will.

    >> Me being who I am I thought I would try something. So I opened the
    >> address books in TB & Mulberry small windows. I then using the edit on
    >> TB selected all of the addresses. I then did a drag and drop to
    >> Mulberry address book. Bingo it worked. I really don't have the brains
    >> to do what you suggested anyway. :)

    > I should have mentioned that it would/might be worthwhile to just try
    > the simple import/export (which is like drag and drop) first and see
    > what you get without any tweaking.
    >
    > If your existing ab is simple enough without a lot of fields populated,
    > there's a greater chance of it 'just working'.

    I tried the import/export first but no luck. Anyway mission accomplished.
    Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

    OldGringo38, Nov 9, 2010
  7. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 5:50 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
    >> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
    >> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
    > situation. Are you going to try to move email?
    >
    > Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
    > the files are named differently.

    No email moving. Thanks again.

    OldGringo38, Nov 9, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 5:50 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
    >> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
    >> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
    > situation. Are you going to try to move email?
    >
    > Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
    > the files are named differently.

    No email moving. Thanks again.

    The first account setup was fairly easy, now I need to figure out how to
    create a second and third account and then Gmail, Mulberry is not user
    friendly for a novice but just looking at for someone like you it would
    be a snap. Someone with the knowledge of the terminology used in
    computer programs. Again Mike Thanks for the help. I'll get there. <g>

    OldGringo38, Nov 9, 2010
  9. OldGringo38

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:38:47 -0600, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
    > would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
    > address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    If you format your hard drive, it will automatically import all the
    settings and address book into Mulberry.

    It's like magic!

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he rolled off the prostitute.

    Dan C, Nov 9, 2010
  10. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 8:46 PM Just to please that super-ego, Dan C wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:38:47 -0600, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What I
    >> would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
    >> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > If you format your hard drive, it will automatically import all the
    > settings and address book into Mulberry.
    >
    > It's like magic!

    Thanks Dan, I'll try that. <g>

    OldGringo38, Nov 9, 2010
  11. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 02:46:32 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:38:47 -0600, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
    >> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get the
    >> address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > If you format your hard drive

    Diagnosis: Terminally Stupid.

    Meat Plow, Nov 9, 2010
  12. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 5:50 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> I am experimenting with Mulberry v8.0.4 it looks very promising. What
    >> I would line to know, from a hands on expert, is there a way to get
    >> the address book from Thunderbird into Mulberry and maybe settings.?

    > I don't know about settings, but I've read up on the mail storage
    > situation. Are you going to try to move email?
    >
    > Mulberry likes Eudora's mail storage. Eudora's is like Tbird's except
    > the files are named differently.

    No email moving. Thanks again.

    The first account setup was fairly easy, now I need to figure out how to
    create a second and third account and then Gmail, Mulberry is not user
    friendly for a novice but just looking at for someone like you it would
    be a snap. Someone with the knowledge of the terminology used in
    computer programs. Again Mike Thanks for the help. I'll get there. <g>

    Update: Tue 09 November 2010, 06:39 PM --600 (Central Standard Time)
    The second 2 accounts and Gmail account was a snap, I just went to the
    accounts and forwarded them to the account setup in Mulberry. :)
    Good enough for Government Work LOL

    OldGringo38, Nov 10, 2010