MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Christopher Yeung, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor lenses
    please?
    Christopher Yeung, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Christopher Yeung

    frederick Guest

    Christopher Yeung wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor lenses
    > please?

    http://www.photodo.com/
    Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most makers.
    frederick, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Christopher Yeung

    Frank ess Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Christopher Yeung wrote:
    >> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
    >> lenses please?

    > http://www.photodo.com/
    > Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
    > makers.

    Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Christopher Yeung

    frederick Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Christopher Yeung wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
    >>> lenses please?

    >> http://www.photodo.com/
    >> Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
    >> makers.

    > Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.

    Anything later than an AI-s is new to me....
    frederick, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Christopher Yeung

    SimonLW Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Frank ess wrote:
    > > frederick wrote:

    > >> http://www.photodo.com/
    > >> Not complete, but many new and old favourites are rated from most
    > >> makers.

    > > Which are the "new" ones? My random selection didn't come up with any.
    > >

    > Anything later than an AI-s is new to me....

    Last time I was on photodo, It seemed they have stopped actively testing
    lenses. I've not seen much of anything new in years.
    -S
    SimonLW, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Christopher Yeung

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
    >lenses please?

    Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
    Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
    tell us which link to use for MTF charts?

    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Christopher Yeung

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >... I can't read Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on
    >http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    By blindly clicking I can see that on this first page the 2nd grouping
    with the lens front showing has four links to different classes of
    lenses, click on the bottom right link takes you to telephotos, click
    on one of them (say the 500) takes you to a page like this, with the
    MTF charts at the bottom of the sheet ...
    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/singlefocal/super/ai_af-s_ed_500mmf4d_2_if.htm

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Christopher Yeung

    Dimitris M Guest

    I have already download most of the MTF charts from this Japanese site and I
    have merged in a word doc the charts for the 34 more popular lenses. The doc
    is 260 kb and if you give me a binaries newsgoup that I can access, I can
    upload it there.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Christopher Yeung

    BC Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    "By blindly clicking I can see that on this first page the 2nd grouping

    with the lens front showing has four links to different classes of
    lenses, click on the bottom right link takes you to telephotos, click
    on one of them (say the 500) takes you to a page like this, with the
    MTF charts at the bottom of the sheet ...
    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/singlefocal/super/ai_...
    "

    Nikon seems to be just as bad as Canon in publishing MTF charts that
    violate physics! For example, the 500mm chart that you mention has
    most of the curves starting out at an MTF value of 1.0. This is
    impossible for an f/4 lens, and it makes one wonder just where they are
    getting their data from.

    I've always liked the Photodo data much better since it is actual
    measured data that makes sense. Photodo also provides curves both for
    wide open and at f/8, which allows you to deduce extremely useful
    information about color fringing and other particular aberrations. Its
    too bad that Photodo is all but dead!

    Brian
    BC, Aug 16, 2005
  10. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
    >>lenses please?

    > Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
    > Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
    > tell us which link to use for MTF charts?
    >
    > http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF chart
    is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide open, something
    one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech literature.)

    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/zoom/wide/ai_af-s_ed_17-35mmf28d_if.htm
    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/singlefocal/wide/ai_af_20mmf28d.htm
    http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/singlefocal/telephoto/ai_af_dc_135mmf2d.htm

    OK, here's what gives at the index page. There are three groups, the top one
    has three small bullets, the second one has four small bullets, the third
    one has one small bullet.

    The top is AF zoom lenses, the middle is AF fixed-focus lenses, and the
    bottom is teleconverters. The bullets are arranged as follows.

    Zoom:
    -> Wide -> Standard
    -> Tele
    Fixed:
    -> Wide -> Standard
    -> Tele -> Supertele

    When you click the bullet, you'll see the names of the lenses in an alphabet
    you can read.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 16, 2005
  11. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    []
    >> http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    > You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF
    > chart is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide
    > open, something one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech
    > literature.)

    Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 16, 2005
  12. Christopher Yeung

    Norman Guest

    On 16 Aug 2005 09:29:32 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    >> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
    >>lenses please?

    >Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
    >Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
    >tell us which link to use for MTF charts?
    >
    >http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    Try this instead.
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    It's not the best, as the headings & menu items are images, rather than
    translatable text. However, it's a little easier this way, as you do get some
    english. The url goes to AF lenses, so you can just click on Wide, Standard or
    Tele from there. If you look on the left, you'll see DX, AF, MF, so you can
    click on the lens technology(?) there.

    The translation isn't perfect, but it should be understandable.

    - ---
    Norman
    Please reply via group. E-mail ID does not exist.
    Norman, Aug 17, 2005
  13. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:l2uMe.90385$...
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > []
    >>> http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/lens/af/index.htm

    >> You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF
    >> chart is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide
    >> open, something one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech
    >> literature.)

    > Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

    (Obigatory quibble: You mean "Are those _calculated from the design_ or
    measured MTFs?")

    It doesn't say.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 18, 2005
  14. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"

    []
    >> Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

    > (Obigatory quibble: You mean "Are those _calculated from the design_
    > or measured MTFs?")
    >
    > It doesn't say.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    theoretical - "Describing an idea which is part of a theory, or a
    consequence derived from theory." (from:
    http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/glossary.htm). So I reckon if you design
    something, and optical theory is part of that design process, then what
    you get is a theoretical MTF.

    I would be quite happy with the word "predicted" though.

    I would guess that both Canon's and Nikon's MTF data is "predicted", and
    that they will have some production limits against which a sample or
    production units are tested.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 18, 2005