    thought of as just a good idea.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    PAM. Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message > From where I
    stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    > they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    > either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    > Thought anyone?
    > oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    > thought of as just a good idea.

    I can only really speak for myself and yes, it's had it's heyday. I'm just
    waiting on the time when I have a few days to spare when I can back up and
    wipe clean my PC and start again with no dual boot.

    PAM.
    PAM., Sep 6, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:24:40 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    > they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    > either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    > Thought anyone?
    >
    > oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    > thought of as just a good idea.

    Wait for the DoJ restrictions to be lifted (2007 IIRC) then Microsoft will
    be back at full strength, until then everything is stopgap

    Shane, Sep 6, 2005
  4. T'was the Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:24:40 +1200 when I remembered "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <> saying something like this:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    >Thought anyone?

    Windows XP has been great for stability, compared to Windows 98.

    In the Office space, I'm still using XP. I can't comment about Office
    2003, but I do know a lot of people aren't fully using all the
    features of Office 97, let alone Office XP, or 2003, or Office 12.

    Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server is really awesome. I really
    enjoy using that, the To Do List is really neat and helpful.

    I see Microsoft being like IBM, changing their focus all the time, but
    being around for years to come.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 6, 2005
  5. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    >Thought anyone?
    >
    >oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >thought of as just a good idea.

    XL 5 was the "best" XL for me. Complete with everything I needed and with
    great help. Publisher around that time was also "best" for me. So I guess
    I'm saying ... yep ish :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    >Thought anyone?
    >
    >oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >thought of as just a good idea.

    I think you have pretty much summed it up..
    Mutlley, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    >Thought anyone?
    >
    >oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >thought of as just a good idea.

    If only 50% of Windows users are using XP I think that uptake on
    Windows Vista will be a lot slower. That is when I believe MS's
    fortunes will start to plummet.
    GraB, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:24:40 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    > they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    > either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    > Thought anyone?

    I'd put a peak (relative to the competition at least) at 2000 or so.
    Windows 2000, Office 2000 (even though it came out in 99), IE 5, SQL
    Server 2000, Active Directory, Exchage 2000 etc. That year seemed to
    produce a whole lot of interesting new stuff - and it seemed relatively
    innovative.

    Before that (eg NT4), things weren't as well designed or robust. After
    that things stagnated a bit with security problems, not much new or
    innovative stuff happening (the 2001, 2002 versions of stuff were complete
    non events), and the competition improving faster.

    I absolutely detest IE5 now though - even though it was pretty much the
    best browser around in 2000.

    While the 2003 versions of Windows, Office, Exchange, SBS etc are
    noticably better than the 2000 versions I can't help but feel
    overwhelming indifference about them now. It just seems all the
    interesting stuff in software is happening elsewhere now (and happening
    faster too).

    From my perspective at least, where I want to go today doesn't quite seem
    where MS wants me to go.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 7, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:37:46 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Wait for the DoJ restrictions to be lifted (2007 IIRC) then Microsoft will
    > be back at full strength, until then everything is stopgap

    Why should "everything" be "stop gap" because of the antitrust conviction
    against Micro$oft?

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.
    Bling-Bling, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    > they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    > either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    > Thought anyone?
    >
    > oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    > thought of as just a good idea.

    Win98SE.....best mix of Windows compatibility and backward compatibility and
    system stability. Also more secure than any subsequent Windows.
    steve, Sep 10, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mercury Guest

    the US has had its hayday... so i suppose you could be right.
    so consuming - of itself, it's 'greatness', and of others 'air'.

    china is the [next] big thing.

    Mercury, Sep 10, 2005
  12. In message <>, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >> they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >> either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >>
    >> Thought anyone?
    >>
    >> oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >> thought of as just a good idea.

    >Win98SE.....best mix of Windows compatibility and backward compatibility and
    >system stability. Also more secure than any subsequent Windows.

    Yeah, Win98SE, Office 97, IE5... Those were the things that dragged me
    kicking and screaming away from non-MS alternatives... since then
    pretty much everything's been bloat (although I am partial to the
    thumbnail view for folders). I've heard good things about Win2k Pro,
    and XP has the odd useful widget, but mostly I'd be happy never to
    have gone past 98SE.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Sep 12, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:05:46 +1200, R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>, steve
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >>> they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >>> either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >>>
    >>> Thought anyone?
    >>>
    >>> oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >>> thought of as just a good idea.

    >>Win98SE.....best mix of Windows compatibility and backward compatibility and
    >>system stability. Also more secure than any subsequent Windows.

    >Yeah, Win98SE, Office 97, IE5... Those were the things that dragged me
    >kicking and screaming away from non-MS alternatives... since then
    >pretty much everything's been bloat (although I am partial to the
    >thumbnail view for folders). I've heard good things about Win2k Pro,
    >and XP has the odd useful widget, but mostly I'd be happy never to
    >have gone past 98SE.

    Been using 98SE for years, installed with 98Lite. Never used IE, used
    Opera instead and more recently, Firefox. Still have WordPerfect 8
    but now have OpenOffice 1.9.118. I don't know of any compelling
    reason to go to XP and with the experience of family and friends, I
    don't want to. There is the rare programme that won't install on SE
    but alternatives that are as good or better are easily found.

    The only real gremlins I have found are the inability of 98SE to read
    multisession DVD+Rs though it can read multisession DVD+RW without
    problem, and the 28-bit LBA limit which restricts you to 120Gb drives
    (137Gb max of 28-bit LBA). But 98SE doesn't need much anyway.
    GraB, Sep 12, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    > they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    > either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >
    > Thought anyone?
    >
    > oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    > thought of as just a good idea.

    Win2k was definitely their best operating system, ahead of their second
    best, Win98SE.

    Makes me laugh that millions of people are going to throw away their
    perfectly good PCs and stump up the hefty price tag of hardware needed
    to run their upcoming (DRM-crippled) Vista OS.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 12, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    BrianM Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:47:57 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >> they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >> either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >>
    >> Thought anyone?
    >>
    >> oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >> thought of as just a good idea.

    > Win98SE.....best mix of Windows compatibility and backward compatibility
    > and system stability. Also more secure than any subsequent Windows.

    I didn't know MS was into marketing hay - but then I thought another
    post on this group was "Beat me up Scotty"

    BrianM
    (back asleep by now)
    BrianM, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:14:51 GMT, BrianM <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:47:57 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> From where I stand, I see the Office 97 era as Microsofts hayday, when
    >>> they hit their peak of product "goodness". Most since then have been
    >>> either bloated or buggy, possibly with the exception of Win2k
    >>>
    >>> Thought anyone?
    >>>
    >>> oh yeah, I guess this is a bit of a troll, but well, it was initially
    >>> thought of as just a good idea.

    >> Win98SE.....best mix of Windows compatibility and backward compatibility
    >> and system stability. Also more secure than any subsequent Windows.

    >I didn't know MS was into marketing hay - but then I thought another
    >post on this group was "Beat me up Scotty"
    >
    >BrianM
    >(back asleep by now)

    The comment about 98SE is a crock - NT has always been much more
    secure and stable.
    Rob J, Sep 13, 2005
  17. Rob J wrote:
    > The comment about 98SE is a crock - NT has always been much more
    > secure and stable.

    NT the original? I tend to disagree... although it was better at
    recovering from any instability.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 13, 2005