    [04:32:23.828] IdentityCRL CIdentityClient::GetActiveIdentity(0x00000000)
    [04:32:23.828] IdentityCRL spIdentityOut = 0x00000000
    [04:32:23.828] IdentityCRL CIdentityClient::GetActiveIdentity() = 0x80004005
    XPD, Mar 13, 2006

  2. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in
    news::

    > So I tried MSN messenger again (fresh download from the official site)
    > and back to where I started with the firewall issues..... wtf is going
    > on ? Anyone else had this issue lately ?

    What OS?
    MSN Messenger latest version is not able to run on 9x.
    What firewall?
    XP?
    Try removing the firewall rule and then starting msn messenger and allowing
    it.
    More facts about your platform and maybe we can help...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 13, 2006

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in
    >
    >> So I tried MSN messenger again (fresh download from the official site)
    >> and back to where I started with the firewall issues..... wtf is going
    >> on ? Anyone else had this issue lately ?
    >>

    > What OS?

    XP Pro SP2

    > MSN Messenger latest version is not able to run on 9x.
    > What firewall?

    No firewall - XP or otherwise (apart from router which has been reset,
    removed open ports no longer required, ensured nothing else has been touched
    on it.)

    Im starting to think that somehting I have installed has screwed up MSN's
    network detection.... although when I run the MSN troubleshooter, it says it
    can contact the servers etc fine.

    Maybe its time for a reinstall again.... after all, it has been 3 months
    since the last one ;)
    XPD, Mar 13, 2006
  4. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in

    > No firewall - XP or otherwise (apart from router which has been
    > reset, removed open ports no longer required, ensured nothing else has
    > been touched on it.)
    >
    > Im starting to think that somehting I have installed has screwed up
    > MSN's network detection.... although when I run the MSN
    > troubleshooter, it says it can contact the servers etc fine.
    >
    > Maybe its time for a reinstall again.... after all, it has been 3
    > months since the last one ;)

    Try older version?
    Fdisk?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 13, 2006
  5. XPD

    David Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in
    >
    >> No firewall - XP or otherwise (apart from router which has been
    >> reset, removed open ports no longer required, ensured nothing else has
    >> been touched on it.)
    >>
    >> Im starting to think that somehting I have installed has screwed up
    >> MSN's network detection.... although when I run the MSN
    >> troubleshooter, it says it can contact the servers etc fine.
    >>
    >> Maybe its time for a reinstall again.... after all, it has been 3
    >> months since the last one ;)
    >>

    > Try older version?

    www.mess.be has these. Annoying javascript on that site though. Their
    'messpatch' is also very good, I couldn't use msn without it (removes
    ads, all that junk like winks, dynamic backgrounds, 'premium
    services',..., of course you get to choose what gets removed.)

    > Fdisk?

    I fail to see how fdisk applies to this problem. However, before you go
    as far as reinstalling windows, try uninstalling msn and deleting all
    its registry entries (you've probably have already tried this.) Also, as
    an alternative, Miranda IM is nice and light and works (or at least it
    was when I last tried it a few years ago)
    David, Mar 13, 2006
  6. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    David <> wrote in news:1tbRf.5956$:

    >> Fdisk?
    >>

    > I fail to see how fdisk applies to this problem.

    I forgot the smiley 8)

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 13, 2006
  7. XPD

    Geopelia Guest

    I'm having problems too. msn wouldn't recognise my passport, so I installed
    a new one, which it wouldn't recognise either.
    Now I get a message saying something is wrong with msn. I'm going to try
    again later.

    Is it them or me? If they still won't recognise my name or password (new or
    old) maybe I'd better start another account
    with a different email address. What do I click to get to the page for doing
    that, please? ( it's , will msn allow that or must it be
    my Hotmail addres?

    XP has recently been installed (was ME), also PC-cillin 2006 upgrade. My
    computer man says msn is working. Must be something stupid I am doing, but I
    can't think what.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Mar 13, 2006
  8. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:41:04 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >About a month ago my MSN Messenger popped up and said there was a newer
    >version available - so I clicked yes for it to download the latest version.
    >Since then, I had problems with MSN logging in, kept saying there was a
    >firewall issue preventin the connection.....

    MSN Messenger uses Internet Explorer's settings for Proxy Servers etc.
    You might want to double check those settings.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Mar 14, 2006
  9. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:41:04 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>About a month ago my MSN Messenger popped up and said there was a newer
    >>version available - so I clicked yes for it to download the latest
    >>version.
    >>Since then, I had problems with MSN logging in, kept saying there was a
    >>firewall issue preventin the connection.....

    > MSN Messenger uses Internet Explorer's settings for Proxy Servers etc.
    > You might want to double check those settings.

    Heya KJ, long time no see :p

    Youve got a point... I was using an nz external proxy a while ago to avoid
    my data cap ;)
    Checking..... checking..... checking.....
    Nope, all clear there as well.

    Might plug in the fiances computer and see if her msn works....suspecting it
    will.
    XPD, Mar 14, 2006
  10. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:18:49 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >> MSN Messenger uses Internet Explorer's settings for Proxy Servers etc.
    >> You might want to double check those settings.

    >Heya KJ, long time no see :p

    I'm still around.. somewhere..! :)

    >Youve got a point... I was using an nz external proxy a while ago to avoid
    >my data cap ;)
    >Checking..... checking..... checking.....
    >Nope, all clear there as well.

    This reminded me of the fact that one of my parents computers wouldn't
    accept MSN Messenger 7.5.. the built in troubleshooter in MSN said it
    could connect fine, but the MSN client swore black and blue that there
    was a problem in the connection. I ended up going to oldversion.com
    and grabbing MSN Messenger 7.0 and it went no problems.

    I guess at some stage I should re-install MSN 7.5 and actually work
    out what the problem is.

    Not sure if this is exactly the same problem you have.
    Kristofer Clayton, Mar 14, 2006
  11. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Kristofer Clayton <> wrote in

    > I guess at some stage I should re-install MSN 7.5 and actually work
    > out what the problem is.

    Ther is 7.5 and then there are 7.5.12345 etc. The patches for 7.5 are
    there, they are just not in the numbering unless you do a help /about.
    So if it did not work a few months ago, maybe it will now...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 14, 2006