MSN virus

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rich, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Help!!!!!

    Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no reason to
    doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for many years)
    and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same link to other
    contacts. The link is one to a site called
    www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe

    This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc

    The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

    When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error message.

    If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in the
    title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

    I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan horse
    called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

    However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

    I have scanned my system many times to no avail

    Any ideas VERY gratefully received
    Rich, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Rich

    Fred Guest

    Rich, <>, whose name means "picks fights in pubs;
    slobbers when kissing; can’t stop wanking and has more wet dreams than
    anybody else; likes to call his penis his 'pussy-fucker'", bubbled:

    > Help!

    Send an SOS.

    > Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
    > reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for
    > many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same
    > link to other contacts.

    What is there to talk about anyway?

    > The link is one to a site called
    > www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe This is only
    > done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc The side effect is that
    > it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

    Chatting is fun.

    > When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error
    > message.

    Try harder.

    > If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in
    > the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

    Try harder.

    > I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan
    > horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

    I only got my first computer yesterday so I can't be of much help there.

    > However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

    Wait a week or two and see what happens.

    > I have scanned my system many times to no avail Any ideas VERY
    > gratefully received.

    I've had it; I'm leaving.
    Fred, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Why thank you Fred...now go and play with the traffic on a busy road.....

    "Fred" <"fred"@soc.med.sweaty.armpits> wrote in message
    Rich, <>, whose name means "picks fights in pubs;
    slobbers when kissing; can't stop wanking and has more wet dreams than
    anybody else; likes to call his penis his 'pussy-fucker'", bubbled:

    > Help!

    Send an SOS.

    > Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
    > reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for
    > many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same
    > link to other contacts.

    What is there to talk about anyway?

    > The link is one to a site called
    > www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe This is only
    > done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc The side effect is that
    > it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

    Chatting is fun.

    > When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error
    > message.

    Try harder.

    > If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in
    > the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

    Try harder.

    > I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan
    > horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

    I only got my first computer yesterday so I can't be of much help there.

    > However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

    Wait a week or two and see what happens.

    > I have scanned my system many times to no avail Any ideas VERY
    > gratefully received.

    I've had it; I'm leaving.
    Rich, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Rich

    Fred Guest

    Rich, <>, whose name means "likes camels for some
    odd reason; too sensitive", remonstrated:

    > Why thank you Fred.

    You owe me five bucks.

    > now go and play with the traffic on a busy road.

    Go yourself.
    Fred, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Find a gun...load it...put the barrel between your eyes....facing you of
    course...pull the trigger...youll see a blinding flash and the world will be
    a better place

    Rich, Aug 22, 2005
  6. Rich

    Fred Guest

    Rich, <>, whose name means "loud-mouthed; arrogant
    twat", squalled:

    > Find a gun.

    Audiatur et altera pars. You are holding unstated assumptions, Rich.

    > load it...put the barrel between your eyes.

    My pizza is gone.

    > facing you of course.

    I have absolutely no idea what your post is all about, and I'm afraid to dig
    any deeper.

    > pull the trigger.

    The man you ran over just died.

    > youll see a blinding flash and the world will be a better place.

    Better than chocolate.
    Fred, Aug 22, 2005
  7. "Rich" <> wrote in

    > Help!!!!!
    >
    > Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
    > reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known
    > to me for many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps
    > sending out the same link to other contacts. The link is one to a
    > site called www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe
    >
    > This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc
    >
    > The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus
    > completely.
    >
    > When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an
    > error message.
    >
    > If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos
    > etc in the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.
    >
    > I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a
    > trojan horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using
    > AVG.
    >
    > However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still
    > frozen.
    >
    > I have scanned my system many times to no avail
    >
    > Any ideas VERY gratefully received

    Check your hosts file.
    From the helpdesk of David Lipman-

    "Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
    Interpreter {
    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five
    Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
    WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus
    Command Line Scanners to
    remove
    viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:
    \AV-CLS}
    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed
    in Normal Mode. This
    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web
    site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the
    PC.

    You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed
    files or you can
    download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
    downloaded the files
    needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC
    into Safe Mode [F8 key
    during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you
    want to run in Safe
    Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and
    Normal Mode.

    When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
    comprehensive PDF help
    file.

    Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-
    CLS }
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow
    WGET.EXE to go through your
    FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files."

    -max

    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    What's in a Name?, Aug 22, 2005
  8. Rich

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Try the online scan at www.symantec.com
    Download update and run both Adaware and SpyBot

    MrGrumpy, Aug 22, 2005
  9. Rich

    Plato Guest

    Rich wrote:

    disable system restore, then follow below:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/232.htm#2

    Plato, Aug 22, 2005
  10. Rich writes:
    > I now have a virus ... the side effect is that it has frozen
    > my Norton Anti Virus.

    Hi Rich,

    I am qualified -- according to the moderator of
    24hourfuckup.idiotdesk, K. -- to answer this technical
    question (see the section "HELPING OTHERS WHEN YOU CANNOT
    FIX YOUR OWN ISSUES," in the ***OFFICIAL FAQ***).

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...4fa0e?q=OFFICIAL FAQ&rnum=24#f6f2959c5074fa0e

    The reason I am replying is because I have had a similar
    experience with antivirus freezing. Being technically inept,
    I use a pet geek, and I sent my pet geek on a quest to find
    the answer to why the antivirus would not run. The reason
    the antivirus would not load was because another program was
    running which actively blocked it. Geek probed the
    computer with a tool called HiJackThis.

    By running HiJackThis (which makes a log file of all running
    processes, and then by posting the log file to a website:

    http://www.hijackthis.de

    Geek was able to winnow all running programs into known safe
    processes, and unknown processes. If, you are lucky, you
    will have one or two running processes that are unknown. One
    of these will be your nasty.

    You can eliminate each unknown process by turning it off,
    and seeing whether you can load up your AV program.
    Princess Antonomasia, Aug 23, 2005
  11. Rich

    S.Heenan Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Help!!!!!
    >
    > Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
    > reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to
    > me for many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending
    > out the same link to other contacts. The link is one to a site called
    > www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe
    >
    > This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc
    >
    > The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.
    >
    > When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error
    > message.
    > If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc
    > in the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.
    >
    > I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan
    > horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.
    >
    > However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.
    >
    > I have scanned my system many times to no avail
    >
    > Any ideas VERY gratefully received

    Virus Total

    Scan results
    File: download3849.exe

    ----
    AntiVir 6.31.1.0/20050823 found [BDS/VBbot.I.12]
    Avast 4.6.695.0/20050823 found [Win32:VBbot]
    AVG 718/20050822 found nothing
    Avira 6.31.1.0/20050823 found [BDS/VBbot.I.12]
    BitDefender 7.0/20050823 found nothing
    CAT-QuickHeal 8.00/20050822 found [Backdoor.VBbot.i]
    ClamAV devel-20050725/20050822 found nothing
    DrWeb 4.32b/20050823 found nothing
    eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0/20050823 found [Win32/VBbot.A!Worm]
    eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0/20050823 found [Win32.Nochod.I]
    Fortinet 2.41.0.0/20050823 found [W32/VBbot.I-bdr]
    F-Prot 3.16c/20050822 found nothing
    Ikarus 0.2.59.0/20050823 found [Trojan-Spy.Win32.Bancos.JU]
    Kaspersky 4.0.2.24/20050823 found [Backdoor.Win32.VBbot.i]
    McAfee 4564/20050822 found nothing
    NOD32v2 1.1199/20050822 found [Win32/VBbot.I]
    Norman 5.70.10/20050823 found nothing
    Panda 8.02.00/20050823 found [Bck/Botmail.E]
    Sophos 3.96.0/20050823 found [W32/Chode-F]
    Sybari 7.5.1314/20050823 found [Backdoor.Win32.VBbot.i]
    Symantec 8.0/20050823 found nothing
    TheHacker 5.8.2.092/20050822 found nothing
    VBA32 3.10.4/20050822 found [Backdoor.Win32.VBbot.i]

    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32antixa.html

    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=120375&messageID=1366833
    S.Heenan, Aug 23, 2005