    Nog Guest

    msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
    Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?
    Nog, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Nog

    Nog Guest

    Why does MSN Search have to connect to the internet twice, every time I do a
    search on my local drive?

    Nog, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Nog

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <> wrote:

    >msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
    >Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

    Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
    so away with them all.

    The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
    advanced settings on IE6
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Nog wrote:

    > Why does MSN Search have to connect to the internet twice, every time I do
    > a search on my local drive?
    >

    > "Nog" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
    >> Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

    I read something about that. Check the IP addresses. I believe it is connect
    to Microsuck...

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Nog

    winged Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <> wrote:
    >

    >>msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
    >>Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

    > Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
    > so away with them all.
    >
    > The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
    > advanced settings on IE6
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    I agree. Seldom does what they provide "improve" your experience. I
    have never met a toolbar I liked from a spyware perspective that came
    from the net, this includes MSN, Yahoo, etc. The programmatic
    functionality could be useful for several things but I haven't seen any
    free ones of that genre. Sounds like I need to program one ;-)

    From a security perspective, typically the more add-ons/plug-ins you
    use, the wider potential you leave for exploit, and the more likely that
    the vendors patches will break things (though MS probably tests that
    one;-) While some plug-ins can aid security (some firefox extensions for
    example) I have found little value added in using them, though I have
    found (for example) the dragonware reading toolbar useful, but that was
    from a commercial product.

    Winged
    winged, Apr 27, 2005
  6. winged wrote:

    > Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:19:07 -0400, "Nog" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>msntb.dll or MSN Toolbar is listed as a parasite by System Spyware
    >>>Interrogator. Should I uninstall it and clean the registry of it?

    >> Addon toolbars are things you are most likely better off without
    >> so away with them all.
    >>
    >> The option 'disable third party extentions is a good one' in
    >> advanced settings on IE6
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    > I agree. Seldom does what they provide "improve" your experience. I
    > have never met a toolbar I liked from a spyware perspective that came
    > from the net, this includes MSN, Yahoo, etc. The programmatic
    > functionality could be useful for several things but I haven't seen any
    > free ones of that genre. Sounds like I need to program one ;-)
    >
    > From a security perspective, typically the more add-ons/plug-ins you
    > use, the wider potential you leave for exploit, and the more likely that
    > the vendors patches will break things (though MS probably tests that
    > one;-) While some plug-ins can aid security (some firefox extensions for
    > example) I have found little value added in using them, though I have
    > found (for example) the dragonware reading toolbar useful, but that was
    > from a commercial product.
    >

    > Winged

    ...not to meantion every time a friend calls you because they have a spyware
    problem and they want you to fix it you discover they have multiple
    "toolbars"...Coincidence? Maybe, Maybe not :)

    :)

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Nog

    Guest

    Many toolbars need to log into their home server to transmit
    information about you and/or to update files without permission.

    http://www.seekfreak.com/toolbar/ is a freeware toolbar that does not
    report back to the home server or does not even have the ability to
    update any files! It has many additional features (like ad blocker,
    anon surf, URL submits/submissions, etc).

    Majority of toolbar software out there is concidered SpyWare as they
    connect to servers for no specific reason, make sure you read all the
    fine print on the download pages (they by law should warn you).

    Thanks for listening to me...
    http://www.MaxSpider.com
    , Apr 28, 2005