MSN Search Engine in beta at

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bb, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Bb, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Bb

    Invisible Guest

    Invisible, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Bb

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    Pleb Plebian, Nov 12, 2004
  4. It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:04:35 +1300 was when Invisible
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >>http://beta.search.msn.com/
    >>

    >Aiming for the uncluttered Google type look.

    I do like the search build feature, being able to increase or decrease
    the weight of search parameters such as popularity, exactness of fit,
    and currentness of pages. In Firefox (which displays pages nicely, so
    thumbs up there) I tried searching for popular fresh New Zealand pages
    containing "internet". The results at

    http://beta.search.msn.com/results....sh=100} language:en loc:NZ internet&FORM=QBHP

    Weren't terribly relevant, with http://www.internet-encyclopedia.com
    coming up at the first hit. However, when compared to a search for New
    Zealand pages at Google

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=internet&btnG=Google Search&meta=cr=countryNZ

    The results are quite similar, ignoring the Victory University pages.
    Both orcon and ihug feature in the top 10 pages, though both pages
    have roughly the same amount of unrelated pages (rough comparison, no
    statistical comparison taken place).

    I do like the feature on google that pops up related news pages, and
    the feature on MSN that allows feedback on a particular search result.
    Both search engines have caching which is good.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Bb

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Pleb Plebian,

    >> http://beta.search.msn.com/

    > :
    > Works well under Firefox......LOL

    Perform a search upon:

    more evil [1]

    more evil than MS [2]

    Regards,
    Adam

    [1] <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=more+evil>
    ==> Microsoft Corporation, http://www.microsoft.com/

    [2] <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=more+evil+than+MS>
    ==> Firefox - Rediscover the web, http://www.getfirefox.com/
    Adam Warner, Nov 12, 2004
  6. Bb

    Adam Warner Guest

    Adam Warner, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Adam Warner said the following on 12/11/2004 22:52:
    > Hi Bb,
    >

    >>http://beta.search.msn.com/

    > <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

    Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
  8. It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:02:51 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >> <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

    >Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

    Try

    http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD

    Instead.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Bb

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Collector»NZ,

    >> <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

    > Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

    I just found the response "We couldn't find any sites containing FUD."
    amusing, that's all. At least there's no FUD in New Zealand.

    A search for FUD restricted to the domain microsoft.com returns "Get the
    Facts" as the first response (it's seventh otherwise):
    <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD+site%3Amicrosoft.com>

    This likely means many web sites linking to the "Get the Facts" campaign
    have used the description FUD in close proximity to the link. Just one of
    life's little mysteries.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, Nov 12, 2004