MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with vid

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. have set up or assisted in setting up MSN Messenger (v7.5) on several
    PC'sbut now have met a problem I cannot resolve. Despite switching cameras
    and microhpones, the same problem exists. Sound will not work with vision.
    In the Video/Audio setup everything tests out fine and the microphone is
    found. I can invite to a Voice Conversation. Fine. I can invite to view
    webcam. Fine. But in a Voice/Video conversation only video and text are
    permitted. The microphone is shown muted [Red X] and refuses to accept any
    action to un-mute. If the invite is cancelled and switched to a Voice only
    conversation, the mcrohpone is automatically shown as unmuted and works.

    The microphone is not muted in the System and indeed works well alone and in
    vision in other applications (like Eyeball), but not in MSN. I did suspect a
    firewall problem but disabled McAfee and the problem remained. Can anyone
    give me a pointer as to what is likely to be the cause of this problem in MSN?

    I admit this particular Pc system is not of great spec - about 800Mhz CPU,
    256mB RAM running 500mbs Broadband but friends have it working on similar
    PC's. I have tried connecting to several friends from this PC (all of whom
    have MSN Messenger working fine) but the same thing happens each time.

    Any help will be much appriciated.

    Noodles

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=, Nov 6, 2005

  2. You may want to drop a note in the MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger
    newsgroup. They have a few MVPs in there that are pretty good as well as a
    few other volunteers and MSFT folks. I don't think that they monitor the
    certification newsgroup.

    Chances are it is a small firewall issue.
    --
    Bob Christian II
    MVP - LCS

    Bob Christian, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Re: MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with

    Many thanks. Indeed since posting I have discovered the MSN newsgroup and
    find that there are many identical questions already already being raised. At
    least I am not alone. As yet it remains unanswered, but I am hopeful. Again
    thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Re: MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with

    Yes, and you are in good hands down there.
    All kinds of things can prevent voice and video. Firewalls, whether it be
    the one on your PC, your Wireless Cable/DSL router, or even your ISP, or
    broadband internet provider, can all be part of the problem.

    Bob

    Bob Christian, Nov 7, 2005