    of Messenger worth it? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Apr 10, 2005

  2. In message <>, Derrick Fawsitt
    <> writes
    >I recently heard on the Media that MSN Messenger offers voice to voice
    >and video to video links and gave us an example of its quality by
    >conducting the interview through MSN Messenger. I use Skype for voice
    >and (sometimes), Paltalk for video. Is this new version compatible and
    >why also, when I downloaded it on my PC I got named as my daughter's
    >version, even though I used a different password. I doubt she used my
    >email address when she registered with them yet whenever I open it I
    >see here name and her contacts.
    >What have I done wrong and how do I first of all extricate myself and
    >then set up a new registration for myself, but then is MSN's new
    >version of Messenger worth it? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

    I have actually had to post this query in a less appropriate news group
    where I have had it answered satisfactorily. However, I have noticed
    that the help and response here is not in my short experience very
    forthcoming, (I hope I am wrong), and you would think that a question on
    handsets, (a previous query), and now a question on communication would
    at least get a line in response.
    I would like some pointers as to what is the limitations of my remit in
    using this newsgroup, please advise and hopefully perhaps this question
    will stimulate or "provoke" some response, yes?
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Derrick Fawsitt

    Guest

    I don't know how to answer your questions, but I can share my own
    problems with the new Messenger service. Mine is having issues getting
    past the firewall on my computer and will not sign in unless I turn the
    firewall off. it never happened until I updated.
    , Apr 11, 2005
  4. In message <>,
    writes
    >I don't know how to answer your questions, but I can share my own
    >problems with the new Messenger service. Mine is having issues getting
    >past the firewall on my computer and will not sign in unless I turn the
    >firewall off. it never happened until I updated.

    Hi and thank you for at least my first response on this NG. I got the
    following answer in another newsgroup and I am sure that Mike who sent
    it to me won't mind me sharing it with you, it certainly solved my
    problems.

    I quote:-

    "I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible", but it is compatible with
    previous versions of MSN Messenger, but not with Skype. The latest
    version was only released three days ago and is version 7. Voice is on a
    par with or better than Skype IME. Of course the latter has no video -
    yet. MSN has two forms of audio/video

    1) Video Conversation where the codecs used are meant to be an
    improvement on previous versions. The audio is meant to be better
    synchronised with video, and quality of latter is *meant* to be an
    improvement, even allowing full screen video.

    2) Separate webcam and audio links. Even though this is meant to be
    inferior to (1) I have found it better and synchronisation is very good.
    When I use 2, the data upload is between 25-30 KB/sec, as fast as my
    connection will allow.

    Go to the Run box above the "Start" button and type the following into
    it:

    control userpasswords2

    That will bring up another box with two tabs at the top. Go to the
    Advanced tab and click "Manage Passwords". There you'll see all the
    accounts and you should be able to delete the one causing the problems.
    You may also see a .Net passport. That can be removed, as if it is the
    default one you are seeing, it will reappear if still listed.

    Overall, I find MSN quality excellent for both voice and video. But if
    you are using WinXP you might prefer the less bloated Windows Messenger.
    It too does audio/video."

    End of quote.

    I hope you find Mike's comments as helpful as they were to me.

    Kind regards,

    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Apr 12, 2005