MSN Messenger and Webcam Voice probs!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tazzy, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Tazzy

    Tazzy Guest

    Hi people,

    I was wondering if you guys could assist me with my Logitech QuickCam Pro
    4000 and MSN Messenger 6.0. Its driving me insane!! :/

    Variables

    I am running Windows XP Professional

    I am running Zonealarm Pro

    All webcam drivers are installed.

    All hardware and speaker/mic testing has been performed and is working fine.

    Picture: I have no problems with at all. I have connected to friends all
    over the place and I am able to see them, as they are also able to (when
    camera enabled) see myself.

    Voice: Very weird. I cant get it to connect. Now before you say it must be
    zonealarm, Zonealarm is also running when Im getting picture. So I doubt its
    my Zonealarm?? Using a Lan at home (crossover cable between 2 pc's), and
    both PC's signed onto MSN 6.0, I CAN get voice to work from my PC and hear
    it out of the other PC's speakers. I have also once got voice working with a
    dial-up friend who lives near me and who too could hear me.

    So basically my question is, does anyone have this similar problem? That
    even with Zonealarm pro running, Voice works fine but Audio refuses to
    connect. It just says "connecting to ....'s Computer" but never makes it to
    "Connection established". Do you think its a Windows Service that may not be
    switched on that is causing this?? Or maybe I should switch_off_a windows
    service?

    Also I guess that this would apply at both ends. I mean if somebody cant't
    hear me, could this be because they have a firewall as well such as the
    built in XP firewall or another Zonealarm etc? Or maybe its not even related
    to Zonelarm? Is it something else?

    Please assist me with possible solutions - or if any of you have fixed this
    problem.

    Cheers,

    Tuz!
    Tazzy, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Tazzy

    Mark H. Guest

    I am experiencing exactly the same problems with exactly the same
    setup, including ZA. In the past, I've had problems with ZA and VPN,
    and even though I shut it down, it took a complete uninstall of ZA to
    remove the vector surveillance that it does. This may be the problem.
    I'd be happy to uninstall and test it with you if you like.

    It may also be that the other 2 that I'm trying this with have ICF on,
    which I see from other posts may cause the problem. I have ICF off,
    and am behind a Linksys router.

    Mark

    Mark H., Aug 30, 2003